s/a fm left hand ball cup removal

Leigh

Guest
Has anybody any ideas how to remove the left hand ball cup from a s/a
fm 4 speed rear hub according to my master catalogue a special
tool(DD11182) is inserted from the right hand side which engages the
splines inside the cup to remove it from the shell
Is there any other way of removing the ball cup other than this? there
are no flats on the outside of the cup to grip in a vice and i feel
the chances of finding a 50 year old tool remote
Any help would be gratefully receIved
Thanks

Leigh

On 28 Aug 2004 03:27:30 -0700 [email protected] (Leigh) wrote:

>Has anybody any ideas how to remove the left hand ball cup from a s/a
>fm 4 speed rear hub according to my master catalogue a special
>tool(DD11182) is inserted from the right hand side which engages the
>splines inside the cup to remove it from the shell
>Is there any other way of removing the ball cup other than this? there
>are no flats on the outside of the cup to grip in a vice and i feel
>the chances of finding a 50 year old tool remote
>Any help would be gratefully receIved

It's not a spline there, but rather an internal ring gear. I made a
tool to fit this many years ago, from a purchased spur gear welded to
a shaft. It took me a long time to get the right spur gear and get the
shaft made and everything to fit, but once together it worked like a
charm. OTOH, I haven't used it since.

Is there some reason that you really want to remove the ball cup?

-
Jim Adney [email protected]
Madison, WI 53711 USA