Shimano Alivio Quickshift - Visual indicator working backwards

Slark

Guest
Is there something I have missed here - my son's bike has alivio quick
shift levers which seem to indicate (via the visual High-Low indicator)
the wrong way round - i.e. when moving from low to high the indicator
shows the precise opposite...

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

In article <[email protected]>, Slark
[email protected]lid says...
> Is there something I have missed here - my son's bike has alivio quick
> shift levers which seem to indicate (via the visual High-Low indicator)
> the wrong way round - i.e. when moving from low to high the indicator
> shows the precise opposite...

Grey import intended for the Australian market?

After serious thinking Slark wrote :
> Is there something I have missed here - my son's bike has alivio quick shift
> levers which seem to indicate (via the visual High-Low indicator) the wrong
> way round - i.e. when moving from low to high the indicator shows the precise
> opposite...

Have you got an incompatible rear mech? Shimano Rapid Rise mechs work
the opposite way around to conventional derailleurs. It's been a few
years since I was in the trade, and I can't comment on current models
of the top of my head, but if you get the code from the mech (RD-?????)
it will be simple to confirm. Get the lever's code (ST?????) at the
same time.

--
Simon

Simon D wrote:
> After serious thinking Slark wrote :
>> Is there something I have missed here - my son's bike has alivio quick
>> shift levers which seem to indicate (via the visual High-Low
>> indicator) the wrong way round - i.e. when moving from low to high the
>> indicator shows the precise opposite...

> Have you got an incompatible rear mech? Shimano Rapid Rise mechs work
> the opposite way around to conventional derailleurs. It's been a few
> years since I was in the trade, and I can't comment on current models of
> the top of my head, but if you get the code from the mech (RD-?????) it
> will be simple to confirm. Get the lever's code (ST?????) at the same time.

Yep, that's it - it's got a Rapid Rise rear mech... Looks like
Grandfather has made some changes.... Seems to function okay though so I
guess it's fine.

Thanks
Graham

--

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Slark
> [email protected]lid says...
>> Is there something I have missed here - my son's bike has alivio quick
>> shift levers which seem to indicate (via the visual High-Low indicator)
>> the wrong way round - i.e. when moving from low to high the indicator
>> shows the precise opposite...
>>

> Grey import intended for the Australian market?

Good point, well made - I'll check to see if it goes better up hills.

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

Slark formulated the question :

> Yep, that's it - it's got a Rapid Rise rear mech... Looks like Grandfather
> has made some changes.... Seems to function okay though so I guess it's fine.

Yes, it will work perfectly well, as long as your son can cope with the
back-to-frontedness of things!

--
Simon