RR: Virgina Road Trip (Long)

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> LOL. All 10 of them.
>>>
>>> They offered the jacket but I thought it was geeky enough just being
>>> on the bowling team. I had a 211 average back then with a straight
>>> arm throw.

>> 211 /average/?!? Isn't that, like, PBA level? (Too bad Chris
>> Schenkle just "rolled down the gutter", or I'd ask him.)
>>
>> Bill "Earl Anthony, Pete Weber...OK, I'm out" S.
>>
>> PS: 235 high game. Pretty sure *I* was high. (If it was in the
>> '70s... LOL )
>>

> 230+ average is pro circuit material. 211 for a high school varsity
> kid is expected. Team captain was at 225.

AVERAGE?!? I /really/ find that hard to believe.

I used to watch that bowling show on ABC Saturday afternoons, and most
matches (it seemed to me) were something like 221-218. Pretty rare for 250+
I thought.

Maybe I'm way off. I'll try to Google something or other later...

BS (lefty, fingetip, big hook)

Sorni wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> Sorni wrote:

>>> 211 /average/?!? Isn't that, like, PBA level? (Too bad Chris
>>> Schenkle just "rolled down the gutter", or I'd ask him.)
>>>
>>> Bill "Earl Anthony, Pete Weber...OK, I'm out" S.
>>>
>>> PS: 235 high game. Pretty sure *I* was high. (If it was in the
>>> '70s... LOL )
>>>

>> 230+ average is pro circuit material. 211 for a high school varsity
>> kid is expected. Team captain was at 225.

> AVERAGE?!? I /really/ find that hard to believe.
>
> I used to watch that bowling show on ABC Saturday afternoons, and most
> matches (it seemed to me) were something like 221-218. Pretty rare for 250+
> I thought.
>
> Maybe I'm way off. I'll try to Google something or other later...
>
> BS (lefty, fingetip, big hook)

PBA membership requires an average of 190 or 200 depending upon the
league type. Champions are bowling 230 - 240 per game. The big
difference between my potential and them is that I never could learn how
to throw a hook. I was a straight arm bowler and there are very few of
those. Without the hook and spin, you are at the mercy of variabilities
in the lane wood. No way to compensate.

https://www.pba.com/members/requirements.asp

Funny thing about all this is that my son's b-day party this weekend is
bowling. Time to polish up the ball.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

gabrielle wrote:
> I myself have been lost in the
> wilds of Virginia, an experience i don't care to repeat.

It's only really dangerous if you're Ned Beatty. ;^)

Sorni wrote:
> Michael Dart wrote:
>> SuperPoo wrote:

>>> Did you get a jacket or just a pin?
>>>
>>> Steve

>> Please spare me. ;^/

> Well THAT strike took balls. (Pardon the gutter-speak.)
>
> Time to roll; gotta...split.
>
> Bill "all thumbs (but with fingertip control) -- right in the pocket,
> of course" S.
>
> PS: "BROOKLYN!" (Only real bowlers will get that?)

Oh man! I think I have to go turn my shoes in.

Mike