RR & Photos from Moab and Fruita

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Flyingcoyote, May 2, 2003.

  1. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    Photos were a little disapointing to me, they didn't turn out too well and they definitely don't
    capture the magnitude and beauty of the area. Just another excuse to go back again soon, eh? ;)

    Fruita and Moab was one of the best times I've ever had. The trails there are so incredibly fun and
    the views so breathtakingly intense.

    We all had a total blast.

    Drove up Friday to arrive Saturday morning somewhere around 3.30am. We slept for a few hours before
    heading over to the FFTF. The FFTF was pretty cool - in a vendor booth kinda way. We decided to go
    on a ride of our devise (with help from locals) rather than pay the reg fee for a guided tour with
    the Fruita Fat Tire Festival.

    The 7 of us ended up riding Mary's Loop and nearly all of it's sub-loops for around 30 miles of some
    of the suh-weetest trails I've ever ridden. Horse Thief Bench! Oh yes.. I will ride that again.
    Steve's Loop... alluvim!

    Saturday night we drove to Moab and camped out in the Slickrock campgrounds. After some initial
    confusion with our campsites we finally settled down to rest amongst the crowds of 4-wheelers.

    Sunday we got up somewhat early and headed for the Slickrock trail. Wow... talk about views. The
    word "intense" kept echoing through my skull as we rode the trail at a fair pace with lots of
    regrouping stops. (Plenty of time for photos!) Slickrock was sooo fun... you just gotta love all
    those little steeps. Later Sunday night we ate a delicious dinner at the Moab Brewery after which we
    went for a night ride at Gemini Arches (started at the bottom and climbed up for a bit before
    heading back down - somewhere around 10 miles).

    Monday we headed for the Porcupine Rim trail where we met up with another group of 7 (US Nat'l
    Coastguard buddies) in addition to our own
    7 . This is easily, easily, easily my new favorite trail! A semi-technical climb (even after
    shuttling ourselves) to an absolutely incredible view followed by one of the most fun descents
    I've ever ridden. Rocky sometimes (and sometimes very technical), others smooth... starting with
    fireroad/doubletrack and winding down into some sweeeeeet singeltrack with drop after drop,
    racing to the bottom as if our lives depended on getting to the bottom as fast as possible... we
    were hauling something fierce for being almost all XC'ers.

    A couple injuries on the Porcupine Rim trail included a girl (not in our group) who was riding a
    rigid bike, fell and broke her arm up pretty good. Our US Coastguard buddies gave her a makeshift
    cast and fixed her up a little. Eric (our group) decided to endo, flinging his bike up and over his
    head, landing on his head, splitting his helmet and scaring the crap outta us when all he said was
    "don't touch me..." as he lay there in the middle of the trail. Fortunately, after some toe wiggling
    and limb checking he ended being shaken but okay. Whew!

    After Porcupine Rim we headed for the Amasa Back trail. 4x4's up the wazoo but they were kinda neat
    to watch going over some of that stuff. Amasa Back was a blast to ride with a semi-technical ride
    out and back. Lots of places to play on the rocks, practice ride-ups, bunny hops, drops - you name
    it. Rod took a little spill, earning some blood but nothing too bad.

    Finishing with Amasa Back we ate again at the Moab Brewery before back to camp to start packing and
    get ready for the drive back on Tuesday. Sigh.

    Photos: http://www.boarsgut.com/photos-public/MTB/Fruita&Moab/

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

  2. On Fri, 2 May 2003 08:52:17 -0700, in alt.mountain-bike you wrote:

    |Sunday we got up somewhat early and headed for the Slickrock trail. |Wow... talk about views.

    Good stuff.

    Did you hear me honk as we drove by Moab on our way home on Sunday?

    http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/fftf03/cc/swell.jpg

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Beautiful scenery... One of these days I'll be there!

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > cast and fixed her up a little. Eric (our group) decided to endo, flinging his bike up and over
    > his head, landing on his head, splitting his helmet and scaring the crap outta us when all he said
    > was "don't touch me..." as he lay there in the middle of the trail. Fortunately, after some toe
    > wiggling and limb checking he ended being shaken but okay. Whew!
    >
    > After Porcupine Rim we headed for the Amasa Back trail. 4x4's up the wazoo but they were kinda
    > neat to watch going over some of that stuff. Amasa Back was a blast to ride with a semi-technical
    > ride out and back. Lots of places to play on the rocks, practice ride-ups, bunny hops, drops - you
    > name it. Rod took a little spill, earning some blood but nothing too bad.
    >
    > Finishing with Amasa Back we ate again at the Moab Brewery before back to camp to start packing
    > and get ready for the drive back on Tuesday. Sigh.

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    "nick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I got a big bonus from work last week, and I want the best all round bike available. I would get
    > the best for each discipline, but they don't pay me that much. So, anyone want to suggest a few
    > bike to me?
    >
    > nick

    Turner. Whatever discipline you do most often - pick one to suit.

    Steve E.

  5. On 2 May 2003 16:50:19 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 2 May 2003 08:52:17 -0700, FlyingCoyote wrote:
    >
    >> Photos: http://www.boarsgut.com/photos-public/MTB/Fruita&Moab/
    >
    >A lotta rides in a short time...you must be younger than me! The thing that surprised me about Moab
    >was just how beautiful the area was. Seems like you didn't have much to say about Fruita, hmmm...

    Yeah, the Fruita area isn't beautiful by any stretch of the imagination...

    http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/fftf03/ribbon/scale.jpg

    http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/fftf03/moore/topview.jpg

    http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/fftf03/moore/kevswitch.jpg

    http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/bookcliffsrainbow1_jpg.jpg

    They are both beautiful spots.

  6. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > Yeah, the Fruita area isn't beautiful by any stretch of the imagination...
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/fftf03/ribbon/scale.jpg
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/fftf03/moore/topview.jpg
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/fftf03/moore/kevswitch.jpg
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/bookcliffsrainbow1_jpg.jpg
    >
    > They are both beautiful spots.

    ...if you're into rocks 'n dirt 'n shit like that...

    Matt