Saddle Angle?

cbjesseeNH

Jun 10, 2005
How does one measure a saddle's angle? Is it sufficient to put flat plate on the saddle and then put a level on top of the plate?

It seemed my saddle was tipped up just a bit, based on some discomfort and this measure showed a slight upward angle.

BRET

I use a long wooden ruler which makes it easy to see the angle

my saddles are a little old, so they sag a bit in the middle, which allows the ruler to easily balance on the tip and the rear

cbjesseeNH said:
How does one measure a saddle's angle? Is it sufficient to put flat plate on the saddle and then put a level on top of the plate?

It seemed my saddle was tipped up just a bit, based on some discomfort and this measure showed a slight upward angle.

BRET
From what I understand, whether or not it is at an angle is not so much of an issue as whether or not it is comfortable. Sounds to me like there is some discomfort, so you're going to want to adjust something. If i remember correctly, tilting forward a bit will take pressure off the ass and put more in the frontal region, whereas if you tilt back slightly, you'll switch that.

I could be wrong, please correct me if so.

There's not much science to setting saddle angle. Just go with what's comfortable, keeping in mind the distances you plan to ride. It's tempting to go "nose-down", but the caveat is that you're more likely to slide forward then, and become uncomfortable. The only reason I can think of to actually measure the angle of your saddle is to record your setup, or to approximate the setup from one bike on another bike. To measure my saddle angle (for record, in case I need to make changes), I use an Ace Angle Finder, available for cheap at just about any Ace Hardware store. I make note of a reference point on the saddle (like the "A" on the "Aliante") to line up the edge of the angle finder.

You should be able to do it by eye. Remember also, that you want the part where you sit to be basically level, don't worry about the tip. Once you get it level, you should be able to ride and not feel your weight shifting around on the saddle, it should stay put. Nose down, and you'll feel your weight wanting to slide forward onto your perineal region(this is bad). Nose up, and you'll feel everything want to slide back. Not neccessarily sliding on the saddle, but you'll feel the skin stretching either forward or back if the saddle isn't level.

Just put a board on top and use a level to get the board dead level. For sure you will be happiest that way -- you'll find that this is precisely how most pro racers keep the saddle, so they can easily move around on it etc.

cbjesseeNH said:

BRET

davidd86 said:
Just put a board on top and use a level to get the board dead level. For sure you will be happiest that way -- you'll find that this is precisely how most pro racers keep the saddle, so they can easily move around on it etc.

spirit leval : if you can´t get it perfect then nose down rather than nose up