San Francisco Ride/Bike Rental

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Joel Roth, May 22, 2003.

  1. Joel Roth

    Joel Roth Guest

    I will be in San Francisco at the end of June.
    1. Where can I rent a reasonable bicycle in the city? I'll be staying at the Renassaince Parc 55
    Hotel, which is near Market St. and 5th St.
    2. Any suggestions for a 4-5 hour loop ride beginning in the city, near my hotel?

    Thanks.

    Joel

    Tags:

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, joel roth
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I will be in San Francisco at the end of June.
    >1. Where can I rent a reasonable bicycle in the city? I'll be staying at the Renassaince Parc 55
    > Hotel, which is near Market St. and 5th St.
    >2. Any suggestions for a 4-5 hour loop ride beginning in the city, near my hotel?

    There are a bunch of bike shops in the Fisherman's Wharf area that rent bikes to tourists. They
    provide free maps for some of the more popular routes, especially heading out of the Golden Gate
    Bridge, along the bay shore, and around the Marin Headlands and/or the Tiburon peninsula. You can
    ride back across the bridge or take a ferry from various points in the north bay area.

    If you want to stay in the city, the best biking is around the ocean and bay shore. The central
    part of the city has lots of traffic during the day. Most of the major tourist areas are along the
    coasts anyway.

  3. Mary

    Mary Guest

    If I had limited time in the city, I would walk rather than bike. Walk from downtown SF across the
    Golden Gate bridge and take the ferry back. A lot less trouble than riding a bike for a few hours,
    and you get to see a lot more without worrying about traffic.

    Tom

  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in news:3ed27c75$0$78567$4d5ecec7 @reader.city-net.com:
    > If I had limited time in the city, I would walk rather than bike. Walk from downtown SF across the
    > Golden Gate bridge and take the ferry back. A lot less trouble than riding a bike for a few hours,
    > and you get to see a lot more without worrying about traffic.

    There are bike paths for almost the entire route from Fisherman's Wharf, across the bridge, to
    Tiburon. And that would be a pretty long walk.

  5. joel roth wrote:
    > I will be in San Francisco at the end of June.
    > 1. Where can I rent a reasonable bicycle in the city? I'll be staying at the Renassaince Parc 55
    > Hotel, which is near Market St. and 5th St.
    > 2. Any suggestions for a 4-5 hour loop ride beginning in the city, near my hotel?

    Renting in Fishermen's wharf could be a little more expensive, as it is a tourist trap.

    I'd suggest you try to rent from other bike stores if you can. How ever I don't live in SF, so I
    can't give you any specifics about bike shops. Ask your hotel concierge(sp?)

    One day rental would run you around $20-30. It is cheaper to rent by week, if you are staying
    that long.

    ./Sujee
    --
    www.sujee.net email : [email protected]