Seven day Tour de France holiday

mmamster

Jan 2, 2004
Hi All

Where on the site can I list for sale a seven day tour de france holiday package? I've looked in the classifieds area but there is no corresponding category. Is it against the rules to list it in a forum?

BTW I can no longer use it and can't trade it with the travel agent because it was bought at a charity auction.

Cheers
mmamster

mmamster said:
Hi All

Where on the site can I list for sale a seven day tour de france holiday package? I've looked in the classifieds area but there is no corresponding category. Is it against the rules to list it in a forum?

BTW I can no longer use it and can't trade it with the travel agent because it was bought at a charity auction.

Cheers
mmamster

Hi all

Well since no one has said I can't post an ad of sorts, here goes:

I have a Tour de France cycling package from Cousins Travel, that I bought at a charity auction, to sell. I can no longer use it.

It is a seven day trip with seven nights accomodation in Pau, which is the town at the entrance to the pyrennes and usually used as a base for cycling there.

The tour includes accomodation in a hotel in Pau for seven nights, guiding, bike service and road support service during the Pyrennes week of this year's tour, including 3 days watching at the tour and a lot of riding in the Pyrennean passes that are used by the Tour. It includes Col d 'Tourmalet for example!

It does not include airfares or transfers to and from Pau.

I have set out the itinerary received from Cousins Travel at the foot of this post.

It is valued at Australian Dollars (AUD) $4000, and I would like to sell it at the price I paid at the auction, which was AUD $1900, or nearest offer.

If any one is prepared to pay more then I would donate the difference to charity.

If you are interested please contact me via email through this site or post a reply to this thread with details on how to contact you.

Regards
MMAMSTER

Itinerary

Le Tour de France mountain stages 2006- an overview by Dan Moore

The 2006 race follows an anti clockwise direction, the beautiful Pyrenees getting the first of the mountain stages in the second week of the Tour. A stage to Pau from the West coast of France see the riders take on the first of many cols in this addition of Le Tour ‘sans’ Armstrong. Many are saying the route is designed for Basso but can Ulrich, the eternal second place rack up his second win in what is the twilight of his career? Or is it time for the new breed to come through and show their colours? Popyvich, Cunego and the like are ready and primed.

Following the opening mountain stage to Pau the next days events will surely shape the race’s outcome. Passing over the mighty Col du Tourmalet and several other classic Pyreneean climbs before a finish over the border in Spain, this has all the trappings of a huge day out for the colourful and slightly mad Basque supporters. Not having the greatest luck in the 2005 Tour, maybe Iban Mayo, climber extraordinaire, can make this his day?

After the standard couple of transfer days of hot heavy roads in the south of the country and long breakaways, the Peleton will be dreading the last week of the tour in the Alps. Perhaps the overall winner would have made his stamp already by this point, but getting to Paris is going to be about being the strongest over these hard 3 days in the mountains. Starting with the harder South ascent of the Col d’Izoard the race makes its way to the famed Alpe’d’’Huez for the final showdown on this great climb on the first of the big 3 days. A steep and uneven gradient makes this road to the ski station one of the most feared in Cycling.

After a rest and feed the riders take to the road the next day up and over the highest point on the race, the Col du Galibier. Not content on giving any easy options, the organisers seem hell bent on making this one of the hardest three days of racing the Tour has seen for many years. With the Col de la Croix de Fer and the final climb to the previously unused La Toussuire this will be where the race is won or lost.

The following day sees another onslaught of passes before the race leaves the hills for the flat en route to Paris. 5 cols and 200 kilometres are going to leave some of the riders behind on this day, the final breaking point for many. Those who survive until now, crashes aside will be on track for a Paris finish.

Pyrenees 7 July – 14 July

With a laid back approach to the week, the Pyrenees lend themselves to relaxing and pure enjoyment, taking in the crisp clean air and stunning scenery. Our accommodation will be located at the base of a handful of the ‘named climbs’ that have been written into legends over the years. Merkcx , Indurain and Armstrong have all stamped their authority on these climbs, even ‘Nike’ have named a shoe after one of these quite back roads!

The week will be weighted towards riding and enjoyment for the first 5 days and ‘Tour chasing’ on the last two days, giving guests time to warm up before the big action of the race arrives.

Using previous hotels we will be welcome back by our super friendly host Phillipe. Garages for the bikes, and the centre of town only a 2 minute walk away, this week really allows the guests time to take in these amazing surroundings. The pretty little spa town offers all the usual distractions of a French village. Squares with bars on every corner, afternoon markets, and the amazing backdrop of 2500 metre peaks, gradually fading to dusk on the long summer evenings.

Cousins Tours and Travel aim to give guests a memorable week in this great area, riding everyday and seeing the race on 2-3 occasions (depending on road closures).

Riding ability on this trip is recommended to an intermediate level, but as with all our tours, no one is left behind and the relaxed environment allows cyclists with a wide range of abilities and fitness to come along. The rides aim to take in one climb per day, but for those who would like to do more or less, or nothing at all, every option is catered for. With guides and vans, the trip is flexible enough to change due to bad weather, or majority opinion.

Our experience with previous trips allows us to foresee just about every eventuality and the guest’s enjoyment and safety is our number 1 priority.

The riding will consist of the following climbs:

• Col du Toumalet
• Col d’Aspin
• Hautacam
• Luz Ardiden
• Col du Soulor
• Col d’Aubisque
• Col de Peyresourde
• Col du Portillion
• Gavarnie
• Col de Marie blanc

Experienced guides, back up vans and full maps will be provided on all rides (where road closures allow for back up vans)

The Pyrenees week will start on the 7th of July with a pick up of guests at Lourdes station. The week will end with on the 15th of July with a drop off of guests at choice of stations along the Garonne river valley towards Toulouse. Pre and post trip travel arrangements can be handled and arranged by Cousins Travel to make your transition run more smoothly