Securing the pinch bolt

freelancer84

Aug 28, 2009
Hi, so I purchased my bike a few weeks ago and I've noticed that the pinch bolt keeps loosening while I'm out riding. I've taken to carrying an allen key on me at all times so that I can tighten it up midway through my trips.

Does anyone know of a good way in securing the pinch bolt permanently? I can't see any reason I'll be removing the handlebars so a permanent fix would be great.

I've heard that a thread locker can work wonders, is this true? If so which is the best stuff to get?

You can use thread lock, but make sure that you get the non-permanent kind. I like the products made by Loctite. The reason that you should use the non-permanent kind is because once you use it, you will find a reason to remove your handlebars. If you cannot find a good thread lock, you can use Super Glue. It works just as well as non-permanent Loctite.

Something isn't right here. Since pinch bolts and stems are critical to your steering, I'd suggest taking the bike to a mechanic for a look. My guess is that the threads in your stem are worn, or you've got the wrong bolt (ie, too short, worn or wrong threads). Glue might hold it, but believe the best fix may require some new hardware.

i suggest Kdelong use super glue on his keyboard so as to prevent his future posting here.

freelancer84 said:
Hi, so I purchased my bike a few weeks ago and I've noticed that the pinch bolt keeps loosening while I'm out riding. I've taken to carrying an allen key on me at all times so that I can tighten it up midway through my trips.

Does anyone know of a good way in securing the pinch bolt permanently? I can't see any reason I'll be removing the handlebars so a permanent fix would be great.

I've heard that a thread locker can work wonders, is this true? If so which is the best stuff to get?

Something is not right. The bolts on the stem that hold your handlebar tight should not come loose unless you have the hidden bolt/wedge Cinelli 1R, which slipped all the time. Handlebars too small for stem, something striped, something is not right, unless again, you have the Cinelli stem.

Cinelli stem here.

Vintage Cinelli 1R Stem, 95mm, shell only, no bar clamp - eBay (item 200376862333 end time Aug-31-09 15:19:22 PDT)