saddle sore

dingo10

Aug 5, 2003
riding more than four hours becomes a sore problem .new to riding long distance any suggestion welcomed.:eek: :eek:

An annoying problem indeed! Various things are suggested:
Clean cycling nicks, and consider using chamois cream.
Clean you bum and your undercarriage (perineum) before rides.
Better quality nicks and saddle.

For established sores, they either need a rest period, squeezing the pus out of them or else dry them out with methylated spirits.

Originally posted by dingo10
riding more than four hours becomes a sore problem .new to riding long distance any suggestion welcomed.:eek: :eek:

If you do not mind having a larger looking saddle. Could always use saddle covers that gets filled with air. Or spend more $$ and get carbon seatpost.....

Memph

Find a saddle that fits your bum better, or tilt your current saddle if a replacement is not an option/
I've never found Chamios Cream, but use an anticeptic cream before I go on long rides. the problem is the build up of bacteria infecting the sores. Be sure to get changed as soon as you finish the ride. Sitting in a Cafe for an hour directly after the ride could be exasperating the problem.

i found that seat tilt took care of recurring sores for me, then
after 2 hours on the bike ouch what pressure that seat a selle
slr trans am, i bought a FIZIK what relief much better i forget
im on the saddle even after 3 hours of riding.

I've been there too!

Because not all butts are created equal you'll need to find a saddle that suits your physiology. Like Zaskar, I now use a Fizik, but I tried several saddles before I found one that really feels comfortable. I would say that a lot of my friends are now using Fizik saddles.

Then you need to get the saddle position (height, fore/aft position and tilt) set up correctly for you. A licensed cycling coach or highly experienced fitter would be the best option here, although you can do it for yourself.

Good shorts are critical and a good chamois cream - Assos Chamois Cream or Chamois Butter- make a real difference. Finally, for chafing and sore spots Bag Balm really helps the healing process.

Hope this helps!

A question from a newbie (but not young) rider:
I used to have sores which were quite annoying and fairly painfull which went away with a saddle change accompanied by upgraded personal butt-care procedures.
Nevertheless I'm still left with calluses of sorts,they're more like different shaded skin than real calluses, functionally they're quite neutral now but they make me curious if this is inevitable for a serious rider or if should be looking for a different saddle again.

Enjoy
Pavel