Shimano Flightdeck computer and Ciclosport CP23 HRM

User

Guest
I am interested in the views of anyone who has used either a Shimano Flightdeck computer or a
Ciclosport CP23 HRM.

Does the virtual cadence of the flightdeck work well ?

Is the Ciclosport CP23 worth nearly double an entry level HRM ?

Any comments much appreciated
--
Dave

> I am interested in the views of anyone who has used either a Shimano Flightdeck computer or a
> Ciclosport CP23 HRM.
>
> Does the virtual cadence of the flightdeck work well ?

Obviously it reports a cadence regardless of whether the cranks are turning and so as long as you
only take regard of the cadence figure when you are pushing the pedals it is okay. It can give some
interesting numbers out when freewheeling down big hills!

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

>> I am interested in the views of anyone who has used either a Shimano Flightdeck computer or a
>> Ciclosport CP23 HRM.
>>
>> Does the virtual cadence of the flightdeck work well ?
>
> Obviously it reports a cadence regardless of whether the cranks are turning and so as long as you
> only take regard of the cadence figure when you are pushing the pedals it is okay. It can give
> some interesting numbers out when freewheeling down big hills!

That's vaguely useful actually. Lets you select a more appropriate gear before starting to
pedal again.

And it's certainly never a problem, because you don't need a computer to tell you that you're not
pedalling :)

Andy

User wrote:
> I am interested in the views of anyone who has used either a Shimano Flightdeck computer or a
> Ciclosport CP23 HRM.
>
> Does the virtual cadence of the flightdeck work well ?
>
> Is the Ciclosport CP23 worth nearly double an entry level HRM ?
>
> Any comments much appreciated

I have the flightdeck. Cadence seems to work very well, but I've not compared it to a 'real' cadence
sensor. I can't see any reason it wouldn't be good enough, so long as it's accurately sensing which
gear you're in (and mine is).

Velvet

I find the gear display of the Flightdeck one of its more useful features,plus I didnt find setting
it up much of a problem.I must agree the splitting of the two sets of information is a bit of a
bind,also there is no 'auto-start ' function ( or if there is I've never found it ).

Sam Salt

Andy Koppe wrote:
> User wrote:
>
>> I am interested in the views of anyone who has used either a Shimano Flightdeck computer or a
>> Ciclosport CP23 HRM.
>
> I got the Flightdeck a couple of months ago because I liked the idea of integrating shifters and
> computer like that.
>
> Installing it took a bit of guesswork (the manual could do with more detail) and lots of patience
> (there are enough chances to break or lose things).
>

>> Does the virtual cadence of the flightdeck work well ?
>
> It does for me so far. Also, having the buttons on the handlebars is rather nice. The gear display
> is more of a toy of course.
>
> Rather annoying is the division of the computer's functions in two groups, between which one
> switches by holding the mode button for something like three seconds. It's made worse by the fact
> that the two most important functions, i.e. RPMs and distance, are in different groups.
>
> Andy

---

Sam Salt wrote:

> I find the gear display of the Flightdeck one of its more useful features,

I should have said, I attached it to the Deore shifters of my ATB, which already had mechanical gear
indicators. It's nice to get all the information at a glance, but I presume it makes more of a
difference on a road bike.

> plus I didnt find setting it up much of a problem.

Might depend on the type of shifters as well. Surely got nothing to do with skill. :)

> I must agree the splitting of the two sets of information is a bit of a bind

Yep, at least they could have split the functions more sensibly, e.g. put RPM, DST, TIM, and CLK in
the first group and the rest in the second.

> also there is no 'auto-start ' function ( or if there is I've never found it ).

Yep. Do think as well as well that the mph display is rather slow to pick up when accelerating from
standstill?

Don't get me wrong though, in spite of these ****les the FlightDeck is still a very clever
piece of kit.

Andy