"Alan Holbrook" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:OK, so I wanted a new kitchen toy and I'm on a tight budget for a while
and
my wife and I ate recently at an Italian restaurant where the waiter hand
grated the cheese over the dish with one of those rotary thingies. So I
said "Voila!" (not speaking enough Italian to know the equivalent
expression in that language), and went off in search of one. And nothing
ever being as simple as first conceived, I quickly discovered that there
is
a great range in price, that some have multiple barrels and some only one,
some come apart and some don't, some (according to reviews) work and some
don't, etc.
So does anyone have a favorite rotary grater that handles fine, medium,
and
coarse, and does cheeses, nuts and chocolate, that they'd care to
recommend?
TIA...
I bought the Zyliss with the big drum. It looks a bit weird, but so far I've
been happy with it. Honestly, most graters handle hard cheeses well enough,
but are lousy with anything slightly soft. So the instructions say to freeze
the cheese first. The Zyliss (with the big drum, I don't know about the ones
with the normal-sized drums) does softer cheeses {like Swiss or cheddar)
very well.
It only has two drums, the fine, which you'd normally use for harder cheeses
like parmesan, and the coarse, which is meant for soft cheeses. It comes
apart and goes into the dishwasher. The handle folds into the drum, so it
stores a little easier.
The one thing I never liked about the rotary graters is the awkwardness of
holding the thing closed and applying pressure while you grate. It's okay
for a little while, but it doesn't take long before I start getting a cramp
in my hand. A rubber band around the handle solved the problem really well.
You might still need to apply a little more pressure, but it makes the job a
lot easier.
HTH,
Donna