RR McMud and some mud and a race

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    As y'all should know by know, got the lock off my bike Thursday. the original plan was to meet LaRae
    ( cutiepie) down at High Bridge park to check out the course for the McMud fest, an easy race. She
    convinced me to ride beginner class with her. We rode the lap 2x yesterday... first lap I just had
    to get my bike legs going (first time out this year) and second lap it all came back to me.

    OK, Today is race day. It's been a steady rain since last night, still going this am. I keep saying
    to myself " I will not weenie out due to the weather" over and over again. Pack the goretex, some
    tea in a thermos, and load up the gear.

    The course is just a windy ( think super twisty) loop, 3.2 miles through a scummy neglected little
    park at the confluence of Latah Creek and the Spokane River. The "high bridges" are one freeway, one
    or two train bridges and a double lane thoroughfare, all above us at one end of the park. Normally
    I've be having a fit about the mud pits... but face it... in this park the only fair weather
    activities are gay cruising and homeless camping. Not an environmentally sensitive area, what with
    all the condoms, beer bottles and syringes in the undergrowth.

    Anyway, a few little tiny climbs, a lot of mud, windy trail thought the pine trees,

    OK... just out to have fun, totally non aggressive start, passed three girls, got lapped by a couple
    of kids, nailed corners that gave me fits yesterday, hung on for dear life in the mud pits, did
    totally awesome on the short/steep climbs. 3 laps for 10 miles. Then I passed the lone
    XC/downhill guy ( rules: bike must have 12" travel, one front ring, big tires, weigh +#35 and no
    lycra) and went on my merry way.

    All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I was done and ready for
    another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old babe
    there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Yes it still counts.good luck the rest of the year.

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > OK... just out to have fun, totally non aggressive start, passed three girls, got lapped by a
    > couple of kids, nailed corners that gave me fits yesterday, hung on for dear life in the mud pits,
    > did totally awesome on the short/steep climbs. 3 laps for 10 miles. Then I passed the lone
    > XC/downhill guy ( rules: bike must have 12" travel, one front ring, big tires, weigh +#35 and no
    > lycra) and went on my merry way.

    Slacker went all that way for a race?

    > All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I
    was
    > done and ready for another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I
    > was the only old
    babe
    > there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
    >
    > Penny

    A win is a win and don't let anyone tell you any different. WTG!!!

    Mike

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As y'all should know by know, got the lock off my bike Thursday. the original plan was to meet
    > LaRae ( cutiepie) down at High Bridge park to check out the course for the McMud fest, an easy
    > race. She convinced me
    > ride beginner class with her. We rode the lap 2x yesterday... first lap I just had to get my bike
    > legs going (first time out this year) and second
    lap
    > it all came back to me.
    >
    > OK, Today is race day. It's been a steady rain since last night, still
    going
    > this am. I keep saying to myself " I will not weenie out due to the weather" over and over again.
    > Pack the goretex, some tea in a thermos, and load up the gear.
    >
    > The course is just a windy ( think super twisty) loop, 3.2 miles through a scummy neglected little
    > park at the confluence of Latah Creek and the Spokane River. The "high bridges" are one freeway,
    > one or two train
    bridges
    > and a double lane thoroughfare, all above us at one end of the park. Normally I've be having a fit
    > about the mud pits... but face it... in
    this
    > park the only fair weather activities are gay cruising and homeless
    camping.
    > Not an environmentally sensitive area, what with all the condoms, beer bottles and syringes in the
    > undergrowth.
    >
    > Anyway, a few little tiny climbs, a lot of mud, windy trail thought the
    pine
    > trees,
    >
    > OK... just out to have fun, totally non aggressive start, passed three girls, got lapped by a
    > couple of kids, nailed corners that gave me fits yesterday, hung on for dear life in the mud pits,
    > did totally awesome on the short/steep climbs. 3 laps for 10 miles. Then I passed the lone
    > XC/downhill guy ( rules: bike must have 12" travel, one front ring, big tires, weigh +#35 and no
    > lycra) and went on my merry way.
    >
    > All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I
    was
    > done and ready for another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I
    > was the only old
    babe
    > there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..

    GWF! So, how many others did you beat, from whatever category? - Sure you musta kicked arse!

    Shaun aRe

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I was done and ready for
    >> another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old
    >> babe there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
    >
    > GWF! So, how many others did you beat, from whatever category? - Sure you musta kicked arse!
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    It's all in the original post. You gotta quit scanning everything and go for the content.

    Penny

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I was done and ready for
    > >> another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old
    > >> babe there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
    > >
    > > GWF! So, how many others did you beat, from whatever category? - Sure you musta kicked arse!
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > It's all in the original post.

    You sure? You mention 'passing' 4 people, but you never said if they passed you afterwards.

    > You gotta quit scanning everything and go for the content.

    I read the whole lot, Penny - don't make such huge assumptions ',;~P```

    Shaun aRe

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >>> GWF! So, how many others did you beat, from whatever category? - Sure you musta kicked arse!
    >>>
    >>> Shaun aRe
    >>
    >> It's all in the original post.
    >
    > You sure? You mention 'passing' 4 people, but you never said if they passed you afterwards.
    >
    >> You gotta quit scanning everything and go for the content.
    >
    > I read the whole lot, Penny - don't make such huge assumptions ',;~P```

    Ok, ok.... I don't know how many women were in the class. 10-15? I got a slow start (last) and
    passed 4 other women in the first lap. All the beginner women started at the same time, tho we were
    on the course with beginner men and beginner teen boys, who all started at intervals before us.

    Everyone I passed I stayed in front of. Does that help?

    Penny

  8. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > As y'all should know by know, got the lock off my bike Thursday. the original plan was to meet
    > LaRae ( cutiepie) down at High Bridge park to check out the course for the McMud fest, an easy
    > race. She convinced me to ride beginner class with her. We rode the lap 2x yesterday... first
    > lap I just had to get my bike legs going (first time out this year) and second lap it all came
    > back to me.
    >
    > OK, Today is race day. It's been a steady rain since last night, still going this am. I keep
    > saying to myself " I will not weenie out due to the weather" over and over again. Pack the
    > goretex, some tea in a thermos, and load up the gear.
    >
    > The course is just a windy ( think super twisty) loop, 3.2 miles through a scummy neglected little
    > park at the confluence of Latah Creek and the Spokane River. The "high bridges" are one freeway,
    > one or two train bridges and a double lane thoroughfare, all above us at one end of the park.
    > Normally I've be having a fit about the mud pits... but face it... in this park the only fair
    > weather activities are gay cruising and homeless camping. Not an environmentally sensitive area,
    > what with all the condoms, beer bottles and syringes in the undergrowth.
    >
    > Anyway, a few little tiny climbs, a lot of mud, windy trail thought the pine trees,
    >
    > OK... just out to have fun, totally non aggressive start, passed three girls, got lapped by a
    > couple of kids, nailed corners that gave me fits yesterday, hung on for dear life in the mud pits,
    > did totally awesome on the short/steep climbs. 3 laps for 10 miles. Then I passed the lone
    > XC/downhill guy ( rules: bike must have 12" travel, one front ring, big tires, weigh +#35 and no
    > lycra) and went on my merry way.
    >
    > All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I was done and ready for
    > another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old babe
    > there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
    >
    > Penny

    Congratulations! Fun report on a sloppy race, but you're back in the saddle. Any pics?

    Paladin

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Paladin wrote:
    >> Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old babe there so I still
    >> haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
    >>
    >> Penny
    >

    > Congratulations! Fun report on a sloppy race, but you're back in the saddle. Any pics?
    >
    > Paladin

    Hah you missed the post where Craig dropped the digital camera not once but twice into the crawl
    space (asbestos dust? zonolite dust?) while looking at the underside of the roof. *system error*
    *system error* *system error* *system error* *system error* *system error* *system error* *system
    error* *system error* *system error*

    I may get some in a few days from a team guy I know.

    Penny

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >> It's all in the original post.
    > >
    > > You sure? You mention 'passing' 4 people, but you never said if they passed you afterwards.
    > >
    > >> You gotta quit scanning everything and go for the content.
    > >
    > > I read the whole lot, Penny - don't make such huge assumptions ',;~P```
    > >

    > Ok, ok.... I don't know how many women were in the class. 10-15? I got
    > slow start (last) and passed 4 other women in the first lap. All the beginner women started at the
    > same time, tho we were on the course with beginner men and beginner teen boys, who all started at
    > intervals before
    us.

    > Everyone I passed I stayed in front of. Does that help?

    Yes Penny - helps a lot ta! Anyhow, nice work ',;~}

    Shaun aRe