Seatpost with more setback than AC

Art

Guest
I have a Brooks Pro saddle on an American Classic
seatpost. I would like to have a little more setback,
one cm would be good. Which seatposts could I use?

Thanks.

Bill

Art wrote:
> I have a Brooks Pro saddle on an American Classic
> seatpost. I would like to have a little more setback,
> one cm would be good. Which seatposts could I use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

easton.

Art wrote:
> I have a Brooks Pro saddle on an American Classic
> seatpost. I would like to have a little more setback,
> one cm would be good. Which seatposts could I use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

About the only sort of conventional seatpost with more setback than the
American Classic is the Profile Triathalon style Fast Forward seatpost.
Its supposed to be used to push the seat forward a couple inches. But
you can turn it around and get it back a couple inches too.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/comm...=629&CRPCGNBR=629&CI=1,225,497,629&TextMode=0

The American Classic, Kalloy Uno, Easton EC70, Look Ergo using the
third space, FSA K-force regular, all have the front edge of the rail
clamp about even with the back of the seatpost. This is the most
setback you get with normal looking posts.

Posts such as the Campagnolo, Dura Ace, Salsa Shaft, Ritchey, etc. put
the front edge of the rail clamp about in the middle of the post.

The AC has 15mm of setback. Other posts have a lot more, Campy 25mm,
FSA up to 35mm, Easton 25m, Titec up to 38mm. Check out this page that
lists the setbacks of many, but not all, seatposts:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=catalog&Category=185&type=T

But keep in mind that the AC has micro-adjust. Some of the posts with
more setback may have notch adjustment which may or may not be ok for
adjusting the tilt of your saddle.

Bob

[email protected] wrote:
> The AC has 15mm of setback. Other posts have a lot more, Campy 25mm,
> FSA up to 35mm, Easton 25m, Titec up to 38mm. Check out this page that
> lists the setbacks of many, but not all, seatposts:

Look at the seatposts instead of just repeating internet ad copy.
Don't be an internet bicyclist. Setback is determined by where the
front edge of the clamp can be positioned on the saddle rails. The
front edge of the American Classic lines up with the back edge of the
seatpost. The front edge of the Campagnolo clamp is in the middle of
the seatpost. What setback an ad says a seatpost has is irrelevant.

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>The AC has 15mm of setback. Other posts have a lot more, Campy 25mm,
>>FSA up to 35mm, Easton 25m, Titec up to 38mm. Check out this page that
>>lists the setbacks of many, but not all, seatposts:

> Look at the seatposts instead of just repeating internet ad copy.
> Don't be an internet bicyclist. Setback is determined by where the
> front edge of the clamp can be positioned on the saddle rails.

that seems somewhat arbitrary and not altogether useful. the width of
the clamp is as much a variable from seatpost to seatpost as is the
setback, so it makes much more sense to measure to the center of the
rail, the point about which the load is distributed, not the front edge.

jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>The AC has 15mm of setback. Other posts have a lot more, Campy 25mm,
>>>FSA up to 35mm, Easton 25m, Titec up to 38mm. Check out this page that
>>>lists the setbacks of many, but not all, seatposts:

>> Look at the seatposts instead of just repeating internet ad copy.
>> Don't be an internet bicyclist. Setback is determined by where the
>> front edge of the clamp can be positioned on the saddle rails.

>that seems somewhat arbitrary and not altogether useful. the width of
>the clamp is as much a variable from seatpost to seatpost as is the
>setback, so it makes much more sense to measure to the center of the
>rail, the point about which the load is distributed, not the front edge.

In this way, the American Classic post will measure MUCH better than
most other posts with "more" setback. This is because the upper
portion of the clamp is very, very narrow (~1cm?), allowing the saddle
rails to be moved much further back than other posts (to the point
where the non-flat portions of the saddle rails are actually above the
front portion of the lower clamp (tortured description - hope it makes
sense).

The AC design always made sense to me, since it doesn't require as
much effort to keep your saddle from floating off the top of your bike
as it does from being smooshed downward by your butt. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Per [email protected]:
> Other posts have a lot more, Campy 25mm,
>FSA up to 35mm, Easton 25m, Titec up to 38mm.

Titec's HellBent has the most setback I've ever seen. Looks tb about two
inches.
--
PeteCresswell