Sandwiches While Riding?

Powerful Pete said:
Unless I am out for long rides in the summer I have never felt the need for funny water (gatorade or any of that kind of stuff). Lots of water does me just fine!

It's summer time all the time here, which means losing more salts, so energy drinks become pretty important, especially on extended rides.

Virenque said:
IMO sandwiches are a must for rides longer than 3 hours. Powerbars are not enough, you need natural food as well. I recommend you whole-wheat bread with low-fat chicken salami. Eat one sandwich per two hours or something. Don´t worry...it wouldn´t get bad in a few hours time, even in the middle of summer...
smile.gif

Actually for longer rides, or any extended exercise, fats are a plus, in that they provide long term energy production. Proteins also do this. Both of them slow the metabolization of sugars so that you are less likely to have a spike in blood sugar....and that's a good thing.

Powerbars aren't sufficient solely because they're about as palatable as baby turds. I have, however, gotten by for 2+ days just on Cliff bars. While maybe not the most tasty diet, if you read the label, they do provide what you're body will need.

I first tried figs after I got bold and bought some at the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia (one of my FAVORITE spots in Philly). I cannot stop going there to get some whenever I am in Philly now. I just love them. Fig Newtons are great for packing on a ride.

Cheers,

Brian

Powerful Pete said:
Never seen them, but that does not mean much, as I am not in the market for 'em.

I prefer fresh figs in the summer (not riding, they are too delicate for that)... :D

I don't suppose you could send a crate of fresh black olives to my house, could you?

alienator said:
I don't suppose you could send a crate of fresh black olives to my house, could you?
Oh yeah! I got it from my aunt from Greece every year...just perfect!:eek:

alienator said:
LOL, black olives... you will have to be a bit more specific. The supermarket down the road has about 12 different types sitting there... so you have to narrow it down...

Powerful Pete said:
LOL, black olives... you will have to be a bit more specific. The supermarket down the road has about 12 different types sitting there... so you have to narrow it down...

Ok, I'll have a 5 lb sampler of each, thank you. :D

kspangler said:
That's a shame; do you want some?
Thanks, but there are plenty of other things I would like from the US before Fig Netwons. If you can figure out a way to DHL me a six pack of everything bagels and a wee bit of scallion cream cheese (only from New York City), then I would become a very happy Italian.

That and maybe a New York Reuben sandwich. Not riding food, but with one of those babies I would have the calories for a 250 km ride... :D

Powerful Pete said:
OT: So are you coming over the pond to the Old World this summer for riding... ehm work?

Well, some plans changed a bit. The current research isn't something we'll be allowed to present. More importantly, though, a cycling buddy in Auckland said to come on down, so the family and I are going to spend two weeks in New Zealand, with the bike, of course.

alienator said:
Well, some plans changed a bit. The current research isn't something we'll be allowed to present. More importantly, though, a cycling buddy in Auckland said to come on down, so the family and I are going to spend two weeks in New Zealand, with the bike, of course.
Oh well, too bad you are not coming over to this side of the pond. Enjoy yourself over there...

Yojimbo_ said:
I make sure to eat a good breakfast. I usually have a couple of bagels and some cereal with milk. Maybe a banana as well as I leave the house.

Really ? I never eat breakfast and just fuel on the bike. All the advice I've had is that unless you can eat three hours before getting on the bike you'll be better off not eating before hand - possibly a bar a few minutes before. I have to say when I started not having breakfast ( which intially does feel like a leap of faith) I felt much better on rides of any length.
I just use carb gels and some anti-oxidant gels when doing anything over 2 hours - but this has to be a matter of taste (some on them aren't that palatable) . I like them more than the idea of some sandwiches stuffed in the back of my cycling shirt and actually eating (chewing something) is probably going to mean getting off the bike.

One of the most important parts of your nutirition is your recovery meal. You want to eat carbs and some protein within half an hour of finishing any ride over two hours to help replace your muscle glycogen. I know the sports science jury is still out ( or arguing) about some of this but it seems to work for me.

Well - my two cents.

Monroe, how long are the rides you go on without any breakfast, just out of curiosity.

I would never go riding without eating something beforehand... but of course YMMV...

Powerful Pete said:
Thanks, but there are plenty of other things I would like from the US before Fig Netwons. If you can figure out a way to DHL me a six pack of everything bagels and a wee bit of scallion cream cheese (only from New York City), then I would become a very happy Italian.

That and maybe a New York Reuben sandwich. Not riding food, but with one of those babies I would have the calories for a 250 km ride... :D
If I could ship you one of either of these, I would Pete. There are very few things on Earth more delightful to eat than a Reuben Sandwich from either Katz's or Stage Deli in NYC. I am a diabetic and can't eat these things anymore, but there are times when I just can't walk past either of these delis and not get a Reuben. Of course I have it for lunch for about 3 days.

Cheers,

Brian

baj32161 said:
If I could ship you one of either of these, I would Pete. There are very few things on Earth more delightful to eat than a Reuben Sandwich from either Katz's or Stage Deli in NYC. I am a diabetic and can't eat these things anymore, but there are times when I just can't walk past either of these delis and not get a Reuben. Of course I have it for lunch for about 3 days.

Cheers,

Brian
Brian, thanks. I mean it. A Reuben from Katz's is well worth the extra 5 kg that it entails... some time in the not too distant future I will be back in the Big Apple, will let you know, and we will go there for a Reuben together.

And the next day for Pastrami... :D:D:D

monroe said:
Really ? I never eat breakfast and just fuel on the bike. All the advice I've had is that unless you can eat three hours before getting on the bike you'll be better off not eating before hand - possibly a bar a few minutes before. I have to say when I started not having breakfast ( which intially does feel like a leap of faith) I felt much better on rides of any length.
I just use carb gels and some anti-oxidant gels when doing anything over 2 hours - but this has to be a matter of taste (some on them aren't that palatable) . I like them more than the idea of some sandwiches stuffed in the back of my cycling shirt and actually eating (chewing something) is probably going to mean getting off the bike.

One of the most important parts of your nutirition is your recovery meal. You want to eat carbs and some protein within half an hour of finishing any ride over two hours to help replace your muscle glycogen. I know the sports science jury is still out ( or arguing) about some of this but it seems to work for me.

Well - my two cents.
Good breakfast is a must. Consider as said before, cereals with milk or yoghurt, before longer rides you can eat plain (bianco in italian) pasta as well. But be aware that you might be very "opened" after cereals, so go to the toillet if you can...:D:)

monroe said:
True for a heavy meal such as lunch/dinner; don't see why that should be the case for breakfast unless you are stuffing yourself. At least to me, breakfast is a light meal. Unlike an afternoon or evening ride, when the body has some fuel from a previous meal, a morning ride without breakfast is like running a vehicle with an empty fuel tank. Just my 2 cents to your 2 cents...

True...it has to be a light one. Than eat on a bike as well if ride is longer than 2-3 hours...

baj32161 said:

Cheers,

Brian
Ask your MD if you could possibly eat one while riding, so as to burn the glucose as it hits your blood!;)