Selecting a Single Speed

Mailmover

Guest
I am currently looking to buy a Single Speed Roadie, with flip flop
hub. I will be using it mainly to commute to and from work (stop and
go traffic) and a training tool during the "off" season and a back up
for when I have my Orbea in the shop. Prince range $800 to $1200.

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:47:32 +0000, Mailmover wrote:

> I am currently looking to buy a Single Speed Roadie, with flip flop
> hub. I will be using it mainly to commute to and from work (stop and
> go traffic) and a training tool during the "off" season and a back up
> for when I have my Orbea in the shop. Prince range $800 to $1200.

The cheap & classic suggestion: find an older road frame with horizontal
dropouts and convert that. 10-speeds from the '70s are a good bet here,
since the rear spacing will be 120mm and thus perfect for your new track
hub.

Otherwise, there are any number of options: Kona Paddy Wagon, NYCBikes
CityFixed, Surly Steamroller Jamis Sputnik--and those are just the ones
available to me here locally.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Mailmover wrote:
> I am currently looking to buy a Single Speed Roadie, with flip flop
> hub. I will be using it mainly to commute to and from work (stop and
> go traffic) and a training tool during the "off" season and a back up
> for when I have my Orbea in the shop. Prince range $800 to $1200.

The new Specialized Langsters seem pretty hot. The Seattle model has
fenders if you'll be commuting in that type of weather.

740 bucks tops:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32829
(the link may ask for your region and preferred language before
redirecting you to the page)

Bianchi also has some great SS bikes in production right now.

HTH,
\\paul

On Jul 22, 5:47 pm, Mailmover <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am currently looking to buy a Single Speed Roadie, with flip flop
> hub. I will be using it mainly to commute to and from work (stop and
> go traffic) and a training tool during the "off" season and a back up
> for when I have my Orbea in the shop. Prince range $800 to $1200.

I just turned the 2K clock on my Redline 925. It's the perfect
commuter. Strongest, most fun, and most reliable bike I've ever owned.
$500. Over 2K on the computer with no flats, no need to true the
wheels after an initial dial in. Nada. Nimble, but solid feeling due
to the 36H wheels and 30mm tires. Wanna take the wood trail shortcut?
It doesn't care. Just get one already.

You'll likely hate the M-bar. Stem raiser or replace with drops first
thing. You can lose the fenders and drop down to 25mm tires if you
really want to trim it out and make it more racy. Even rebuild the
wheels onto lighter rims with DB spokes--and you still end up cheaper
than any other alternative. Any shop that can order from QBP can get
ya one. Five bills.

If you want something racier, get a Pista and slap a brake on it. I
really wouldn't want to ride one day to day in traffic--but you might
not mind.

Mailmover wrote:
> I am currently looking to buy a Single Speed Roadie, with flip flop
> hub. I will be using it mainly to commute to and from work (stop and
> go traffic) and a training tool during the "off" season and a back up
> for when I have my Orbea in the shop. Prince range $800 to $1200.

Check out the Schwinn Madison.

On Jul 22, 3:47 pm, Mailmover <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am currently looking to buy a Single Speed Roadie, with flip flop
> hub. I will be using it mainly to commute to and from work (stop and
> go traffic) and a training tool during the "off" season and a back up
> for when I have my Orbea in the shop. Prince range $800 to $1200.

Thank you for the input! I will keep those choices in mind when
checking out the LBS's in my area.