Rode the "Road To Nowhere" in Western North Carolina - PHEW!

kaian

Aug 22, 2004
Last week a friend and I hung out in western North Carolina (Bryson City) and we took our MTBs and road bikes with us. We read in a book about road riding in that area that the "Road To Nowhere" was a good ride because of lack of traffic and also the scenery. WHEW!!!! Both of us rode most of the way in our granny gear. Half of the ride is up hill and the other half is very steep, winding downhill. It was a very challenging workout, but so worth it! I'm proud to say that I made it up each incline - never stopping to walk the bike up. I think it's the most challenging riding I've done yet, just because of how steep and how constant the uphill riding was. Plus, us Michiganders aren't use to that mountain air!

Anyone else ride this road? I can't wait to go back and try some even larger uphills!!!

I've hiked this road, downhill thank god, during the third day of a five day solo trip across the western part of the Smokys. Started at Twentymile, ended up @ Elkmont. It connects a couple trails. It was so damn hot that day and I'd already had ten miles under my belt that day. You wouldn't think it, but hard pavement in stiff boots after a few 12 miles days on the trail is REALLY painful on the arches.

It was very scenic, probably one of most beautiful parts of the trip.

I'd love to do some road biking around there. Here in Chicago it's really tough to get challenging hill workouts. I bet that hill the otherway around was an a** kicker. How many miles, exactly?

It really wasn't a long route because we started in Bryson City and went to where the barricade is - then turned around and went back. So...14-15 miles ??? Even though it's short mileage, it's not an easy ride AT ALL! It's constant climbing (except for the 2-3 extreme downhills each direction). I loved it! I've been realizing recently that I enjoy conquering extreme hills and that I'm actually pretty good at climbing (nowhere near a pro or an advanced cyclist), but I'll get there!

kaian said:
Last week a friend and I hung out in western North Carolina (Bryson City) and we took our MTBs and road bikes with us. We read in a book about road riding in that area that the "Road To Nowhere" was a good ride because of lack of traffic and also the scenery. WHEW!!!! Both of us rode most of the way in our granny gear. Half of the ride is up hill and the other half is very steep, winding downhill. It was a very challenging workout, but so worth it! I'm proud to say that I made it up each incline - never stopping to walk the bike up. I think it's the most challenging riding I've done yet, just because of how steep and how constant the uphill riding was. Plus, us Michiganders aren't use to that mountain air!

Anyone else ride this road? I can't wait to go back and try some even larger uphills!!!

I live just the other side of the Smokies and yes it is steep. The roads here are after thoughts from a day gone by fo rthe most part.
You are either going up or down constantly.
I would not have it any other way.