Scott Addict R4 Bottom Bracket Advice

tigerblade

Jul 6, 2011
I have a 2008 Scott Addict R4 with Shimano Ultegra BB
The BB cups are push fit.

They are starting to grind so need replacing, but I have not done this before, so need some advice.
Do I need replacement cups, or can I just replace the bearings (like in the headset)?

What size bearings and/or cups do i need?
Thanks

Judging by the tenor of your question, I'll presume you don't have a bearing press so you should take this work to your LBS to have it done. The bearings press-in, and will need to be pressed-out of course. I have a 2010 Fuji SST with press-fit bearings as well. You want this done by a pro shop, or someone with the correct tools.

The Scott R4 uses a BB86 (Shimano Press-fit standard) bottom bracket.

The bearings are encased in composite/plastic cups and are not designed to be removed from them. Instead the bearings and cups are removed from, and installed into, the frame as a single unit. Removal is acheived by punching the cups and bearings out (this usually damages/destroys the cups in the process). New cups (with bearings) are then pressed in.

It is not a hard operation by any means, but, as said above, if you've never done it before you should take it to someone who has. See if they will let you watch them do it.

Tafi, I have a Scott Addict R 4 2008 and I put an FSA compact Crankset on it. I am getting a lot of what I think is Bottom Bracket noise. What would you suggest as the best press fit BB for my set up. Thanks, Bruce