RR: Virgina Road Trip (Long)

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
[Inline version here: ]

Virgina Road Trip

What do you get when you mix a lot of drivable destination research,
four whacky mountain bikers, and a need for mountains? Virginia.

The original plan was to spend three nights in Douthat State Park and
ride two of those days. Douthat is a large state park connected to the
George Washington National Forest (the Shenandoah mountain range). With
over 40 miles of trails in the state park alone, and extra credit
branching out into the national forest, we knew it would be a great
trip. Add Mike Dart to the herd and it was a fantastic experience. He
graciously agreed to be our guide, listen to the antics of us maniacs,
and show us all how a damn good mountain biker rides.

As often happens with plans, they change. Rodger suggested that we
start driving on Wednesday night after work, go as far as we could, and
then crash in a cheap hotel. This would give us a chance to ride the
Southern Traverse (an IMBA epic) on Thursday. I agreed but the other
two couldn't make it and since we were in two cars, they could get to
the campground at their leisure.

Day 1 - The Epic To End All Epics

How bad could it be? Depending upon what you read, it's only 17 miles
of singletrack. Piece of cake! Plus there's a bail-out at 11 miles,
just in case.

We ease into Harrisonburg, VA and the bike shop "in charge" of the epic.
We had tried to arrange a shuttle since the trail is end-to-end and
probably would not want to endure the 10 mile "rolling hill" road ride
back to the car. Their idea of shuttle was to drive your car. Huh? No
thanks. So we stop and try to score a trail map. Shop closed until
11:00. On a weekday? No problem, we have the trusty GPS and I am sure
I loaded the correct maps. So another forty minutes down the road and
we reach the parking area. I abandoned the helmetcam for this ride.
Thirty seven miles with five pounds on my head is too much. I did bring
the handcam though and shot a little video (20 MB) which can be viewed
here: http://www.schnauzers.ws/va.wmv

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3554.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3555.jpg

The parking area is actually on private land with a public access road
running through. No one screamed at us and the directions said to park
there, so we did. Then begins the four mile 1300' fire road climb to
the trailhead at the Shenandoah Mountain Trail. Not the starting time
of 10:30 AM) We kept thinking why not drive up to the trailhead, and
then reality set in. We'd have to climb up to the car at the end of the
ride.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3556.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3557.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3558.jpg

I have to keep telling myself to conserve energy. At times I think I
was climbing to fast and not really taking into account how long and
hard this ride was going to be. I had one flat along the way in a slime
tube. That's not supposed to happen. Change it and continue on.

We reach the top of the fire road, but no the top of the climb.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3563.jpg

The trailhead and trail were well marked, signed, and blazed. I never
see that in the local trails I ride. The sign clearly shows the bail
out point of Jerkemtight Road. Nice name! As you'll read later on, it
should have been called Jerkemaround Road.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3564.jpg

The trail now climbs another 1000' feet up singletrack and some of it
quite technical and exposed. The leaves are 6" deep in some spots
making it hard to tell where the rocks are or the edge of the trail for
that matter. This is a long hard climb. It's a steeper grade than the
fire road and the angle of the trail cut is causing me to use a lot more
upper body to balance the right direction. It's fatiguing to say the least.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3565.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3566.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3567.jpg

Once at the top of the bump (3600') it becomes an 11 mile undulating
(read mostly climbing) ridge ride of no return. The first part of that
starts with a downhill and some ridge riding.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3568.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3569.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3571.jpg

Then some more uphill (a lot more) along the ridge.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3572.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3573.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3574.jpg

We reach the top of another summer and pause to take in the view.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3575.jpg

Then it's onto what looks like a long downhill with rocky goodness. I
head down a bit to take Roger's picture and the continue bombing.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3576.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3577.jpg

Lot's of fun but I know it's only temporary as we are only half way.
Then toward the end of the DH there are two log overs about 10 feet
apart. I am moving at a fairly good pace, my confidence level is high,
and I know I can bunny hop both in succession. I hop one, but the trail
is steep and I pick up more speed than anticipated in the landing. I go
to hop the second and it's too early. BAM! Front wheel into the log
and over I go. I land with my fist up under my right rib rack and into
my gut. I swear I saw every star in the universe and for the next ten
minutes I am trying to catch my breathe and deal with the pain at the
same time. Roger comes down the hill and sees me curled up in a ball
moaning.

I am hurting bad but nothing is broken, so I suck it up and head off
again. About half a mile more I realize the GPS is not attached to my
bike anymore. That's not a good thing since we don't have a map, I am
slowing down from the pain, and water is now being rationed. Roger heads
back up to the crash site to see if the GPS is there and I follow a few
minutes later. I thought we were all alone, but he's talking to a group
of riders from Montreal Canada and they found my GPS. They asked why
were chose this as our first ride of the region. Uh-oh. The they asked
if we had a map. Their reply was an astonished, "You don't have a
map?". I pointed to the GPS, but I don't think they understood. The
offered to lead us on, but at that point I knew I was not going to have
the energy to keep up with them after being hurt. We trailed them until
the took a rest and I told them to go on.

We assessed our situation. It was getting late and so we decided to
take the Jerkemtight bail-out. We continue riding the ridge up... up...
up... down... up... up... (you the picture). I am looking at the GPS
and I see Jerkemtight Road on the screen as well as the trail. At the
point where it looks like the connect, I stop and see nothing. Roger
says it must be a little further. We ride another two miles and
nothing. At this point I say we missed it but I am not going to try and
go back. It's very late and I have about two ounces of water left. I
can see farms to my right, but no trail down. I see nothing on the left
(where we want to go). The GPS is not helping much now as the road I
want to get to (629) looks like an eternity from here. The pain in my
gut starts eating at my mind and I begin to wonder about survival mode.
No matches, lighter, food, water, or flashlight and I'm stuck 3500'
above anything and in pain. I press on and suddenly the mountain stops
climbing. Could this be it? The five mile ear-to-ear grinning
downhill? I look at the GPS and there is 627 connecting to 629 at the
end of this DH. Hit it!

I try to go as fast as I can but I am so tired I can't even enjoy it. I
also have reality bite me on the ass that it's 10 miles back to the car
at the end. Then another whammy hits me as my rear starts sliding all
over the trail. Another flat!!! That's not good - no more tubes. I
figure I am about half way up still, so I just pump it up and continue
down snapping a photo (first one since the crash) before I take off.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3578.jpg

Finally we reach 627 and it's all downhill until 629. Still 10 miles to
go, flat tire, no phone service, and no water I have to make a judgment
call to get up the nerve in deliverance country and ask for water.
Another pump up of the tire and I spot an old man sitting on the porch
of one of the "nicer" looking homes. He waves, so I think he's friendly
and approach. I ask him for water and he asks if I am Johnny. OK, must
be a language barrier. I ask again if I could get some water. He tells
me he's blind. I am just about to give up, but I ask one more time
using words like sink, faucet, and hose along with water. He says sure
come in and get what you need telling me it's pure tested well water.
OK, I'll deal with the stomach problems later, I say to myself.

I fill up the 'bak all the way, thank him, and even give a god bless (I
figure that most of the people around these parts are religiously oriented).

I drink almost a quarter of it before hitting 629 and stopping to try
and patch the tube. I send Roger on with the keys and tell him I
continue on once the tire is fixed. After fumbling with the pump for 20
minutes (it's new and defaulted to Shraeder), I get the tube patched and
head off on a long road haul. About six miles in, Roger meets me with
the truck and we head off to the campground, dejected. Thirty seven
miles of riding took us 10 hours. My personal worst.

Would I do it again? Sure. But I'll know what to expect and prepare
for next time.

Here's some GPS info. It's a little off because of the crash and
getting the unit back. So there is a flat/straight point that is really
more down and up.

stel.jpg

sttop.jpg

stsat.jpg

Day 2

Douthat Intro

After arriving at camp at 10:30 PM, we quickly set up the tent,
introduce ourselves to Mike, talk around the fire a few minuted and then
head off to bed. Rain starts heading in as we settle down.

Dan and Jeff arrive around 7:30 AM and we setup as the rain stops. Our
tent city sprouts on one of the nicest campgrounds I have ever seen.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3579.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3580.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3581.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3582.jpg

Having an accomplished rider like Mike Dart lead us is a bit
intimidating, but he quickly adapts to our abilities and takes us on a
short primer of Douthat. Starting with a long haul climb to the top of
one of the ridges.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3584.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3585.jpg

I find myself hanging in the back as my adventure from yesterday has
taken a serious toll on my energy along with some breathing difficulties
from the pain. Still, I am determined and he leads us on to some
lookout spots along more rocky ridge riding.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3590.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3591.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3592.jpg

A little more climbing with well marked trails and then a three mile
stretch of smoking downhill back to camp. Mike kicks ass on the DH even
in wet rocky and rooty conditions. Short, but enough to kill me for the
day as I put on my tour operator hat and make lunch for the gang.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3594.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3596.jpg

After lunch Jeff, Dan, and Mike head out for another ride. I stay back
and nurse my wounds.

Day 3

The rain has been continuous all night long and no exception when we
wake up. We decide to give it until 11:00. The trails here are not
effected by water except for slippery conditions. You can't put ruts in
rock. Just as we are about to call it a wash (pun intended), the rain
stops. Procrastinated a bit, we finally suit up and head out and a
great 13 mile ride. I skip the camera fearing rain. Mike takes us up a
2000' climb to the highest peak in the park. The climb starts off very
technical but the slippery rocks are no match for the Kenda Stick-E's. I
am feeling better despite the sticking in my side from a bruised rib.
It's humid and I am dressed way too warm, but I complete the climb not
far from the front of the pack. Then it's some fun ridge riding to the
downhill. Five miles down to camp on a blasting singletrack with rocks,
berms, and a rutted washed out finish that does launch after launch. I
still haven't been able to uncurl my hands! The smiles on our faces at
the end covered in wet dirt says it all!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/dt/IMG_3597.jpg

I am going to have to return and hope the weather is nicer. It would
have been great to go a little faster on the DH, but the wet leaves and
rocks made it a little sketchy.

Mike was a great host/guide. Another great person I have found to ride
with all through the Internet.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:12:24 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [Inline version here: ]
>
> Virgina Road Trip

<snip>

> Mike was a great host/guide. Another great person I have found to ride
> with all through the Internet.

Nice report and good company. That Mike dude *almost* looks as old as JD
:p I say this humbly because I know either one would whoop my ass up &
down the hill.
_____
Slack

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> [Inline version here: ]
>
> Virgina Road Trip
>
> What do you get when you mix a lot of drivable destination research,
> four whacky mountain bikers, and a need for mountains? Virginia.
>
> The original plan was to spend three nights in Douthat State Park and
> ride two of those days. Douthat is a large state park connected to the
> George Washington National Forest (the Shenandoah mountain range).
> With over 40 miles of trails in the state park alone, and extra credit
> branching out into the national forest, we knew it would be a great
> trip. Add Mike Dart to the herd and it was a fantastic experience.
> He graciously agreed to be our guide, listen to the antics of us
> maniacs,
> and show us all how a damn good mountain biker rides.

<snip>

> Mike was a great host/guide. Another great person I have found to
> ride with all through the Internet.

Hehehe... thanks Mitch! Damn I hope I can live up you your build up. ;^)

I really enjoyed showing y'all my favorite spot to ride the the whole state.
Nothing warms a heart like turning around at the bottom of a downhill and
seeing a bunch of bug-in-teeth grins!

Good luck on your interview and hope we can ride again soon!

Mike - "Shut yer pie hole and ride!!!" (Ya had to be there)

Michael Dart wrote:

> Good luck on your interview and hope we can ride again soon!

We will.

> Mike - "Shut yer pie hole and ride!!!" (Ya had to be there)

LOL! We've almost fully converted Dan from a Georgia Hillbilly to a
full blown, foul mouthed Yank.

Honest, he used to be such a quiet and shy boy.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

GeeDubb wrote:

> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>> [Inline version here: http://tinyurl.com/jbek2]

>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws

> oooohhhhhhh my god, look at the freaking glass water on that lake
>
> can anybody here say....
>
> HIT IT!
>
> skiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiski
>
> Gary

Electric motors only. Can't upset the local trout fishermen.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> GeeDubb wrote:
>>
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws

>> oooohhhhhhh my god, look at the freaking glass water on that lake
>>
>> can anybody here say....
>>
>> HIT IT!
>>
>> skiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiskiski
>>
>> Gary

> Electric motors only. Can't upset the local trout fishermen.

DOH! grumble, grumble

collar bone probably wouldn't like the V-8 yankin my lard ass up out of the
water anyway.

I can always dream

Gary

JD wrote:
> Road trip rule #1: Don't crash hard your first day.
>
> JD

A few more:

On a ride labeled as an "Epic" (or almost any unknown backcountry ride)
bring:
Extra water
Extra food (maybe even some Raisinettes to share!)
Extra tube(s) _and_ patch kit
Map
Flashlight - I like a little LED light that clips to my visor
Space blanket
First aid kit

and...

Try any new equipment (pump) _before_ the ride.

Sounds like it was fun despite the adversity. That will make for better
stories later as long as you survive. Thanks for the writeup!

Matt

MattB wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Road trip rule #1: Don't crash hard your first day.
>>
>> JD
>>

> A few more:
>
> On a ride labeled as an "Epic" (or almost any unknown backcountry ride)
> bring:
> Extra water
> Extra food (maybe even some Raisinettes to share!)
> Extra tube(s) _and_ patch kit
> Map
> Flashlight - I like a little LED light that clips to my visor
> Space blanket
> First aid kit
>
> and...
>
> Try any new equipment (pump) _before_ the ride.
>
> Sounds like it was fun despite the adversity. That will make for better
> stories later as long as you survive. Thanks for the writeup!
>
> Matt

Yes. I knew all of that (I am a certified National Mountain Bike
Patroller), but my stupidity and ignorance of carrying extra weight took
over.

I learned my lesson.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:
>>
>>> Road trip rule #1: Don't crash hard your first day.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> A few more:
>>
>> On a ride labeled as an "Epic" (or almost any unknown backcountry
>> ride) bring:
>> Extra water
>> Extra food (maybe even some Raisinettes to share!)
>> Extra tube(s) _and_ patch kit
>> Map
>> Flashlight - I like a little LED light that clips to my visor
>> Space blanket
>> First aid kit
>>
>> and...
>>
>> Try any new equipment (pump) _before_ the ride.
>>
>> Sounds like it was fun despite the adversity. That will make for
>> better stories later as long as you survive. Thanks for the writeup!
>>
>> Matt

> Yes. I knew all of that (I am a certified National Mountain Bike
> Patroller), but my stupidity and ignorance of carrying extra weight took
> over.
>
> I learned my lesson.

I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!

:)

MattB wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> MattB wrote:

>>> A few more:
>>>
>>> On a ride labeled as an "Epic" (or almost any unknown backcountry
>>> ride) bring:
>>> Extra water
>>> Extra food (maybe even some Raisinettes to share!)
>>> Extra tube(s) _and_ patch kit
>>> Map
>>> Flashlight - I like a little LED light that clips to my visor
>>> Space blanket
>>> First aid kit
>>>
>>> and...
>>>
>>> Try any new equipment (pump) _before_ the ride.
>>>
>>> Sounds like it was fun despite the adversity. That will make for
>>> better stories later as long as you survive. Thanks for the writeup!
>>>
>>> Matt

>> Yes. I knew all of that (I am a certified National Mountain Bike
>> Patroller), but my stupidity and ignorance of carrying extra weight
>> took over.
>>
>> I learned my lesson.
>>

> I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!
>
> :)

LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> MattB wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> Yes. I knew all of that (I am a certified National Mountain Bike
>>> Patroller), but my stupidity and ignorance of carrying extra weight took
>>> over.
>>>
>>> I learned my lesson.
>>>

>> I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!
>>
>> :)

> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

Did you get a jacket or just a pin?

Steve

SuperPoo wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> MattB wrote:

>>> I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!
>>>
>>> :)

>> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
>
> Steve

Please spare me. ;^/

Mike

SuperPoo wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> MattB wrote:

>>> I would have expected more from a Varsity Letterman!
>>>
>>> :)

>> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
>
> Steve

LOL. All 10 of them.

They offered the jacket but I thought it was geeky enough just being on
the bowling team. I had a 211 average back then with a straight arm throw.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> SuperPoo wrote:
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:p[email protected]...

>>> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

>> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
>>
>> Steve

> LOL. All 10 of them.
>
> They offered the jacket but I thought it was geeky enough just being
> on the bowling team. I had a 211 average back then with a straight
> arm throw.

211 /average/?!? Isn't that, like, PBA level? (Too bad Chris Schenkle just
"rolled down the gutter", or I'd ask him.)

Bill "Earl Anthony, Pete Weber...OK, I'm out" S.

PS: 235 high game. Pretty sure *I* was high. (If it was in the '70s...
LOL )

Michael Dart wrote:
> SuperPoo wrote:
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> LOL! I lettered in Bowling.

>> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
>>
>> Steve

> Please spare me. ;^/

Well THAT strike took balls. (Pardon the gutter-speak.)

Time to roll; gotta...split.

Bill "all thumbs (but with fingertip control) -- right in the pocket, of
course" S.

PS: "BROOKLYN!" (Only real bowlers will get that?)

Sorni wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> SuperPoo wrote:
>>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:p[email protected]...

>>> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
>>>
>>> Steve

>> LOL. All 10 of them.
>>
>> They offered the jacket but I thought it was geeky enough just being
>> on the bowling team. I had a 211 average back then with a straight
>> arm throw.

> 211 /average/?!? Isn't that, like, PBA level? (Too bad Chris Schenkle just
> "rolled down the gutter", or I'd ask him.)
>
> Bill "Earl Anthony, Pete Weber...OK, I'm out" S.
>
> PS: 235 high game. Pretty sure *I* was high. (If it was in the '70s...
> LOL )

230+ average is pro circuit material. 211 for a high school varsity kid
is expected. Team captain was at 225.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:12:24 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> The leaves are 6" deep in some spots
> making it hard to tell where the rocks are or the edge of the trail for
> that matter.

Wow, yeah, like where's the trail, duuuude.

Nice RR. Glad everything worked out. I myself have been lost in the
wilds of Virginia, an experience i don't care to repeat.

gabrielle