RSX shifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chilly

The last bike I had had a five speed block and friction shift levers on the downtube. They worked
for years without trouble and adjusting was a breeze.

Now I have a 2000 model Dawes Giro 300 with RSX gears and shifters combined with the brake levers. I
bought the bike new last year but have only just started to use it. They look awful complicated,
(the gears that is!) but I think they are in need of some adjusting. When I go up a gear (to a
smaller sprocket) by moving the lever inside the brake lever, the chain jumps two or three
sprockets, and going to a lower gear using the brake lever itself the chain likewise jumps more than
one gear. It is also a little reluctant to drop onto the smallest cog. Before checking chain tension
and limit stops I thought I would seek any tips/advice. Once in gear the gearchain runs smoothly and
quietly with no problems. Is this likely to be an adjustment problem or a shifting tecnique problem.
I had a look on Sheldon Browns site, but found the advice a little too general.

I posted last week under "Back cycling". I have been out several times and really enjoying myself.
Though I'm not getting any faster, which is not my objective, I am finding my recovery times after
climbing hills is improving, and my quads are not hurting so much.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.