Rucksacks that can go on the bike too

Mark Thompson

Guest
Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier too. It would need to be at
least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and easily. Oh, and be cheap :)
I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they don't sell it any more.
Anyone seen one?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for
hot)> wrote:

> Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier too. It would need to be
> at least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and easily. Oh, and be cheap
> :) I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they don't sell it any more.
> Anyone seen one?

Karrimor do a Rackpack, 20 litres, rucksack straps hide away to form not a pannier but a pack that
will sit on top of a pannier rack. Had one a while ago, sold it with a bike but ISTR the fixing was
a bit of a pain but they have restyled it since then so it may have improved.

--
Swop the ok-coral for yahoo to reply

You might take a look at the Arkel Overdesign Panniers from Canada.
Definitely not cheap, but quality is always worth the pain of purchase.
They make beautiful products.
"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
> Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier
too.
> It would need to be at least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and
> easily. Oh, and be cheap :) I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they
> don't sell it any more. Anyone seen one?

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of Twangin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> Karrimor do a Rackpack, 20 litres, rucksack straps hide away to form not a pannier but a pack that
> will sit on top of a pannier rack.

They do one that converts between a small rucksack and a small pannier. I had such a thing once, but
converting the wretched thing was more trouble than cycling with it on my back, or walking carrying
a conventional pannier. Big waste of money.

--
Finally, someone takes a stand against Humbug. Three cheers for Austrian shop workers!

Mark Thompson wrote:
> Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier too. It would need to be
> at least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and easily. Oh, and be cheap
> :) I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they don't sell it any more.
> Anyone seen one?

You might want to have a look at Ortlieb. They sell a carrying-system that fits to most of their
panniers: http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=carry-bp

The only disadvantage - Ortlieb is quite expensive :-/ But it is worth the money and completely
waterproof.

Andreas

"Andreas Schulze-Bäing" wrote ...
> Mark Thompson wrote:
> > Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier too. It would need to be
> > at least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and easily. Oh, and be
> > cheap :) I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they don't sell it
> > any more. Anyone seen one?
>
> You might want to have a look at Ortlieb. They sell a carrying-system that fits to most of their
> panniers:

> The only disadvantage - Ortlieb is quite expensive :-/ But it is worth the money and completely
> waterproof.
>
> Andreas

I've got the Ortlieb carrying system, and I agree that Ortlieb products are well worth the cost. But
the Ortlieb carrying system is time consuming enough to use that I don't use it very often. I find
it good for a multi-day tour where I might want to go for a day hike part way through the tour. If I
want to carry stuff on and off the bike on a daily basis (mixed mode commute, for example) I find
myself more inclined to use a messenger bag. YMMV, of course.
--
mark