Seat Tube Clamping Roof Rack for Carbon Bike

LazarusLong

May 4, 2011
Hi all, I just bought a new carbon fiber Felt Z5, and I'm wondering if it's safe to transport it using my old Graber 4-bike roof rack. As mentioned in the title, the rack secures the bike by clamping to the seat tube. I've read very conflicting reviews on this, and am probably more confused than I was when I started researching it.

Can anyone say for sure whether the danger is from the clamping force or the vibration? If it's the vibration, can you solve the problem just by putting a rag between the clamp and the tube?

So far I've been transporting the bike inside the car, but we'll be going on vacation this summer with lots of luggage, so that won't be an option. Thanks!

I'm not sure it's a good idea to use a rack that clamps to a Carbon tube on a bike. I've always been under the impression that is a situation that you avoid at all cost with Carbon. When I worked in a bike shop during the 90s the owner would have run around like his hair was on fire if he had caught someone clamping a Carbon bike in a repair stand using anything but the Seatpost.

My first racing bike was a Carbon Specialized and I would have never even thought of clamping one of the carbon tubes in any stand or rack.

To each his own... and it's ultimately your decision. You might want to Email your question to Felt and see what they say.... (I can almost guarantee they will tell you NOT to do it)

If you get a chance.... Follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason" http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/