Scotsman newspaper axes weekly cycle column

LaidBack

Guest
The Scotsman newspaper has suddenly decided to axe (or suspend?) Donald
Smith's weekly cycling column.

A shame really as it put cycling into the weekend 'lifestyle' magazine
along with other aspirational stuff.

With an election (in Scotland) coming up it seemed an ideal time to
talk about alternatives.

Maybe the Scotsman didn't see it that way though. No longer owned by
the mysterious Barclay brothers and rid of the non-cycling night owl
Andrew Neil I was begining to thing that they had taken notice of the
Green vote.

No such luck. The hunting shooting and fishing column of course remains
untouched!

Best wishes to Donald - he only heard he was getting dropped two days
ago and never had a chance to write an official last column! Of course
being a true cyclist he's used to suddenly being cut up... still.

http://living.scotsman.com/people.cfm?id=19542007

How many a other cycling columns are there left I wonder? Independent,
Guardian etc
Do they help make cycling mainstream?

in message <[email protected]>, LaidBack
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Maybe the Scotsman didn't see it that way though. No longer owned by
> the mysterious Barclay brothers and rid of the non-cycling night owl
> Andrew Neil...

Ooh! I missed that. OK, I might start buying it again. H'mmm... why the
heck does an English local newspaper company want to own The Scotsman?

... a mild, inoffensive sadist...