General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Saturday's meal(s)

Started by Dee.Dee · · Last activity · 27 posts · 2,311 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 December 2007
Last activity
9 December 2007
Original author
Dee.Dee
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,311
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m. before
    noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks like.

    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for authentic
    SOS, I guess.

    Here is the brand I've always bought:
    http://i1.tinypic.com/7w7bi2p.jpg

    phew! nitrates - ugh! but only have it once in a while -- it still counts,
    though.

    Here's what it looks like all rolled up inside the jar. Take it out, cut
    into whatever sized pieces you like. I put it in water to soak, but never
    rinse it. Just dip it out of the water into the skillet. It is not salty
    at all that way.

    http://i2.tinypic.com/6z54evo.jpg

    Home-made bread toasted (not quite the white bread that one usually
    associates with SOS.)
    I like toasted better than mushy untoasted white.
    http://i5.tinypic.com/6suo2fo.jpg

    The final proof is in the eating. It was good.

    http://i9.tinypic.com/8fyreqa.jpg

    Dee Dee

  2. Dee.Dee said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m. before
    noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks like.

    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for authentic
    SOS, I guess.

    Here is the brand I've always bought:
    http://i1.tinypic.com/7w7bi2p.jpg

    phew! nitrates - ugh! but only have it once in a while -- it still counts,
    though.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's what it looks like all rolled up inside the jar. Take it out, cut
    into whatever sized pieces you like. I put it in water to soak, but never
    rinse it. Just dip it out of the water into the skillet. It is not salty
    at all that way.

    http://i2.tinypic.com/6z54evo.jpg

    Home-made bread toasted (not quite the white bread that one usually
    associates with SOS.)
    I like toasted better than mushy untoasted white.
    http://i5.tinypic.com/6suo2fo.jpg

    The final proof is in the eating. It was good.

    http://i9.tinypic.com/8fyreqa.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Dee

    This is my mom's version of SOS. It is quite good. I generally use fresh
    mushrooms sautéed in a bit of butter. For the beef I use the thin-sliced
    lunch meat that comes in 4 ounce pkgs.

    Curried Chipped Beef and Mushrooms

    3/4 pound chipped beef
    1 4 oz can sliced mushrooms
    1/4 teaspoon curry powder
    2 cups cold milk
    2 tablespoons cornstarch

    Combine milk and cornstarch. Bring to boil in a saucepan, stirring.
    Slice chipped beef into small pieces. Add to sauce with other
    ingredients.

    Serve over toasted English muffins.

    Don

  3. "Dee.Dee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    Got a deal (not really) on 3 pounds of fresh shrimp on Thurs, so had do
    SOMETHING with them today (Did Shrimp Scampi Thurs nite).

    Soo.. . . .making a batch of Shrimp Bisque to freeze, as well as some Gumbo
    (adding sausage, chicken) to freeze as well.

    Also made a batch of Beef Bourginonne for Sunday dinner - gonna sauté the
    mushrooms & braise the pearl onions tomorrow & add then.

    Nothing really exciting - - - but ya asked!!

    Van

  4. Dee.Dee said...

    Quoted message said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    What do you have for breakfast when there's no power, you have cheerios and
    milk and banana.

    For lunch I grilled a pack of chicken tenders only with paprika, then
    weighed out four ounces and put that on two slices of toast with Benecol
    (fake butter). Testing BG before (100 mg/dl) and after lunch 1 hour (123
    mg/dl) and 2 hours after.

    Dinner will be the same as lunch minus 1/2 piece of toast. It's a diabetes
    blood glucose good vs bad guy test of foods.

    SOS sure sounds better only your version isn't heart or diabetes friendly.
    Enjoy, ya lucky BUM!!!

    Andy

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dee.Dee said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    I just finished the last of a batch of cheese scones I made yesterday,
    for breakfast today. It's taken Agent Weasel till the age of nine to
    realise that scones are good, and DH doesn't eat them. I'm used to
    having scones to myself, now I have to share them. Oy, my life. Double
    batches from now on.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases

  6. On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:12:14 -0500, "Dee.Dee" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m. before
    noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks like.

    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for authentic
    SOS, I guess.

    Here is the brand I've always bought:
    http://i1.tinypic.com/7w7bi2p.jpg

    phew! nitrates - ugh! but only have it once in a while -- it still counts,
    though.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's what it looks like all rolled up inside the jar. Take it out, cut
    into whatever sized pieces you like. I put it in water to soak, but never
    rinse it. Just dip it out of the water into the skillet. It is not salty
    at all that way.

    http://i2.tinypic.com/6z54evo.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    Home-made bread toasted (not quite the white bread that one usually
    associates with SOS.)
    I like toasted better than mushy untoasted white.
    http://i5.tinypic.com/6suo2fo.jpg

    The final proof is in the eating. It was good.

    http://i9.tinypic.com/8fyreqa.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Dee


    Looks really good Dee Dee. Good photography also.

    koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 11/15

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  7. Dee.Dee said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m.
    before noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks
    like.

    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for
    authentic SOS, I guess.


    Now you've done it, Dee Dee! There are going to be the "hamburger" vs.
    "dried chipped beef" SOS wars all over again! LOL It's like the "Alfredo
    vs. No Such Thing as Alfredo" wars.

    Personally, I just buy Stouffer's frozen creamed chipped beef and serve it
    over toast.

    Jill <---waiting for Sheldon to chime in about mystery meat being SOS heheh

  8. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee.Dee said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m.
    before noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks
    like.

    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for
    authentic SOS, I guess.


    Now you've done it, Dee Dee! There are going to be the "hamburger" vs.
    "dried chipped beef" SOS wars all over again! LOL It's like the "Alfredo
    vs. No Such Thing as Alfredo" wars.

    I think I was safe, as I think it's tooooo soon to start the SOS and Alfred
    wars again. It can wait until after the first of the year.

    Dee Dee

  9. Don Kleist said:
    Dee.Dee said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m.
    before noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks
    like.

    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for
    authentic SOS, I guess.

    Here is the brand I've always bought:
    http://i1.tinypic.com/7w7bi2p.jpg

    phew! nitrates - ugh! but only have it once in a while -- it still
    counts, though.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's what it looks like all rolled up inside the jar. Take it
    out, cut into whatever sized pieces you like. I put it in water to
    soak, but never rinse it. Just dip it out of the water into the
    skillet. It is not salty at all that way.

    http://i2.tinypic.com/6z54evo.jpg

    Home-made bread toasted (not quite the white bread that one usually
    associates with SOS.)
    I like toasted better than mushy untoasted white.
    http://i5.tinypic.com/6suo2fo.jpg

    The final proof is in the eating. It was good.

    http://i9.tinypic.com/8fyreqa.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Dee

    This is my mom's version of SOS. It is quite good. I generally use
    fresh mushrooms sautéed in a bit of butter. For the beef I use the
    thin-sliced lunch meat that comes in 4 ounce pkgs.

    Curried Chipped Beef and Mushrooms


    Hate to burst your bubble, Don, but creamed chipped beef isn't made from
    lunch meat and it certainly isn't curried. Maybe the military is stepping
    it up a notch these days? Ever been in the military? Didn't think so. Are
    you a military dependent who was served this as a child? Maybe... but your
    if your mother added curry powder and mushroooms she either didn't know how
    to cook it or couldn't stand it. 😉 I never actually developed a taste for
    it until I was in my 20's.

    Jill

  10. Dee.Dee said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee.Dee said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m.
    before noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks
    like.

    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for
    authentic SOS, I guess.


    Now you've done it, Dee Dee! There are going to be the "hamburger"
    vs. "dried chipped beef" SOS wars all over again! LOL It's like
    the "Alfredo vs. No Such Thing as Alfredo" wars.

    I think I was safe, as I think it's tooooo soon to start the SOS and
    Alfred wars again. It can wait until after the first of the year.

    Dee Dee

    Well, it's one of the things I'll try to get my father to eat when I'm there
    next week. He's barely eating, pretty much won't get out of bed. I've got
    a one way ticket and leave here on Monday. Don't know when I'll be back.
    I'm going to help my Mom out more than anything. But he does remember the
    creamed chipped beef version of SOS with fondness and Stouffer's makes a
    good one 🙂

    Jill

  11. Oh pshaw, on Sat 08 Dec 2007 12:12:14p, Dee.Dee meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m.


    before

    Quoted message said:

    noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks like.

    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for authentic
    SOS, I guess.

    Here is the brand I've always bought:
    http://i1.tinypic.com/7w7bi2p.jpg

    phew! nitrates - ugh! but only have it once in a while -- it still


    counts,

    Quoted message said:

    though.

    Here's what it looks like all rolled up inside the jar. Take it out, cut
    into whatever sized pieces you like. I put it in water to soak, but


    never

    Quoted message said:

    rinse it. Just dip it out of the water into the skillet. It is not


    salty

    Quoted message said:

    at all that way.

    http://i2.tinypic.com/6z54evo.jpg

    Home-made bread toasted (not quite the white bread that one usually
    associates with SOS.)
    I like toasted better than mushy untoasted white.
    http://i5.tinypic.com/6suo2fo.jpg

    The final proof is in the eating. It was good.

    http://i9.tinypic.com/8fyreqa.jpg

    Dee Dee

    Wish I had eaten with you tonight!

    AARP was offering a "driver's refresher course" which would lower your
    insurance premium significantly. Cost $10 for a two-day 4 hr/day class.
    David and I both went to it today and will go again tomorrow. The
    discounted insurance rate will be well worth the time spent.

    After the class ended at 4:00 pm we did our grocery shopping, then went to
    a little diner type place for post roast and vegetables, and a slice of
    coconut cream pie. Very tasty.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Date: Sat, 12/8/07

    *******************************************
    Countdown 'til Christmas
    2wks 4hrs 30mins
    *******************************************
    Committees keep minutes and lose hours.
    *******************************************

  12. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think I was safe, as I think it's tooooo soon to start the SOS and
    Alfred wars again. It can wait until after the first of the year.

    Dee Dee

    Quoted message said:


    Well, it's one of the things I'll try to get my father to eat when I'm
    there
    next week. He's barely eating, pretty much won't get out of bed. I've
    got
    a one way ticket and leave here on Monday. Don't know when I'll be back.

    I actually sang this sentence in my mind while I was reading it.
    "I'm leaving on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again."
    I hope that is not the case; that you will be back to your home soon, and
    all will be well.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going to help my Mom out more than anything. But he does remember the
    creamed chipped beef version of SOS with fondness and Stouffer's makes a
    good one 🙂

    Jill

    Good luck, Jill. Family illness is hard on everyone. Take care of
    yourself, too.
    Dee Dee

  13. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >

    Quoted message said:

    Wish I had eaten with you tonight!

    AARP was offering a "driver's refresher course" which would lower your
    insurance premium significantly. Cost $10 for a two-day 4 hr/day class.
    David and I both went to it today and will go again tomorrow. The
    discounted insurance rate will be well worth the time spent.

    After the class ended at 4:00 pm we did our grocery shopping, then went to
    a little diner type place for post roast and vegetables, and a slice of
    coconut cream pie. Very tasty.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Oh, those horrendous classes. But one does learn something, doesn't one?

    My yearly physical physican always asks me if I can still drive.
    But I'm afraid if I took a refresher course, they would rip my license.

    Yes, these classes will "keep on giving" discounts. You are doing the right
    thing.

    Here's the thing I failed on a drivers' license test and lost my pride. I
    looked in the left-hand mirror instead of turning my head to the left. Is
    that a rule there?

    All in all, today was not a good day for me nutritionally. I snacked on
    yogurt, carrots and blueberries, bananas while DH did all the shopping today
    and ate up-town, so dinner here was non-existent; just Saturday night snack
    food with recorded TV: potato-oven-fries, parm regg, pestachios, chocolate,
    and wine --- burp! I'm ashamed! I'll do better tomorrow, I promise.

    Dee Dee

  14. Oh pshaw, on Sat 08 Dec 2007 08:53:22p, Dee.Dee meant to say...

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >

    Quoted message said:

    Wish I had eaten with you tonight!

    AARP was offering a "driver's refresher course" which would lower your
    insurance premium significantly. Cost $10 for a two-day 4 hr/day
    class. David and I both went to it today and will go again tomorrow.
    The discounted insurance rate will be well worth the time spent.

    After the class ended at 4:00 pm we did our grocery shopping, then went
    to a little diner type place for post roast and vegetables, and a slice
    of coconut cream pie. Very tasty.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Oh, those horrendous classes. But one does learn something, doesn't
    one?

    Yes, it is informative.

    Quoted message said:

    My yearly physical physican always asks me if I can still drive.
    But I'm afraid if I took a refresher course, they would rip my license.

    My license is good until 2010. Renewel only involves a vision test, no
    driving or written tests.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, these classes will "keep on giving" discounts. You are doing the
    right thing.

    Here's the thing I failed on a drivers' license test and lost my pride.
    I looked in the left-hand mirror instead of turning my head to the left.
    Is that a rule there?

    I've never taken a driving exam here in AZ. When we moved from Ohio, our
    Ohio licenses were transferable. I only had to take a vision test.

    We did talk about using rear-view mirrors as well as turning ourhead and
    looking around, but I don't know if that would be convered on an actual AZ
    driving test.

    Quoted message said:

    All in all, today was not a good day for me nutritionally. I snacked on
    yogurt, carrots and blueberries, bananas while DH did all the shopping
    today and ate up-town, so dinner here was non-existent; just Saturday
    night snack food with recorded TV: potato-oven-fries, parm regg,
    pestachios, chocolate, and wine --- burp! I'm ashamed! I'll do better
    tomorrow, I promise.

    Oh, that's not such a bad day. But you certainly didn't have a meal.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Date: Saturday, December 8th,2007

    *******************************************
    Countdown 'til Christmas
    2wks 2hrs 45mins
    *******************************************
    God invented women because sheep can't
    cook.
    *******************************************

  15. Dee.Dee said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think I was safe, as I think it's tooooo soon to start the SOS and
    Alfred wars again. It can wait until after the first of the year.

    Dee Dee

    Quoted message said:


    Well, it's one of the things I'll try to get my father to eat when
    I'm there
    next week. He's barely eating, pretty much won't get out of bed.
    I've got
    a one way ticket and leave here on Monday. Don't know when I'll be
    back.

    I actually sang this sentence in my mind while I was reading it.
    "I'm leaving on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again."
    I hope that is not the case; that you will be back to your home soon,
    and all will be well.


    You mean this?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm going to help my Mom out more than anything. But he does
    remember the creamed chipped beef version of SOS with fondness and
    Stouffer's makes a good one 🙂


    Good luck, Jill. Family illness is hard on everyone. Take care of
    yourself, too.
    Dee Dee

    He's 83. He's dying. I booked a one way ticket at Mom's request and I fly
    out on Monday. It's a one way ticket. I'll be gone for however long she
    needs me.

    Jill

  16. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee.Dee said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    > I think I was safe, as I think it's tooooo soon to start the SOS and
    > Alfred wars again. It can wait until after the first of the year.
    >
    > Dee Dee

    Quoted message said:


    Well, it's one of the things I'll try to get my father to eat when
    I'm there
    next week. He's barely eating, pretty much won't get out of bed.
    I've got
    a one way ticket and leave here on Monday. Don't know when I'll be
    back.

    I actually sang this sentence in my mind while I was reading it.
    "I'm leaving on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again."
    I hope that is not the case; that you will be back to your home soon,
    and all will be well.


    You mean this?

    Yes, I hadn't heard that for a long time --

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Good luck, Jill. Family illness is hard on everyone. Take care of
    yourself, too.
    Dee Dee

    He's 83. He's dying. I booked a one way ticket at Mom's request and I fly
    out on Monday. It's a one way ticket. I'll be gone for however long she
    needs me.

    Jill

    I know that she will need you and be thankful you are there for her.
    Eat well and try to keep in good spirits.
    Dee Dee

  17. "Dee.Dee" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m.
    before noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks
    like.

    Ummmmmmmm, what's SOS?

    (Apart from the other obvious versions!!)

  18. jmcquown said:
    Dee.Dee said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    > I think I was safe, as I think it's tooooo soon to start the SOS
    > and Alfred wars again. It can wait until after the first of the
    > year.
    >
    > Dee Dee

    Quoted message said:


    Well, it's one of the things I'll try to get my father to eat when
    I'm there
    next week. He's barely eating, pretty much won't get out of bed.
    I've got
    a one way ticket and leave here on Monday. Don't know when I'll be
    back.

    I actually sang this sentence in my mind while I was reading it.
    "I'm leaving on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again."
    I hope that is not the case; that you will be back to your home soon,
    and all will be well.


    You mean this?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm going to help my Mom out more than anything. But he does
    remember the creamed chipped beef version of SOS with fondness and
    Stouffer's makes a good one 🙂


    Good luck, Jill. Family illness is hard on everyone. Take care of
    yourself, too.
    Dee Dee

    He's 83. He's dying. I booked a one way ticket at Mom's request and
    I fly out on Monday. It's a one way ticket. I'll be gone for
    however long she needs me.

    Good luck Jill and take care.

  19. Dee.Dee said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m.
    before noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks
    like.
    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for
    authentic SOS, I guess.

    Here is the brand I've always bought:
    http://i1.tinypic.com/7w7bi2p.jpg

    phew! nitrates - ugh! but only have it once in a while -- it still
    counts, though.

    Here's what it looks like all rolled up inside the jar. Take it out,
    cut into whatever sized pieces you like. I put it in water to soak,
    but never rinse it. Just dip it out of the water into the skillet. It is
    not salty at all that way.

    http://i2.tinypic.com/6z54evo.jpg

    Home-made bread toasted (not quite the white bread that one usually
    associates with SOS.)
    I like toasted better than mushy untoasted white.
    http://i5.tinypic.com/6suo2fo.jpg

    The final proof is in the eating. It was good.

    http://i9.tinypic.com/8fyreqa.jpg

    Dee Dee

    Your pix make it look palatable, but I could never stomach that stuff. My
    mom used to make it - WITH peas, by the way (oh, and those little, tiny
    pearl onions, too). I could never stand that beef!

    kili <------ still shuddering on the memory

  20. Dee.Dee said:

    What are you-ALL eating/cooking today?

    We had been discussing SOS sometime back. I made it late this a.m.
    before noon, so thought I'd post the pics of what mine usually looks
    like.
    I most always add peas to mine, though. Leave out the peas for
    authentic SOS, I guess.

    Here is the brand I've always bought:
    http://i1.tinypic.com/7w7bi2p.jpg

    phew! nitrates - ugh! but only have it once in a while -- it still
    counts, though.

    Here's what it looks like all rolled up inside the jar. Take it out,
    cut into whatever sized pieces you like. I put it in water to soak,
    but never rinse it. Just dip it out of the water into the skillet. It is
    not salty at all that way.

    http://i2.tinypic.com/6z54evo.jpg

    Home-made bread toasted (not quite the white bread that one usually
    associates with SOS.)
    I like toasted better than mushy untoasted white.
    http://i5.tinypic.com/6suo2fo.jpg

    The final proof is in the eating. It was good.

    http://i9.tinypic.com/8fyreqa.jpg

    Dee Dee

    I actually had a turkey sandwich yesterday. We did a ham for Thanksgiving
    and post T-day someone gave us a turkey. We cooked it earlier this week and
    had two wings left (by the way, I am NOT a turkey fan). For some reason, I
    wanted a sandwich. So, I had wing meat on wheat toast with swiss cheese,
    sliced pickles and fresh, homegrown lettuce from my MIL's garden. I would
    have loved bacon and a tomato on there, but I was lucky enough that we had
    lettuce on hand! That filled me up for the whole day, so for dinner I fried
    up my hubby a couple of burgers; he was happy. :~)

    kili

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.