Schiavo debate: Ploy for evangelical vote in 06'?

Thank you gentlemen for clarifying that church and state are indeed separate in the USA.
And long may that demarcation exist.

zapper said:
Sort of...it meant to prohibited the government from setting up a state religion, such as Britain has, but no barriers will be erected against the practice of any religion.
Correct. But now people get their panties wadded when the words God or Jesus Christ are even mentioned.

zapper said:
No..got it all wrong...the amendment was meant to protect the Church, not to disestablish it. But the way it was written leaves much to interpretation...
now you are waffling-waffle-king. It was addressed because of the correspondence I mentioned. It was inserted to give equality to ALL religious beleifs not just your precious one. More than one of the founders was a Deist. Heard of them :confused:

limerickman said:
Thank you gentlemen for clarifying that church and state are indeed separate in the USA.
And long may that demarcation exist.
Thank you Lim. If there is any sort of justice, the "wall of seperation" will continue to exist over here.

Colorado Ryder said:
Correct. But now people get their panties wadded when the words God or Jesus Christ are even mentioned.
It might look that way from some perspectives, but from others, this is a country where churches exist on every third city block, and where elected officials who refrain from openly testifying Christian faith are at a considerable political disadvantage. It's a country where devoutly Christian conservatives, and the theologically-grounded policy they openly support, dominate the majority political party.

None of this is necessarily the end of the world (to someone like me), but pitching the nation's Christian community as embattled seems extremely shortsighted and self-pitying.

davidmc said:
now you are waffling-waffle-king. It was addressed because of the correspondence I mentioned. It was inserted to give equality to ALL religious beleifs not just your precious one. More than one of the founders was a Deist. Heard of them :confused:
In part what you are saying is correct but pancake head...you just stated this "It was inserted to give equality to ALL religious beleifs" thought you said something about a wall and separation and all that other mumbo jumbo"It is you who resembles an "eggo" now...Tread master :rolleyes:

davidmc said:
You would be against the Deists. They believe in one God. You don't believe in any God.

Colorado Ryder said:
You would be against the Deists. They believe in one God. You don't believe in any God.
I think David would prefer hanging with Deists to conservative Christians, so what's the point? His point--that the founders included a slew of Deist intellecutals, and weren't simply Christians up and down--is a valid one.

Colorado Ryder said:
this is true. I am an evolutionary, humanist. Granted, I could be wrong but, I get concerned when people start making governmental decisions based on one religion. We know the right aren't interested in buddhism or other, non-christian religious beleifs. I gave four years to this country, part of that in Dam Neck, Va. (your part of the woods) & my voice will not be heard :confused: . I think not.

lokstah said:
I think David would prefer hanging with Deists to conservative Christians, so what's the point? His point--that the founders included a slew of Deist intellecutals, and weren't simply Christians up and down--is a valid one.
Thank you. Sometimes, if I don't get enough kibbles, my canine brain begins to drift :D

lokstah said:
Alright...alright...just giving him a hard time. Any foul in that?

lokstah said:
I don't think David would want to hang with the Deists from 1776. The values and morals of then would be repressive compared to today.

Colorado Ryder said:
I don't think David would want to hang with the Deists from 1776. The values and morals of then would be repressive compared to today.
Well that's a moot point, because their hygene, eating habits, toilets, use of language and the quality of their **** would be unsatisfactory as well. Sure, it was a different age. The obvious counter would be that David would much prefer hanging out with an 18th century Deist than an 18th century Calvinist.

lokstah said:
Well that's a moot point, because their hygene, eating habits, toilets, use of language and the quality of their **** would be unsatisfactory as well. Sure, it was a different age. The obvious counter would be that David would much prefer hanging out with an 18th century Deist than an 18th century Calvinist.
Well now your just splitting hairs. Of course their **** would have unsatisfactory. It was hand drawn with quill pens.
Deism in 1776 was much different than Deism today.

Colorado Ryder said:
Well now your just splitting hairs. Of course their **** would have unsatisfactory. It was hand drawn with quill pens.
Hey, I hate to change the subject but has anyone seen this halftime soccer performance in Europe? what a hoot...I think I saw Lim in the middle...

http://gorillamask.net/Media/halftime2.wmv

Colorado Ryder said:
So was the Christianity, so it's a wash. The former was still the more progressive ideal.

lokstah said:
So was the Christianity, so it's a wash. The former was still the more progressive ideal.
May well be more progressive. God doesn't change his word to fit with our current state of civilization. Only man tries to change God's word to fit his needs.

lokstah said:
This is true but, the clergy were one of the most highly educated, of the populace in the colonies, at that time. More than likely educated in Britain. Now education is available to everyone so the clergy don't have a monopoly.
Franklin was a Deist, I beleive. Smart, industrious, self-taught man. Only individual to sign ALL of the country's founding documents.