SCAM ALERT! - Interested Bike Purchasers...

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ez Biker :-\), May 13, 2003.

  1. OK, fellow recumboer's, I believe a similar alert about this has already been posted somewhere,
    perhaps at BROL; but thought I'd post it here, to forewarn anyone. I've had my 02 Tailwind up for
    sale for less than a week and I've gotten 5 e-mails, like the following:

    1.) Dear seller, I am international dealer that deal in importing and exporting of bikes.I am
    interested in your Rans 02 Tailwind and i want you to give me the last price of it so that i can
    arrange on how payment will be made to you.Meanwhile my mode of payment will be by a cashier's
    check drawn from an american bank.If this is okay by you do get back to me as soon as possible so
    that will can make the transaction a very fast one and don't forget to send me pictures of the
    bike. Thanks. Brian.

    2.) My response: Brian, the price for the bike is $800.00. You can see pictures of it, at the
    following link: http://photos.yahoo.com/ezbiker_2 Any payment would be made through my local bike
    shop. (If the bike is to be shipped) Ken His response: THANKSFOR YOUR MAIL, I WILL LIKE TO BUY
    THIS BIKE BUT THERE IS SOMETHING I WILL LIKE YOU TO KNOW FIRST MY CLIENT IN USA IS OWING ME $5000
    AND I HAVE INFORMED HIM ABOUT THIS BIKE AND HE PROMISED ME THAT HE WILL ISSUE A CHECK OF $5000 TO
    YOU.PLEASE I WILL WANT YOU TO HELP ME SEND THE REMAINING BALANCE TO MY SHIPPER THAT WILL COME TO
    YOUR HOUSE FOR THE SHIPPING OF THE BIKE AFTER YOU MIGHT HAVE DEUCTED THE TOTAL COST OF YOUR BIKE
    WHICH IS $800 .AND THE REMAINING $4200 SHOULD BE SEND THROUGH MONEY GRAM TO MY SHIPPER.IF THIS
    OKAY BY YOU GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WITH YOUR FULL CONTACT ADDRESS ,PHONE NUMBER,AND
    YOUR FULL NAME THAT WILL BE ON THE CHECK ,SO THAT I CAN FORWARD IT TO MY CLIENT THAT WILL SEND YOU
    THE CHECK. THANKS. BRIAN.

    Just don't fall for this cra...!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti &
    Tailwind Pilot)

    Tags:

  2. Another Nigerian scam permutation. I wonder how many actually fall for it.

    M.

    ELWOOD: It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's
    dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

    JAKE: Hit it!

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Another Nigerian scam permutation.

    Here's one I received yesterday:

    >From: mathew smith <[email protected]> Subject Re:YOUR Haluzak Hybrid Race FOR SALE
    >Goodday, Im Mr MATHEW SMITH from California US, presently im working in west africa,im a CAR dealer
    >i import and sell Used and new CAR from
    around
    > the world .
    >
    > Im one the the general dealers of VEHICLES TRUCKS AND OTHER AUTOMOBILES
    in
    > west africa.
    >
    > I would want to purchase from you and have it brought to west africa, i would be handling the
    > shipping my self.
    >
    > If you are intererested in doing business with me dont hesistate to
    contact
    > me .
    >
    > SIGNED... MATHEW SMITH

    Yea, right. I don't believe he is from the USA because "mericans" don't say "g'day" and he didn't
    make enough grammatical and spelling errors. Why a car dealer would be interested in a Haluzak is a
    bit fuzzy as well.

    rorschandt

  4. Reese Kaplan

    Reese Kaplan Guest

    For what it's worth, I had the same email sent to me for a Linear I sold just recently...I wonder if
    anyone is gullible enough to believe this guy?

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Are those the same folks that almost got 5 bikes from Bike Friday?

  6. rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:b9q[email protected]:
    >
    > > Another Nigerian scam permutation.

    It seems that scam is headed to the west coast too. I get tired of trikes hanging from the rafters,
    and taking up the floor of my closet. I put an old S&B on recumbents.com with or without the motor,
    and the first e-mail I got was "what motor? None in San Francisco! Never heard of such a thing.'
    Have to wait and see, but I may as well get my wrenches out and a few boxes for the small parts!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    "EZ Biker :)" wrote:

    > OK, fellow recumboer's, I believe a similar alert about this has already been posted somewhere,
    > perhaps at BROL; but thought I'd post it here, to forewarn anyone. I've had my 02 Tailwind up for
    > sale for less than a week and I've gotten 5 e-mails, like the following:
    >
    > 1.) Dear seller, I am international dealer that deal in importing and exporting of bikes.I am
    > interested in your Rans 02 Tailwind...

    Right there is a dead giveaway - any person knowledgeable about recumbents would know that RANS is
    always in CAPITAL LETTERS. ;)

  8. John Riley

    John Riley Guest