RockShox Sid leaking oil

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Patrick, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    My Sid SL fork is leaking oil from the negative valve - but only when I try to add air. It's holding
    pressure, but when I connect the pump it spits out a big red goober all over my fingers. It's pretty
    new (6 months), so should be covered under warranty. I'm wondering if it's a common problem, and if
    RockShox hassles people about repairing it. Also any suggestions on where the leak is coming from
    are appreciated in case I have to attempt repairs myself.

    -Patrick

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My Sid SL fork is leaking oil from the negative valve - but only when I try to add air. It's
    > holding pressure, but when I connect the pump it spits out a big red goober all over my fingers.
    > It's pretty new (6 months), so should be covered under warranty. I'm wondering if it's a common
    > problem, and if RockShox hassles people about repairing it. Also any suggestions on where the leak
    > is coming from are appreciated in case I have to attempt repairs myself.

    If its still under warranty, send it back. Don't bother to fix it yourself, they should be able to
    back their product up.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Patrick) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My Sid SL fork is leaking oil from the negative valve - but only when I try to add air. It's
    > holding pressure, but when I connect the pump it spits out a big red goober all over my fingers.
    > It's pretty new (6 months), so should be covered under warranty. I'm wondering if it's a common
    > problem, and if RockShox hassles people about repairing it. Also any suggestions on where the leak
    > is coming from are appreciated in case I have to attempt repairs myself.
    >
    > -Patrick

    Throw it away and buy a Marzocchi Marathon 80mm.

    JD

  4. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    > [email protected] (Patrick) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My Sid SL fork is leaking oil from the negative valve - but only when I try to add air. It's
    > > holding pressure, but when I connect the pump it spits out a big red goober all over my fingers.
    > > It's pretty new (6 months), so should be covered under warranty. I'm wondering if it's a common
    > > problem, and if RockShox hassles people about repairing it. Also any suggestions on where the
    > > leak is coming from are appreciated in case I have to attempt repairs myself.
    > >
    > > -Patrick
    >
    > Throw it away and buy a Marzocchi Marathon 80mm.
    >
    > JD

    Good call, I hate those SIDs

  5. Patrick wrote:
    > My Sid SL fork is leaking oil from the negative valve - but only when I try to add air. It's
    > holding pressure, but when I connect the pump it spits out a big red goober all over my fingers.
    > It's pretty new (6 months), so should be covered under warranty. I'm wondering if it's a common
    > problem, and if RockShox hassles people about repairing it. Also any suggestions on where the leak
    > is coming from are appreciated in case I have to attempt repairs myself.
    >
    > -Patrick
    it's a fairly common thing, the oil pools on the bottom, turn the bike over for a couple of minutes
    before adding the air, problem solved.
    --
    James Connell