Serious bike w/ upright position

Hi All,

Various folks have expressed interest in serious bikes with upright
positions and there have been suggestions of different types of stem
extensions and other kludges.

Anyone who wants a serious bike for commuting or similar use who wants
an upright position (particularly tall folks) should have alook at a
Pedersen bike from Denmark. I've seen them around, but today I
actually got to try one. Quite something.

Here's a pic (not me!):

http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/images/ped01a.jpg

Super quality, long stable wheelbase, comfort, and upright position
even for tall people.

Not cheap, though.

Joseph

On Apr 1, 2:18 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Various folks have expressed interest in serious bikes with upright
> positions and there have been suggestions of different types of stem
> extensions and other kludges.
>
> Anyone who wants a serious bike for commuting or similar use who wants
> an upright position (particularly tall folks) should have alook at a
> Pedersen bike from Denmark. I've seen them around, but today I
> actually got to try one. Quite something.
>
> Here's a pic (not me!):
>
> http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/images/ped01a.jpg
>
> Super quality, long stable wheelbase, comfort, and upright position
> even for tall people.
>
> Not cheap, though.

Cheap is relative. I've seen them starting at $1200-1500 for a basic
model in black with a Nexus 7. For a hand built bit of transportation,
that's not a lot of cabbage. The Electra Townie series offer a similar
upright position, but they require a bit of dialing before I'd
consider them "serious". Not terribly fun for long climbs, either one.

On Apr 1, 9:47 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2:18 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > Various folks have expressed interest in serious bikes with upright
> > positions and there have been suggestions of different types of stem
> > extensions and other kludges.

> > Anyone who wants a serious bike for commuting or similar use who wants
> > an upright position (particularly tall folks) should have alook at a
> > Pedersen bike from Denmark. I've seen them around, but today I
> > actually got to try one. Quite something.

> > Here's a pic (not me!):

> >http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/images/ped01a.jpg

> > Super quality, long stable wheelbase, comfort, and upright position
> > even for tall people.

> > Not cheap, though.

> Cheap is relative. I've seen them starting at $1200-1500 for a basic
> model in black with a Nexus 7. For a hand built bit of transportation,
> that's not a lot of cabbage. The Electra Townie series offer a similar
> upright position, but they require a bit of dialing before I'd
> consider them "serious". Not terribly fun for long climbs, either one.

Denmark isn't exactly know for it's climbs! I was there last week and
out riding and went up a slight rise, and at the top was a commanding
view of miles seas on almost all sides and a sign noting the this to
be the highest point in the area and the altitude: 88m.

Joseph

On Apr 1, 3:34 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 9:47 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 1, 2:18 pm, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi All,

> > > Various folks have expressed interest in serious bikes with upright
> > > positions and there have been suggestions of different types of stem
> > > extensions and other kludges.

> > > Anyone who wants a serious bike for commuting or similar use who wants
> > > an upright position (particularly tall folks) should have alook at a
> > > Pedersen bike from Denmark. I've seen them around, but today I
> > > actually got to try one. Quite something.

> > > Here's a pic (not me!):

> > >http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/images/ped01a.jpg

> > > Super quality, long stable wheelbase, comfort, and upright position
> > > even for tall people.

> > > Not cheap, though.

> > Cheap is relative. I've seen them starting at $1200-1500 for a basic
> > model in black with a Nexus 7. For a hand built bit of transportation,
> > that's not a lot of cabbage. The Electra Townie series offer a similar
> > upright position, but they require a bit of dialing before I'd
> > consider them "serious". Not terribly fun for long climbs, either one.

> Denmark isn't exactly know for it's climbs! I was there last week and
> out riding and went up a slight rise, and at the top was a commanding
> view of miles seas on almost all sides and a sign noting the this to
> be the highest point in the area and the altitude: 88m.

Don't forget the oxygen cylinders and crampons!:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Møllehøj

On Apr 1, 11:09 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 3:34 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 1, 9:47 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Cheap is relative. I've seen them starting at $1200-1500 for a basic
> > > model in black with a Nexus 7. For a hand built bit of transportation,
> > > that's not a lot of cabbage. The Electra Townie series offer a similar
> > > upright position, but they require a bit of dialing before I'd
> > > consider them "serious". Not terribly fun for long climbs, either one.

> > Denmark isn't exactly know for it's climbs! I was there last week and
> > out riding and went up a slight rise, and at the top was a commanding
> > view of miles seas on almost all sides and a sign noting the this to
> > be the highest point in the area and the altitude: 88m.

> Don't forget the oxygen cylinders and crampons!:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Møllehøj

I was up north so I didn't need to test my resistance to altitude
sickness.

This is the hill I was talking about:

http://www.climbs.dk/tornby_bjerg.htm

It claims an altitude of 83m which may well be what the sign said. It
was snowing and I was moving right along so the 83 looked like 88 to
me.

I also hit this one:

http://www.climbs.dk/hellehoj_bakke.htm

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Various folks have expressed interest in serious bikes with upright
> positions and there have been suggestions of different types of stem
> extensions and other kludges.
>
> Anyone who wants a serious bike for commuting or similar use who wants
> an upright position (particularly tall folks) should have alook at a
> Pedersen bike from Denmark. I've seen them around, but today I
> actually got to try one. Quite something.
>
> Here's a pic (not me!):
>
> http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/images/ped01a.jpg
>
> Super quality, long stable wheelbase, comfort, and upright position
> even for tall people.
>
> Not cheap, though.
>
> Joseph

The Pedersen is a recreation of an ergonomic design by a blacksmith.
The thing works. I love that long leather sling saddle. When I tried
one, I found it rode graciously: a bike for gliding along on rather
than dashing around. I don't think the price is excessive, considering
the work involved in building it, custom parts, the distinguished
pedigree. However, all those small pipes add up to substantial weight
-- and Denmark, where the Pedersen originates, is a country so flat
that people make pilgrimage to the highest spot in the country, 88
metres, which is still lower than a hill I ride over every time I take
my bike out.

But if you want something different that is also practical and
pleasing, a Pedersen's pedigree puts it high on the list of bikes
worth considering. It's a bike with enduring style.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html

start-> ****....o.k......

On Apr 1, 7:14 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 1, 4:23 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 1, 11:09 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Don't forget the oxygen cylinders and crampons!:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Møllehøj

> > I was up north so I didn't need to test my resistance to altitude
> > sickness.

> > This is the hill I was talking about:

> >http://www.climbs.dk/tornby_bjerg.htm

> > It claims an altitude of 83m which may well be what the sign said. It
> > was snowing and I was moving right along so the 83 looked like 88 to
> > me.

> > I also hit this one:

> >http://www.climbs.dk/hellehoj_bakke.htm

> > Joseph- Hide quoted text -

> start-> ****....o.k......

Bergman's films always end with a ****!

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:34:33 -0700 (PDT),
"[email protected]" <[email protected]> may have
said:

>Denmark isn't exactly know for it's climbs! I was there last week and
>out riding and went up a slight rise, and at the top was a commanding
>view of miles seas on almost all sides and a sign noting the this to
>be the highest point in the area and the altitude: 88m.

Nosebleed territory by comparison to where I grew up. Within 100
miles, the highest natural elevation was less than 40 feet above sea
level. Within 20 miles, it was 16 feet.

That's one of the many things about Miami which I do not miss.

On Apr 2, 8:18 am, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:34:33 -0700 (PDT),
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> may have
> said:
>
> >Denmark isn't exactly know for it's climbs! I was there last week and
> >out riding and went up a slight rise, and at the top was a commanding
> >view of miles seas on almost all sides and a sign noting the this to
> >be the highest point in the area and the altitude: 88m.

> Nosebleed territory by comparison to where I grew up.  Within 100
> miles, the highest natural elevation was less than 40 feet above sea
> level.  Within 20 miles, it was 16 feet.
>
> That's one of the many things about Miami which I do not miss.
>
> --
> My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
> Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

For all the fun I am poking at it, Nordjylland (the Northern tip of
Denmark) is one of the nicest places to ride bikes I've ever been. The
terrain is gentle rolling farm-land, small forests, costal sand dunes,
and quite pleasant. There are small roads all over the place
connecting innumerable small hamlets virtually devoid of cars. The few
areas that have enough cars to even notice have seperate bike paths
(mini roads usually) that are not a chore to use. They are designed to
be also used by mopeds, which travel fast enough not to have
encouraged building in absurdities into the path.

Joseph

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 23:55:34 -0700 (PDT),
said:

>On Apr 2, 8:18 am, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:34:33 -0700 (PDT),
>> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> may have
>> said:
>>
>> >Denmark isn't exactly know for it's climbs! I was there last week and
>> >out riding and went up a slight rise, and at the top was a commanding
>> >view of miles seas on almost all sides and a sign noting the this to
>> >be the highest point in the area and the altitude: 88m.

>> Nosebleed territory by comparison to where I grew up.  Within 100
>> miles, the highest natural elevation was less than 40 feet above sea
>> level.  Within 20 miles, it was 16 feet.
>>
>> That's one of the many things about Miami which I do not miss.

>For all the fun I am poking at it, Nordjylland (the Northern tip of
>Denmark) is one of the nicest places to ride bikes I've ever been. The
>terrain is gentle rolling farm-land, small forests, costal sand dunes,
>and quite pleasant. There are small roads all over the place
>connecting innumerable small hamlets virtually devoid of cars. The few
>areas that have enough cars to even notice have seperate bike paths
>(mini roads usually) that are not a chore to use. They are designed to
>be also used by mopeds, which travel fast enough not to have
>encouraged building in absurdities into the path.

See what happens when you have a sane government? Where's the profit
in making stuff that's convenient, easy to use, safe, enjoyable, and
not subject to outrageous tolls, requirements and restrictions?
Denmark needs to get with the program, and start squandering resources
at the proper rate at the very least!

In news:b597e5be-38b2-471b-92e6-2c7485230643@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
Andre Jute <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> The Pedersen is a recreation of an ergonomic design by a blacksmith.
> The thing works. I love that long leather sling saddle. When I tried
> one, I found it rode graciously: a bike for gliding along on rather
> than dashing around. I don't think the price is excessive, considering
> the work involved in building it, custom parts, the distinguished
> pedigree. However, all those small pipes add up to substantial weight
> -- and Denmark, where the Pedersen originates, is a country so flat
> that people make pilgrimage to the highest spot in the country, 88
> metres, which is still lower than a hill I ride over every time I take
> my bike out.

Though bear in mind that when Mikael Pedersen first started to build bikes,
he was living in Dursley, Gloucstershire; a place surrounded by a veritable
cornucopia of contour lines. Well-known lunatic Drew Buck completed
Paris-Brest-Paris on an original Pedersen in 1999, though how much sleep he
managed to get en route is not known to this commentator.

--
Dave Larrington
We had that Maurits C. Escher in to do some building work once.