seat tube angle

bluboy4_us

Jun 5, 2004
Are there any bike manufacturers that will let me order a road frame with a shallower seat tube angle? I’ve got a Cannondale with a Ritchey seat post. I’ve shoved the seat all the way back and the plumb line still falls forward of pedal axle. Now it’s time to buy a new bike because some S.O.B. hit-and-run driver trashed my ‘dale and I’m looking for a road frame that’ll allow me to get neutral position. Are there any bike makers that’ll let me make a custom order?

bluboy4_us said:
Are there any bike makers that’ll let me make a custom order?
Yeah, one that is in the custom business. Not the big names like trek cdale giant or specialized.Ya using a setback seatpost?

boudreaux said:
Yeah, one that is in the custom business. Not the big names like trek cdale giant or specialized.Ya using a setback seatpost?

Got any names and/or links? I'm using a ritchey seat post (read original post). It has the most setback of any post I could find.

bluboy4_us said:
Got any names and/or links? I'm using a ritchey seat post (read original post). It has the most setback of any post I could find.
I work with three frame manufacturers that have a custom frame service. Each one is for a different reason. Let me know if interested.

2boysintow said:
I work with three frame manufacturers that have a custom frame service. Each one is for a different reason. Let me know if interested.
Which manufacturers and what are the prices and materials?

A far, far, far cheaper solution, if this is all you want to do, is to get a seatpost with more setback. Just surf Ebay, etc. and you'll easily and inexpensively find one. I can't think of a post with more setback than a Look carbon post, but they're moderately expensive. When riding, once you get the saddle where it should be, your body doesn't know a thing about the frame's actual seat tube angle.

bluboy4_us said:
Are there any bike manufacturers that will let me order a road frame with a shallower seat tube angle? I’ve got a Cannondale with a Ritchey seat post. I’ve shoved the seat all the way back and the plumb line still falls forward of pedal axle. Now it’s time to buy a new bike because some S.O.B. hit-and-run driver trashed my ‘dale and I’m looking for a road frame that’ll allow me to get neutral position. Are there any bike makers that’ll let me make a custom order?

bluboy4_us said:
Which manufacturers and what are the prices and materials?
A magnesium manufacturer is Paketa Bikes. They are the only frame builder that works with this material. It is simply amazing... close to the ride of carbon with stiffness of titanium/aluminum. www.paketabike.com

Aluminum manufacturer is Elite Bicycles. www.elitebicycles.com They certainly are the experts when it comes to fit and they guarantee their recommendations as all custom frame builders should.

Find your local dealer and have fun!

bluboy4_us said:
Did you check out the Thompson setback or the FSA setbacks? I know the Thompson is setback pretty far.

Rideastrong said:
Did you check out the Thompson setback or the FSA setbacks? I know the Thompson is setback pretty far.
Since your frame is toast... buy the frame with the geometry that you want... stick the seatpost on it that won't compromise the angle you're looking for... or whatever one you have from your previous ride... Most setback seatposts are setback about 2 cm. This can (very roughly) equate to about 2 degrees.

I'm experimenting right now with a Javelin Arcole. These come with a pretty shallow seat tube angle however use a Selcof seatpost that moves you forward. The thought is that you get a good aero fit, but have the handling characteristics of a standard road bike... I need to find some hills to find out.... I wonder if the saddle will hit me in the rear when I stand up....:confused:

On my road bike, it's built to 73.5 and I use a setback seatpost, longer top tube, very short stem. In off-season I put a zero degree seatpost on it for a more upright and comfortable position. My tri bike is built to 78 degrees and I use a zero degree seatpost with the saddle slid forward. The top tube is longer so I'm weighted properly on the bike... It's about 81 degrees... but it's comfy and feels powerful. My computrainer watt output confirmed it.

I agree with the FIST methodology when it comes to tri fit. www.slowtwitch.com

Sympathise with your predicament .. I'm in much the same boat, long femur.

Custom is probably the best way to go, but I've done some sniffing round, and there are some manufacturers who do bikes with slack seat tubes ... two that I know of (both French) are Lapierre (as per the Francaise de Jeux team) at www.cycles-lapierre.fr, and most notably a smaller company .. Girs (www.girs.fr). The Girs 58 cm Frame has a seat tube angle of 71.7. Not bad!

There are others of course, and even Merckx frames have a pretty slack seat angle .. though a longish top tube.

I'm not sure about the seat setback solution .. once it gets back too far, I wonder how much the stability/balance of the bike is compromised.

Good luck with it .. and if you find any off-the-shelf solutions, let me know!

B