running with a water bottle

David wrote:

> Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I tried one once and found it annoying but that is me. Just a heads up, if you plan to use the
> > FB in a race be prepared to spend a pile of time refilling those little baby bottles.
>
> That depends on the distance. I'm running a half-marathon in a couple of weeks and 4 fuel belt
> bottles is enough for that distance for me... no refilling required. If you're going to use a
> water bottle, in my experience, there's really no option other than the Fuel Belt. Everything else
> I tried bounced and drove me crazy.
> --
> David Nova Scotia, Canada.

For curiosity, do you run distances in winter with it? I'd wonder about them freezing if out for say
1.5 hrs at -20C (-5F). My windshell isn't enough protection to keep a 20oz water bottle from
freezing and one of the reasons I switched to camelbak for longer runs. (I didn't have the insulated
2-bottle holder at the time) I'm not sure I've even seen fuel belts in stores here in Alaska.

Dot

David wrote:
> Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I tried one once and found it annoying but that is me. Just a heads up, if you plan to use the FB
>>in a race be prepared to spend a pile of time refilling those little baby bottles.
>

> That depends on the distance. I'm running a half-marathon in a couple of weeks and 4 fuel belt
> bottles is enough for that distance for me... no refilling required.

Sounds fine.

> If you're going to use a water bottle, in my experience, there's really no option other than the
> Fuel Belt. Everything else I tried bounced and drove me crazy.

Now we are down to opinion which is fine but my belt does not bounce. Maybe we are down to running
style with one of us landing softer. Since mine does not bounce so I can buy one and use it for a 5k
through 100 miles.

--
Caveat Lector "the further you go outside, the further you go inside" - B. McKibben Doug Freese
[email protected]

I ran with the fuel belt all winter and only had it freeze up once. But I only do one long run a
week and as I recall we were luck enough to have about -10 or so on average. The day it froze we
were running in -22 with a -35 Wind Chill!!! I was wearing the belt on the outside of my shell...
but that day was so cold I don't know if having it inside my shell would have made a difference. My
running partner had a regular bottle and his was frozen solid as well. But the smaller bottles would
probably freeze faster.

--
David Nova Scotia, Canada.

I got one of those "slanted" ones. It fits very comfortably in the small of your back and feels much
snugger than the regular kind. Doesn't seem to slosh as much either.

In article <[email protected]>, "JAC" <[email protected]> wrote:
>I've seen a lot of different types and designs. Some are straight up, some slanted, some weird
>shaped bottles. I am interested in what you might suggest, and where to get it. Also, was it
>difficult to adapt to running with it. Does it slosh around. etc.
>
>Thanks in advance John Clarke

Sorta depends on what you want it for...racing Ultras or training... For training runs of 2 hours or
less, my 4 bottle fuel belt is great. I sure as heck would not use it in a well supported half or
full marathon...to big a pain in the @ss to refill. I just drink what they have to offer.

I just bought a camel back for long summer runs in areas where there are no fountains or 7-11's.

JAC wrote:
> I've seen a lot of different types and designs. Some are straight up, some slanted, some weird
> shaped bottles. I am interested in what you might suggest, and where to get it. Also, was it
> difficult to adapt to running with it. Does it slosh around. etc.
>
> Thanks in advance John Clarke

Those slanted ones do seem like a much better design than the straight up and down ones. I never did
try one... no one in my area sold them when I was looking for a water belt about a year and a half
ago (which I started running).