Schwinn Ascension 29er from Target

conveyorman

Jul 24, 2014
Recently purchased a Schwinn Ascension 29" from Target dept. store. The price was ok and from what I read the main concerns/complaints most had were watch for the assembly of bike. Not being a bicycle mechanic but a mechanic of sorts I tried to insure assembly looked good which it did. Shifted good in all gears, forks not backwards, tires centered, hardware tight, etc. I have now owned the bike for two months and all was great. Starting out mostly on paved/gravel paths, and light trails. Decided to step it up a bit and started riding a bit rougher trails but mostly intermediate. While climbing a trail with minor to moderate roots bike would pedal but no transfer of power to wheel. Turns out threads on the hub actually stripped out! Took it to LBS and they ordered me a cassette wheel with new cassette. Also told me different bikes manufactured for big box stores. My question is other than maybe front rim and spokes a bit cheaper should I now be worried about other problems arising because of big box store model. All else seems to work good shimamo retailers, front suspension, ect. Don't mind spending the money on new rear but really don't have cash for brand new bike. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Really do like the bike overall. Thanks

I am a believer of Schwinn bikes. I've been on them since I started riding so long ago. Thanks to my grandpa owning a Schwinn bike shop, it was easy to get things straightened out when I needed. The thing with bikes is, unless you buy them from a shop/store that deals with ONLY bike stuff, you're gonna find you have to tweak a few things here and there. Department store "mechanics" sometimes get paid by the bike, therefore you tend to see "conveyor belt" assembly. When you get it home, you find the brakes not adjusted or the forks on backwards, etc.
I, too, bought a Ascension from Target. I jumped on it and rode it around the block a few times to see/listen for what needed to be tweaked. Brake cables were first, derailuers next, and disc brakes lastly. I don't ride hard like I used to, but I can feel fairly confident that this bike will hold up. This is a entry level bike, maybe. You wont win big competitions with it, but its a decent 29er to build from. You can get yourself into shape with this bike, as is. You can upgrade some parts here and there, but Id move up to another level bike from Schwinn before Id do that. But that's me. Just a thought, anyway.
Until that time comes, take your time to look, listen, and feel how the bike is working. If you are mechanically inclined, you can figure out how to make adjustments to your bike.

What is there to believe about contemporary Schwinn bikes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwinn_Bicycle_Company#Sale_to_Pacific_and_Nautilus

I would contact Target or Schwinn to see if you can get warranty coverage.