Saw a cyclist hit by a car yesterday

angrydave

Jul 29, 2003
We have an area here in the town I live in commonly used by cyclists and runners, there are MTB trails, a picnic loop which is closed most weekdays for road cyclists to use, and several running trails. Many of the roadies, also ride down the road which runs through the park, and apparently this is what was happening yesterday, I didnt see what the biker was doing, I was sitting in my car, and I heard tires skidding,then a sick thump. I saw the bike pitched up in the air, and the legs of the rider as he tumbled out into the intersection.

I of course stopped, and a police officer had been in traffic as well and pulled over to aide. The EMT's were there in literally minutes. The guy at least had a broken leg, and probably arm, the police ran us off pretty quick, as this is a heavily travelled piece of road, and traffic was stopping up pretty bad. The speed limit is 35 through here, and I heard a police officer remark that they estimated the drivers speed at over 50 given the length of the marks.

It just never stops...

Originally posted by angrydave
We have an area here in the town I live in commonly used by cyclists and runners, there are MTB trails, a picnic loop which is closed most weekdays for road cyclists to use, and several running trails. Many of the roadies, also ride down the road which runs through the park, and apparently this is what was happening yesterday, I didnt see what the biker was doing, I was sitting in my car, and I heard tires skidding,then a sick thump. I saw the bike pitched up in the air, and the legs of the rider as he tumbled out into the intersection.

I of course stopped, and a police officer had been in traffic as well and pulled over to aide. The EMT's were there in literally minutes. The guy at least had a broken leg, and probably arm, the police ran us off pretty quick, as this is a heavily travelled piece of road, and traffic was stopping up pretty bad. The speed limit is 35 through here, and I heard a police officer remark that they estimated the drivers speed at over 50 given the length of the marks.

I'm sorry that you had to see that. I was on a ride once where a guy had a heart attack. We tried but we couldn't save him. It rips me apart when I hear about these things. We are cyclists not fair game. We are people not statistics. We are one with the universe. We live to bike, and we bike to live.

It just never stops...

That is awful, have you been able to find out how the guy/girl made out? Was this in Austin, like around Zilker Park? Sounds like it... That's a sticky spot, it's tempting to drive through there fast, and tempting to bike through there at whatever pace you will...

SAra

Originally posted by less'go
That is awful, have you been able to find out how the guy/girl made out? Was this in Austin, like around Zilker Park? Sounds like it... That's a sticky spot, it's tempting to drive through there fast, and tempting to bike through there at whatever pace you will...

SAra

It was in Houston, at Memorial Park, though I ride up there at Zilker a few times a month. You're right, Zilker is a place that tempts you to drive fast.

I haven't heard a word yet about how he did, I'm trying to find out.

Dave

Every time I hear a story like this it makes me think. Is it worth the risk? Are we brave or just stupid?

And the thing that dicks me off is, there is no answer!!

Originally posted by pineapple
Every time I hear a story like this it makes me think. Is it worth the risk? Are we brave or just stupid?

And the thing that dicks me off is, there is no answer!!

I believe that it's scary but worth it. I will always bike somewhere somehow. We can only hope that justice will be served.