Schwinn impact

Sudden Impact

Jul 29, 2008
Hi folks!

I've got a Schwinn Impact that I've owned for darn near 20 years and am getting back into commuting with it to work. (11 miles each way).

I was wondering if there's a front shock that would fit on this beast. I can't seem to locate one. Is it even worth it for a commuter bike?

Here are a couple of recent pics;

b1-1.jpg

b2-1.jpg

It is absolutely not worth it. For the road, it would be heavier and just slow you down on your commute. If you really need a softer ride, let some air out of the tires and run at a lower pressure. On the plus side, that's a great looking older Schwinn Impact bike! I seriously wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks for the input!

I agree. I recently learned how much shocks actually weigh!

Now that I've ditched this strep throat and it's stopped raining in NY (for the moment) maybe I can get back on it!

Thanks for the compliment! This bike has NEVER let me down. I recently read an interview with Matt Modine where he rode his first beach cruiser till it broke.

That's my goal... gonne ride it til one of us breaks!

What a lovely bike. Please don't change it.

Suspension forks absorb some forward energy when they move up and down. Unless the bumps are big enough to bounce the front wheel into the air, a solid fork is more efficient.

The forks available for a 1" threaded steerer are fairly low end, or you'd have to rebuild a used one.

Thank you for confirmng what I thought.

Everyone is urging me to get a "modern" bike but I just can't justify it as this one is still quite capable.

I really LOVE this bike. it's like an old friend and I think if I changed it, it would really be a bad thing.

I appreciate the input and the compliment!

:cool:

Can anyone point me in the direction to upgrading the shifters and derailleurs for my impact. Dont know how old it is but just that it has a shimano shifter and derailleur 3x6 speed. Is it possible to add another speed to 9? or even 7? Im kind of new to all this and is my first serious bike. Thanks

Originally Posted by Tommy Fennig .

Can anyone point me in the direction to upgrading the shifters and derailleurs for my impact. Dont know how old it is but just that it has a shimano shifter and derailleur 3x6 speed. Is it possible to add another speed to 9? or even 7? Im kind of new to all this and is my first serious bike. Thanks
You can change your bike to a 7-speed by simply buying the appropriate shifters + a SunRace Freewheel (presuming your bike's rear wheel does not use Cassettes). If you can't get one from your local bike shop, then source it via eBay. About $20 + shipping ... probably, $30+ from your LBS.

If you want to change to an 8-/9-/10-speed then you will EITHER need a new rear wheel which uses Cassettes OR relace the current wheel on a new hub (again, I am presuming your bike's rear wheel uses Freewheels) ...

• you should be able to use an 8-speed shifter for a 6-/7-speed setup, BTW

You will ALSO need to replace the chain to match the Cassette ... an 8-speed chain for an 8-speed Cassette, a 9-speed chain for a 9-speed Cassette, etc.

You CANNOT mismatch the chain because the front derailleur expects (is engineered to use) a certain width chain UNLESS you are only planning on shifting on two-out-of-the-three chainrings. People have tried & then lamented not being able to get their drivetrain to work properly or suggested that you need to be a magician to set up a front derailleur or require similar skills.

You MAY need to change the front derailleur if you opt for a 9-/10-speed configuration. You probably won't need to change the front derailleur if you only opt for an 8-speed drivetrain (now or in-the-future)

You MAY NOT need to change the rear derailleur -- try your existing rear derailleur before you pony up for a new one UNLESS you are keen to go for a full blown upgrade.