RR: Virgina Road Trip (Long)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ride-A-Lot, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    [Inline version here: ]

    Virgina Road Trip

    What do you get when you mix a lot of drivable destination research,
    four whacky mountain bikers, and a need for mountains? Virginia.

    The original plan was to spend three nights in Douthat State Park and
    ride two of those days. Douthat is a large state park connected to the
    George Washington National Forest (the Shenandoah mountain range). With
    over 40 miles of trails in the state park alone, and extra credit
    branching out into the national forest, we knew it would be a great
    trip. Add Mike Dart to the herd and it was a fantastic experience. He
    graciously agreed to be our guide, listen to the antics of us maniacs,
    and show us all how a damn good mountain biker rides.

    As often happens with plans, they change. Rodger suggested that we
    start driving on Wednesday night after work, go as far as we could, and
    then crash in a cheap hotel. This would give us a chance to ride the
    Southern Traverse (an IMBA epic) on Thursday. I agreed but the other
    two couldn't make it and since we were in two cars, they could get to
    the campground at their leisure.

    Day 1 - The Epic To End All Epics

    How bad could it be? Depending upon what you read, it's only 17 miles
    of singletrack. Piece of cake! Plus there's a bail-out at 11 miles,
    just in case.

    We ease into Harrisonburg, VA and the bike shop "in charge" of the epic.
    We had tried to arrange a shuttle since the trail is end-to-end and
    probably would not want to endure the 10 mile "rolling hill" road ride
    back to the car. Their idea of shuttle was to drive your car. Huh? No
    thanks. So we stop and try to score a trail map. Shop closed until
    11:00. On a weekday? No problem, we have the trusty GPS and I am sure
    I loaded the correct maps. So another forty minutes down the road and
    we reach the parking area. I abandoned the helmetcam for this ride.
    Thirty seven miles with five pounds on my head is too much. I did bring
    the handcam though and shot a little video (20 MB) which can be viewed
    here: http://www.schnauzers.ws/va.wmv

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3554.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3555.jpg

    The parking area is actually on private land with a public access road
    running through. No one screamed at us and the directions said to park
    there, so we did. Then begins the four mile 1300' fire road climb to
    the trailhead at the Shenandoah Mountain Trail. Not the starting time
    of 10:30 AM) We kept thinking why not drive up to the trailhead, and
    then reality set in. We'd have to climb up to the car at the end of the
    ride.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3556.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3557.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3558.jpg

    I have to keep telling myself to conserve energy. At times I think I
    was climbing to fast and not really taking into account how long and
    hard this ride was going to be. I had one flat along the way in a slime
    tube. That's not supposed to happen. Change it and continue on.

    We reach the top of the fire road, but no the top of the climb.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3563.jpg

    The trailhead and trail were well marked, signed, and blazed. I never
    see that in the local trails I ride. The sign clearly shows the bail
    out point of Jerkemtight Road. Nice name! As you'll read later on, it
    should have been called Jerkemaround Road.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3564.jpg

    The trail now climbs another 1000' feet up singletrack and some of it
    quite technical and exposed. The leaves are 6" deep in some spots
    making it hard to tell where the rocks are or the edge of the trail for
    that matter. This is a long hard climb. It's a steeper grade than the
    fire road and the angle of the trail cut is causing me to use a lot more
    upper body to balance the right direction. It's fatiguing to say the least.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3565.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3566.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3567.jpg

    Once at the top of the bump (3600') it becomes an 11 mile undulating
    (read mostly climbing) ridge ride of no return. The first part of that
    starts with a downhill and some ridge riding.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3568.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3569.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3571.jpg

    Then some more uphill (a lot more) along the ridge.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3572.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3573.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3574.jpg

    We reach the top of another summer and pause to take in the view.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3575.jpg

    Then it's onto what looks like a long downhill with rocky goodness. I
    head down a bit to take Roger's picture and the continue bombing.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3576.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3577.jpg

    Lot's of fun but I know it's only temporary as we are only half way.
    Then toward the end of the DH there are two log overs about 10 feet
    apart. I am moving at a fairly good pace, my confidence level is high,
    and I know I can bunny hop both in succession. I hop one, but the trail
    is steep and I pick up more speed than anticipated in the landing. I go
    to hop the second and it's too early. BAM! Front wheel into the log
    and over I go. I land with my fist up under my right rib rack and into
    my gut. I swear I saw every star in the universe and for the next ten
    minutes I am trying to catch my breathe and deal with the pain at the
    same time. Roger comes down the hill and sees me curled up in a ball
    moaning.

    I am hurting bad but nothing is broken, so I suck it up and head off
    again. About half a mile more I realize the GPS is not attached to my
    bike anymore. That's not a good thing since we don't have a map, I am
    slowing down from the pain, and water is now being rationed. Roger heads
    back up to the crash site to see if the GPS is there and I follow a few
    minutes later. I thought we were all alone, but he's talking to a group
    of riders from Montreal Canada and they found my GPS. They asked why
    were chose this as our first ride of the region. Uh-oh. The they asked
    if we had a map. Their reply was an astonished, "You don't have a
    map?". I pointed to the GPS, but I don't think they understood. The
    offered to lead us on, but at that point I knew I was not going to have
    the energy to keep up with them after being hurt. We trailed them until
    the took a rest and I told them to go on.

    We assessed our situation. It was getting late and so we decided to
    take the Jerkemtight bail-out. We continue riding the ridge up... up...
    up... down... up... up... (you the picture). I am looking at the GPS
    and I see Jerkemtight Road on the screen as well as the trail. At the
    point where it looks like the connect, I stop and see nothing. Roger
    says it must be a little further. We ride another two miles and
    nothing. At this point I say we missed it but I am not going to try and
    go back. It's very late and I have about two ounces of water left. I
    can see farms to my right, but no trail down. I see nothing on the left
    (where we want to go). The GPS is not helping much now as the road I
    want to get to (629) looks like an eternity from here. The pain in my
    gut starts eating at my mind and I begin to wonder about survival mode.
    No matches, lighter, food, water, or flashlight and I'm stuck 3500'
    above anything and in pain. I press on and suddenly the mountain stops
    climbing. Could this be it? The five mile ear-to-ear grinning
    downhill? I look at the GPS and there is 627 connecting to 629 at the
    end of this DH. Hit it!

    I try to go as fast as I can but I am so tired I can't even enjoy it. I
    also have reality bite me on the ass that it's 10 miles back to the car
    at the end. Then another whammy hits me as my rear starts sliding all
    over the trail. Another flat!!! That's not good - no more tubes. I
    figure I am about half way up still, so I just pump it up and continue
    down snapping a photo (first one since the crash) before I take off.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3578.jpg

    Finally we reach 627 and it's all downhill until 629. Still 10 miles to
    go, flat tire, no phone service, and no water I have to make a judgment
    call to get up the nerve in deliverance country and ask for water.
    Another pump up of the tire and I spot an old man sitting on the porch
    of one of the "nicer" looking homes. He waves, so I think he's friendly
    and approach. I ask him for water and he asks if I am Johnny. OK, must
    be a language barrier. I ask again if I could get some water. He tells
    me he's blind. I am just about to give up, but I ask one more time
    using words like sink, faucet, and hose along with water. He says sure
    come in and get what you need telling me it's pure tested well water.
    OK, I'll deal with the stomach problems later, I say to myself.

    I fill up the 'bak all the way, thank him, and even give a god bless (I
    figure that most of the people around these parts are religiously oriented).

    I drink almost a quarter of it before hitting 629 and stopping to try
    and patch the tube. I send Roger on with the keys and tell him I
    continue on once the tire is fixed. After fumbling with the pump for 20
    minutes (it's new and defaulted to Shraeder), I get the tube patched and
    head off on a long road haul. About six miles in, Roger meets me with
    the truck and we head off to the campground, dejected. Thirty seven
    miles of riding took us 10 hours. My personal worst.

    Would I do it again? Sure. But I'll know what to expect and prepare
    for next time.

    Here's some GPS info. It's a little off because of the crash and
    getting the unit back. So there is a flat/straight point that is really
    more down and up.

    stel.jpg

    sttop.jpg

    stsat.jpg

    Day 2

    Douthat Intro

    After arriving at camp at 10:30 PM, we quickly set up the tent,
    introduce ourselves to Mike, talk around the fire a few minuted and then
    head off to bed. Rain starts heading in as we settle down.

    Dan and Jeff arrive around 7:30 AM and we setup as the rain stops. Our
    tent city sprouts on one of the nicest campgrounds I have ever seen.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3579.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3580.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3581.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3582.jpg

    Having an accomplished rider like Mike Dart lead us is a bit
    intimidating, but he quickly adapts to our abilities and takes us on a
    short primer of Douthat. Starting with a long haul climb to the top of
    one of the ridges.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3584.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3585.jpg

    I find myself hanging in the back as my adventure from yesterday has
    taken a serious toll on my energy along with some breathing difficulties
    from the pain. Still, I am determined and he leads us on to some
    lookout spots along more rocky ridge riding.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3590.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3591.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3592.jpg

    A little more climbing with well marked trails and then a three mile
    stretch of smoking downhill back to camp. Mike kicks ass on the DH even
    in wet rocky and rooty conditions. Short, but enough to kill me for the
    day as I put on my tour operator hat and make lunch for the gang.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3594.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3596.jpg

    After lunch Jeff, Dan, and Mike head out for another ride. I stay back
    and nurse my wounds.

    Day 3

    The rain has been continuous all night long and no exception when we
    wake up. We decide to give it until 11:00. The trails here are not
    effected by water except for slippery conditions. You can't put ruts in
    rock. Just as we are about to call it a wash (pun intended), the rain
    stops. Procrastinated a bit, we finally suit up and head out and a
    great 13 mile ride. I skip the camera fearing rain. Mike takes us up a
    2000' climb to the highest peak in the park. The climb starts off very
    technical but the slippery rocks are no match for the Kenda Stick-E's. I
    am feeling better despite the sticking in my side from a bruised rib.
    It's humid and I am dressed way too warm, but I complete the climb not
    far from the front of the pack. Then it's some fun ridge riding to the
    downhill. Five miles down to camp on a blasting singletrack with rocks,
    berms, and a rutted washed out finish that does launch after launch. I
    still haven't been able to uncurl my hands! The smiles on our faces at
    the end covered in wet dirt says it all!

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3597.jpg

    I am going to have to return and hope the weather is nicer. It would
    have been great to go a little faster on the DH, but the wet leaves and
    rocks made it a little sketchy.

    Mike was a great host/guide. Another great person I have found to ride
    with all through the Internet.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

  3. JD

    JD Guest

    Road trip rule #1: Don't crash hard your first day.

    JD

  4. Slack

    Slack Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:12:24 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [Inline version here: ]
    >
    > Virgina Road Trip

    <snip>

    > Mike was a great host/guide. Another great person I have found to ride
    > with all through the Internet.

    Nice report and good company. That Mike dude *almost* looks as old as JD
    :p I say this humbly because I know either one would whoop my ass up &
    down the hill.
    _____
    Slack

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > [Inline version here: ]
    >
    > Virgina Road Trip
    >
    > What do you get when you mix a lot of drivable destination research,
    > four whacky mountain bikers, and a need for mountains? Virginia.
    >
    > The original plan was to spend three nights in Douthat State Park and
    > ride two of those days. Douthat is a large state park connected to the
    > George Washington National Forest (the Shenandoah mountain range).
    > With over 40 miles of trails in the state park alone, and extra credit
    > branching out into the national forest, we knew it would be a great
    > trip. Add Mike Dart to the herd and it was a fantastic experience.
    > He graciously agreed to be our guide, listen to the antics of us
    > maniacs,
    > and show us all how a damn good mountain biker rides.

    <snip>

    > Mike was a great host/guide. Another great person I have found to
    > ride with all through the Internet.

    Hehehe... thanks Mitch! Damn I hope I can live up you your build up. ;^)

    I really enjoyed showing y'all my favorite spot to ride the the whole state.
    Nothing warms a heart like turning around at the bottom of a downhill and
    seeing a bunch of bug-in-teeth grins!

    Good luck on your interview and hope we can ride again soon!

    Mike - "Shut yer pie hole and ride!!!" (Ya had to be there)

  6. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

  7. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    > Good luck on your interview and hope we can ride again soon!

    We will.

    > Mike - "Shut yer pie hole and ride!!!" (Ya had to be there)

    LOL! We've almost fully converted Dan from a Georgia Hillbilly to a
    full blown, foul mouthed Yank.

    Honest, he used to be such a quiet and shy boy.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  8. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    GeeDubb wrote:

    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >>> [Inline version here: http://tinyurl.com/jbek2]

    >> --
    >> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    >> www.schnauzers.ws

    > oooohhhhhhh my god, look at the freaking glass water on that lake
    >
    > can anybody here say....
    >
    > HIT IT!
    >
    > skiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiski
    >
    > Gary

    Electric motors only. Can't upset the local trout fishermen.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  9. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > GeeDubb wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    >>> www.schnauzers.ws

    >> oooohhhhhhh my god, look at the freaking glass water on that lake
    >>
    >> can anybody here say....
    >>
    >> HIT IT!
    >>
    >> skiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiski
    >>
    >> Gary

    > Electric motors only. Can't upset the local trout fishermen.

    DOH! grumble, grumble

    collar bone probably wouldn't like the V-8 yankin my lard ass up out of the
    water anyway.

    I can always dream

    Gary

  10. MattB

    MattB Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Road trip rule #1: Don't crash hard your first day.
    >
    > JD

    A few more:

    On a ride labeled as an "Epic" (or almost any unknown backcountry ride)
    bring:
    Extra water
    Extra food (maybe even some Raisinettes to share!)
    Extra tube(s) _and_ patch kit
    Map
    Flashlight - I like a little LED light that clips to my visor
    Space blanket
    First aid kit

    and...

    Try any new equipment (pump) _before_ the ride.

    Sounds like it was fun despite the adversity. That will make for better
    stories later as long as you survive. Thanks for the writeup!

    Matt

  11. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > JD wrote:
    >> Road trip rule #1: Don't crash hard your first day.
    >>
    >> JD
    >>

    > A few more:
    >
    > On a ride labeled as an "Epic" (or almost any unknown backcountry ride)
    > bring:
    > Extra water
    > Extra food (maybe even some Raisinettes to share!)
    > Extra tube(s) _and_ patch kit
    > Map
    > Flashlight - I like a little LED light that clips to my visor
    > Space blanket
    > First aid kit
    >
    > and...
    >
    > Try any new equipment (pump) _before_ the ride.
    >
    > Sounds like it was fun despite the adversity. That will make for better
    > stories later as long as you survive. Thanks for the writeup!
    >
    > Matt

    Yes. I knew all of that (I am a certified National Mountain Bike
    Patroller), but my stupidity and ignorance of carrying extra weight took
    over.

    I learned my lesson.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  12. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    >
    >> JD wrote:
    >>
    >>> Road trip rule #1: Don't crash hard your first day.
    >>>
    >>> JD
    >>>

    >> A few more:
    >>
    >> On a ride labeled as an "Epic" (or almost any unknown backcountry
    >> ride) bring:
    >> Extra water
    >> Extra food (maybe even some Raisinettes to share!)
    >> Extra tube(s) _and_ patch kit
    >> Map
    >> Flashlight - I like a little LED light that clips to my visor
    >> Space blanket
    >> First aid kit
    >>
    >> and...
    >>
    >> Try any new equipment (pump) _before_ the ride.
    >>
    >> Sounds like it was fun despite the adversity. That will make for
    >> better stories later as long as you survive. Thanks for the writeup!
    >>
    >> Matt

    > Yes. I knew all of that (I am a certified National Mountain Bike
    > Patroller), but my stupidity and ignorance of carrying extra weight took
    > over.
    >
    > I learned my lesson.

    I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!

    :)

  13. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >> MattB wrote:

    >>> A few more:
    >>>
    >>> On a ride labeled as an "Epic" (or almost any unknown backcountry
    >>> ride) bring:
    >>> Extra water
    >>> Extra food (maybe even some Raisinettes to share!)
    >>> Extra tube(s) _and_ patch kit
    >>> Map
    >>> Flashlight - I like a little LED light that clips to my visor
    >>> Space blanket
    >>> First aid kit
    >>>
    >>> and...
    >>>
    >>> Try any new equipment (pump) _before_ the ride.
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like it was fun despite the adversity. That will make for
    >>> better stories later as long as you survive. Thanks for the writeup!
    >>>
    >>> Matt

    >> Yes. I knew all of that (I am a certified National Mountain Bike
    >> Patroller), but my stupidity and ignorance of carrying extra weight
    >> took over.
    >>
    >> I learned my lesson.
    >>

    > I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!
    >
    > :)

    LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  14. SuperPoo

    SuperPoo Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > MattB wrote:
    >> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    >>> Yes. I knew all of that (I am a certified National Mountain Bike
    >>> Patroller), but my stupidity and ignorance of carrying extra weight took
    >>> over.
    >>>
    >>> I learned my lesson.
    >>>

    >> I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!
    >>
    >> :)

    > LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

    Did you get a jacket or just a pin?

    Steve

    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

  15. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    SuperPoo wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >> MattB wrote:

    >>> I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!
    >>>
    >>> :)

    >> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

    > Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
    >
    > Steve

    Please spare me. ;^/

    Mike

  16. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    SuperPoo wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >> MattB wrote:

    >>> I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!
    >>>
    >>> :)

    >> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

    > Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
    >
    > Steve

    LOL. All 10 of them.

    They offered the jacket but I thought it was geeky enough just being on
    the bowling team. I had a 211 average back then with a straight arm throw.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  17. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > SuperPoo wrote:
    >> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:p[email protected]

    >>> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

    >> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > LOL. All 10 of them.
    >
    > They offered the jacket but I thought it was geeky enough just being
    > on the bowling team. I had a 211 average back then with a straight
    > arm throw.

    211 /average/?!? Isn't that, like, PBA level? (Too bad Chris Schenkle just
    "rolled down the gutter", or I'd ask him.)

    Bill "Earl Anthony, Pete Weber...OK, I'm out" S.

    PS: 235 high game. Pretty sure *I* was high. (If it was in the '70s...
    LOL )

  18. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > SuperPoo wrote:
    >> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

    >> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Please spare me. ;^/

    Well THAT strike took balls. (Pardon the gutter-speak.)

    Time to roll; gotta...split.

    Bill "all thumbs (but with fingertip control) -- right in the pocket, of
    course" S.

    PS: "BROOKLYN!" (Only real bowlers will get that?)

  19. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >> SuperPoo wrote:
    >>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:p[email protected]

    >>> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> LOL. All 10 of them.
    >>
    >> They offered the jacket but I thought it was geeky enough just being
    >> on the bowling team. I had a 211 average back then with a straight
    >> arm throw.

    > 211 /average/?!? Isn't that, like, PBA level? (Too bad Chris Schenkle just
    > "rolled down the gutter", or I'd ask him.)
    >
    > Bill "Earl Anthony, Pete Weber...OK, I'm out" S.
    >
    > PS: 235 high game. Pretty sure *I* was high. (If it was in the '70s...
    > LOL )

    230+ average is pro circuit material. 211 for a high school varsity kid
    is expected. Team captain was at 225.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  20. gabrielle

    gabrielle Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:12:24 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    > The leaves are 6" deep in some spots
    > making it hard to tell where the rocks are or the edge of the trail for
    > that matter.

    Wow, yeah, like where's the trail, duuuude.

    Nice RR. Glad everything worked out. I myself have been lost in the
    wilds of Virginia, an experience i don't care to repeat.

    gabrielle