Scared ?

Dennis P

Sep 4, 2003
I have a 17 year old Schwinn Peloton frame with 7sp Durace. It's kept in a garage on the east coast (humid). Great bike but should I start to worry about a fork or frame break while at speed. About 20k miles total. Is it a good excuse to buy a new bike, or just keep enjoying the ride?

Originally posted by Dennis P
I have a 17 year old Schwinn Peloton frame with 7sp Durace. It's kept in a garage on the east coast (humid). Great bike but should I start to worry about a fork or frame break while at speed. About 20k miles total. Is it a good excuse to buy a new bike, or just keep enjoying the ride?

Lugged frames way back when will last a lifetime. That frame will outlast your components.

BaCardi said:
Lugged frames way back when will last a lifetime. That frame will outlast your components.
Wow, I'm posting here two years and a few months after the last post...must be a record.

I ride a 1984 Schwinn Peloton with a lugged Columbus steel frame. I agree with the above, the frame will last a lifetime. A sweet ride, a few lbs heavier than the rest in my ride group, downtube shifters, with 170 crank arms not the greatest climber but it can keep up with the Peloton.