UK and Europe · Public discussion

Shimano CS-HG70-9 Cassette

Started by Jimbob · · Last activity · 8 posts · 3,783 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
30 January 2003
Last activity
30 January 2003
Original author
Jimbob
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,783
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms
    of fitting?

  2. JimBob said:

    Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms of
    fitting?

    Should be. The LX mech is rated 34T. Just check that the overall capacity is not exceeded (and then
    forget about it because you never run big-small or small-big anyway)

    --
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

    highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml

  3. JimBob said:

    Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms of
    fitting?


    Yes - did exactly that swap not that long ago (and after a ride in a howling gale yesterday, I'm
    very glad I did). Just make sure your rear mech will cope with the large sprocket. I'm using an XT
    rear mech, but any long-cage derailleur should work.

    Simon
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
    the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."
    - perl.comhohoho.html

  4. "JimBob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms of
    fitting?

    I was looking into cassette hubs recently. If your hub body is of a recent type, called Hyperglide
    C, then you can replace the cassette directly. If it isn't, you need to put a thin spacer on the hub
    to allow the 11 tooth sprocket to clear the end of the splines.

    sheldonbrown.comk7.html explains the different types of hub bodies.

    Other people have mentioned your derailleur. I didn't see you mention what type you have, but the
    cage length doesn't determine the largest sprocket you can use. Mountain bike derailleurs have more
    slope in the parallelogram than road bike derailleurs, allowing the cage to clear a larger sprocket.
    The length of the cage determines the amount of chain slack the derailleur can take up. You will
    probably need to use a mountain bike derailleur with a 32 tooth sprocket, and you must make sure
    your chain is long enough.

    Colin

  5. "JimBob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms of
    fitting?

    Sorry forgot to mention - I am using 105 throughout. The rear derailleur is 5500 GS (for a triple)
    with capacity of 37T.

    The largest sprocket quoted is 27T - is this non-negotiable?

    Cheers

  6. Colin said:

    I was looking into cassette hubs recently. If your hub body is of a recent type, called Hyperglide
    C, then you can replace the cassette directly. If it isn't, you need to put a thin spacer on the
    hub to allow the 11 tooth sprocket to clear the end of the splines.

    I thnk my 11-32 cassette came with the spacer included, but ICBW. I'll check when I get a minute.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

    highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml

  7. JimBob said:

    Sorry forgot to mention - I am using 105 throughout. The rear derailleur is 5500 GS (for a triple)
    with capacity of 37T.

    The largest sprocket quoted is 27T - is this non-negotiable?

    You may get a little more by screwing in the b-screw lots. It depends a bit on your dropout layout
    and the phase of the moon.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    home.in.tum.deoe quotefix

  8. "JimBob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry forgot to mention - I am using 105 throughout. The rear derailleur is 5500 GS (for a triple)
    with capacity of 37T.

    The largest sprocket quoted is 27T - is this non-negotiable?

    I think 32 might be too much. However if you have 105 cranks I think it's unlikely you'll need an 11
    tooth sprocket. Maybe you could use a 12-27 cassette and replace the smallest chainring with a 26,
    which gives you nearly the same low gear?

    Colin

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.