RSX shifters

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chilly, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Chilly

    Chilly Guest

    The last bike I had had a five speed block and friction shift levers on the downtube. They worked
    for years without trouble and adjusting was a breeze.

    Now I have a 2000 model Dawes Giro 300 with RSX gears and shifters combined with the brake levers. I
    bought the bike new last year but have only just started to use it. They look awful complicated,
    (the gears that is!) but I think they are in need of some adjusting. When I go up a gear (to a
    smaller sprocket) by moving the lever inside the brake lever, the chain jumps two or three
    sprockets, and going to a lower gear using the brake lever itself the chain likewise jumps more than
    one gear. It is also a little reluctant to drop onto the smallest cog. Before checking chain tension
    and limit stops I thought I would seek any tips/advice. Once in gear the gearchain runs smoothly and
    quietly with no problems. Is this likely to be an adjustment problem or a shifting tecnique problem.
    I had a look on Sheldon Browns site, but found the advice a little too general.

    I posted last week under "Back cycling". I have been out several times and really enjoying myself.
    Though I'm not getting any faster, which is not my objective, I am finding my recovery times after
    climbing hills is improving, and my quads are not hurting so much.

    Bill

    Tags:

  2. Chilly

    Chilly Guest

    Chilly <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Before
    checking chain tension and limit stops I
    > thought I would seek any tips/advice.

    I think cable tension might be a better idea!

    Bill