The zero wind tunnel option for serious cyclists

On May 13, 5:55 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> > FWIW, we've been discussing this, and another, method over on the
> > Wattage List.

> Perhaps it will be useful if you were to describe the two methods, and
> give us a summary of the consensus, if any, and remaining
> difficulties, perceived or real.

We've actually been discussing more than two field methods, though
each of the ones we've been discussing require that power and speed be
known using an on-bike power meter.

OTOH, I'm still fascinated by your method which requires nothing more
than a bike and the road on which to ride it. Perhaps it will be
useful if you were to describe what you meant by "a very high degree
of accuracy" and give us a summary of the consensus, if any, on your
method? Can you provide an example from data you've collected using
your method?

On 13 May, 14:55, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 13, 2:06 am, "Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Let me rephrase a little - the standard error and standard deviation
> > associated with the derived CdA value was quite low.

> Ah, thanks. I understand that was a one-off test but, with those data,
> how small of a difference in CdA do you think you could have detected
> reliably?
>
> > I am aware of
> > some of the "other" methods. One problem I see with them is that there
> > is no easy way of determining a confidence interval with the CdA
> > result plus the reliance on "guessing" the Crr value.

> That depends on what you're interested in. If what you want to do is
> determine which of two (or more) different aero setups has smaller CdA
> then Crr isn't an issue. That's the classic approach of coast downs,
> where you don't really care what Crr is since you're coasting down the
> same surface (presumably with the same tires and other equipment) and
> altering only your position. Although the precision of coast downs is
> poor, it's not because of reliance on "guessing" the Crr.
>
> As for the CI, that's largely an issue of sample size and some methods
> are more parsimonious with the data than others.

So how many samples do you need using the other method(s) to obtain a
CdA with 95% CI of +/- 0.01 m*m ?

On May 13, 3:05 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 13, 5:55 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > FWIW, we've been discussing this, and another, method over on the
> > > Wattage List.

> > Perhaps it will be useful if you were to describe the two methods, and
> > give us a summary of the consensus, if any, and remaining
> > difficulties, perceived or real.

> We've actually been discussing more than two field methods, though
> each of the ones we've been discussing require that power and speed be
> known using an on-bike power meter.

That's the necessity my method is intended to circumvent. The common
coastdown method takes a spot reading on some maximum speed and,
generally speaking, derives both power and Cd from there, a procedure
with considerable potential for error.

> OTOH, I'm still fascinated by your method which requires nothing more
> than a bike and the road on which to ride it. Perhaps it will be
> useful if you were to describe what you meant by "a very high degree
> of accuracy"

I certainly don't mean 2% repeatable. I mean a very high degree of
accuracy relative to the spot method, all other conditions holding. My
purpose is a useful reading to a particular cyclist on his own roads,
under his own conditions, without presuming expensive instrumentation.
I deduce that it will be more accurate than the spot reading on
coastdown method because of the internal structure of my method, which
calculates the cyclist's power by arguing that he outputs maximum
power not only at a maximum speed but on acceleration, and then takes
repeated acceleration readings and averages them, thus reducing
measurement error progressively, and also averaging uncontrolled
factors over time. Note that my formulation has an as yet undeclared
internal check by which total tractive effort must equal total
tractive resistance; this is illustrated in the graphic on p162 of my
book from which I adapted these methods (Andre Jute: Designing and
Building Special Cars, published by B T Batsford, London, 1985,
published in the States by Robert Bentley of Boston).

>and give us a summary of the consensus, if any, on your
> method?

It's a newly formulated method for cycling; by the nature of people's
attitudes to the novel, I would expect zero consensus from the stick
in the muds and growing consensus over time from those with enquiring
minds and the engineers who either have an automobile (or possibly
railway) background or are the possessors of better brains so that
they can follow the logic which, I admit, I haven't laid out as fully
as in my book. I was in fact pleasantly surprised to hear people
instantly agree that the formulae are correct and state that their
reservations are about applicability to cycling. However, in
automobiles, the consensus is 100%; these are methods proven by time,
taught to first-year mechanical engineering students, generic to every
comprehensive textbook. Special car builders write to me to express
their delight at how easy it is once the method is understood, and
expressing surprise too at how consistent the results are with
expectations and the experience of others "in the club".

>Can you provide an example from data you've collected using
> your method?

It's a new formulation for cyclists, so I have no data on cyclists
yet, and my data on automobiles by which I tested my formulations for
(uninstrumented) special cars builders was published in my book cited
above, where you can look it up.

HTH.

If you're a young fit, preferably slender, cyclist with a friend or
two to help in these tests, perhaps you should start collecting data
to see how well my method works. It is described here:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE TECH -- basic cycling parameters.html

and aspects of methodology re recording are discussed in this thread,
and Rik O'Shea also in this thread has provided a more rigorous test
protocol than I laid down -- I'm happy with a pretty casual approach
as long as casual doesn't become slack, and as long as the test
iterations mount up inexhorably.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html

On May 13, 7:18 am, "Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > As for the CI, that's largely an issue of sample size and some methods
> > are more parsimonious with the data than others.

> So how many samples do you need using the other method(s) to obtain a
> CdA with 95% CI of +/- 0.01 m*m ?

Depending on the method, .01 m^2 could be pretty big. If reasonable
protocols are followed with the right method, a few to several minutes
of samples. With A-B-A testing, one guy detected the change due to an
aero water bottle of less than that size. Another guy estimated the
change in CdA due to a 5cm x 5cm reference object (i.e., .0025 m^2)
as .003 m^2, once again validated with A-B-A test runs. That said,
I've never been able to come close to that kind of precision with my
runs but I'm a lousy experimentalist.

On May 13, 8:18 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> I certainly don't mean 2% repeatable. I mean a very high degree of
> accuracy relative to the spot method, all other conditions holding.

> It's a newly formulated method for cycling; by the nature of people's
> attitudes to the novel, I would expect zero consensus from the stick
> in the muds and growing consensus over time from those with enquiring
> minds and the engineers who either have an automobile (or possibly
> railway) background or are the possessors of better brains so that
> they can follow the logic

So what you're saying is, "very high degree of accuracy" is in
comparison to the worst of all other methods but you can't show that
with any actual data because you haven't tried this method on a
bicycle, no one you know has tried this method on a bicycle, and it's
because people don't possess better brains?

On May 14, 3:00 am, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 13, 8:18 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I certainly don't mean 2% repeatable. I mean a very high degree of
> > accuracy relative to the spot method, all other conditions holding.
> > It's a newly formulated method for cycling; by the nature of people's
> > attitudes to the novel, I would expect zero consensus from the stick
> > in the muds and growing consensus over time from those with enquiring
> > minds and the engineers who either have an automobile (or possibly
> > railway) background or are the possessors of better brains so that
> > they can follow the logic

> So what you're saying is, "very high degree of accuracy" is in
> comparison to the worst of all other methods but you can't show that
> with any actual data because you haven't tried this method on a
> bicycle, no one you know has tried this method on a bicycle, and it's
> because people don't possess better brains?

I didn't say that about anyone but if you wish to say it about
yourself you are of course right.

In article
<40d0ccd2-4b66-4fc2-acc9-a006a2ac11ea@w34g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 14, 3:00 am, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 13, 8:18 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I certainly don't mean 2% repeatable. I mean a very high degree of
> > > accuracy relative to the spot method, all other conditions holding.
> > > It's a newly formulated method for cycling; by the nature of people's
> > > attitudes to the novel, I would expect zero consensus from the stick
> > > in the muds and growing consensus over time from those with enquiring
> > > minds and the engineers who either have an automobile (or possibly
> > > railway) background or are the possessors of better brains so that
> > > they can follow the logic

> > So what you're saying is, "very high degree of accuracy" is in
> > comparison to the worst of all other methods but you can't show that
> > with any actual data because you haven't tried this method on a
> > bicycle, no one you know has tried this method on a bicycle, and it's
> > because people don't possess better brains?

> I didn't say that about anyone but if you wish to say it about
> yourself you are of course right.

Robert, this isn't very funny anymore. I think you'd better show Andre
the Indirect Estimation of CdA paper.

Andre: Robert knows what he is talking about and has done multiple tests
of his theories using real-world data.

On May 13, 9:27 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think you'd better show Andre
> the Indirect Estimation of CdA paper.

I don't really think it's relevant. That's a method that requires the
use of a power meter. Andre's claim has been that nothing but a bike
and a road is needed to get a very high degree of accuracy. When
pressed, he admits that 1) "very high degree" was only in comparison
to a terminal velocity coast down; and 2) he hasn't actually performed
his method on a bike.

In terms you might hold closer to your heart, some guy sez he's
figured out a way to make very high quality spirits without any
equipment. Then it turns out his distillation technique is to put wine
in a home freezer and periodically scoop away the ice. He hasn't
actually done it and he meant "very high quality spirits" in relation
to mixing water with sugar and putting it in an old bottle with a
cognac label.

On May 14, 7:51 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> Chung's reaction is bizarre. The right thing would have been to offer
> to test my formulation with field data, and thereby get his name on
> another method as co-author.

Andre:

You know that co-authorship credit you're offering? It's value may not
be quite so high as you imagine. Just sayin'.

On May 14, 9:14 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> I laughed so hard, I sputtered a Mas Amiel desert wine, which I drink
> chilled as an aperitif, over my keyboard. Members of my family with
> vineyards, and a co-op that makes one of the world's prized brandies,
> will be going apoplectic when they read that I laughed at a joke about
> freeze distillation, whatever it may be.

Hmmm. I have been informed that such a reaction is bizarre, and that
the right thing to do would have been to offer
to test freeze distillation with real data, and thereby get your name
on another method as co-author.