School project, designing product to market in UK?

Momentum09

Feb 4, 2008
Hello! I am a high school student in the United States. As part of a team marketing project, I must design and market a new product for a sport that is not popular in the U.S. Our team must introduce the new product to a foreign company.

We've chosen cycling as the sport and the UK as our market. Since our knowledge of bike design is limited, we've decided to focus our attention on safety gear and apparel.

The concept I had in mind was a type of hooded shirt with padded shoulders. It would be fitted but loose enough for comfort and for a layer of padding around the shoudlers in elbows. What do you think about this idea?

I read an article about a mall in Great Britain that banned hoodies because of the negative connotations with gangs, but I think what I have in mind is more functional. I think that the right type of padding could reduce the stress on the shoulders during falls or collisions. Do you think there is a market for this anywhere in the UK?

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions. We're still researching the market, so please let me know if there are any trends worth knowing about.

Thanks!

Lose the hood! It is hard to wear a helmet with a hood and the helmet should be the #2 saftey device that a rider uses. The #1 saftey device is his brain, which is protected by the #2 saftey device, the helmet.

Also, don't make it loose. Go to your local cycling shop and look at the gear that they have. None of it is loose because loose clothing is not aerodynamic.

There might be a small market for this in the bicycling community, but it is more likely to be popular among skateboarders and in-line skaters.

Trust a road cyclist to only consider one form of cycling :rolleyes: :D

Mountain bikers and urban warriors, (BMX freestyle riders), would give it a look as they are not so hung up about aerodynamics, just look at clothes like the excellent Sombrio brand for example. Alot of their gear has hoods.

I've tried body armour before and the thing that you would have to get right is the pad staying in place around the elbow, which if it is loose it may not do, which sort of destroys the point. Elbow pads are pretty uncomfortable but they work 'cuse of the velcro strips. I'm not sure about padded shoulders I've never hurt my shoulders when mountain biking mostly elbows, (I have a lovely scar on one), knees,(scars on them to), and hands that I've always damaged, but maybe trick bikers do damage shoulders, so some research would be needed.

What material are you going to use? Probabily Kevlar as thats what most flexable padding is made of.

Also unless the product looks good, nobody will wear it, (even if it is a high school project),

Good luck if you wanna cary on, mind you there has to be an easier safety device to come up with? And its all about getting the best grade with the least amount of effort right?:D

I've always liked the idea of a light-indicator for turning coners in the dark.

Jonahhobbes said:
Trust a road cyclist to only consider one form of cycling :rolleyes: :D
Excuse me for writing only what I know about;). Although I do own a cheap hardtail and occasionally can be found slogging through the mud, I much prefer riding and discussing fast road riding. I wouldn't be caught dead on a BMX because I probably would be caught dead if I were to ride one(at least the way I have seen them ridden).

For other safety devices, how about a helmet that is actually stylish, something that people would want to wear like they do ball caps. Or a device that would keep you from falling when you can't unclip from your pedals fast enough.

kdelong said:
Excuse me for writing only what I know about;). Although I do own a cheap hardtail and occasionally can be found slogging through the mud, I much prefer riding and discussing fast road riding. I wouldn't be caught dead on a BMX because I probably would be caught dead if I were to ride one(at least the way I have seen them ridden).

For other safety devices, how about a helmet that is actually stylish, something that people would want to wear like they do ball caps. Or a device that would keep you from falling when you can't unclip from your pedals fast enough.
now that's some idea.;)