shimano vs campagnolo

MSA wrote:

> John B <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Pete Biggs wrote:

> > > Down tube lever. Supposedly to save weight (left lever is gutted and
> the
> > > shorter cable saves a few grams as well), but there's also the advantage of being able to
> > > properly trim the front mech.
> > >

> > Bet its a campag lever ;-)
> >
> > John B
> >

> The right one probably is too, he's just super glued some ugly cables on it a la ShimaNO!

LOL Its amazing what some will do to boost their bank balance.

John B

> >> He only uses the right-hand STI. The left one's not good enough for him!
> >
> > So what does he do for the left?
>
> Down tube lever. Supposedly to save weight (left lever is gutted and the shorter cable saves a few
> grams as well), but there's also the advantage of being able to properly trim the front mech.

I suppose at that level each gram does cost 100s or 1000s of quid to remove, but even so
(mumblmumbl).

I noticed he wears a gold cross. not only is this a few excess grams to get up the ventoux, but it
waves from side to side making him lose many extra joules.

He wins a lot though doesn't he !

In my opinion Campag snobbery is such a load or pompous people saying how much 'cleverer' they are
than the pleb type masses. Italian engineering is shite.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > So what does he do for the left?
> >
> > Down tube lever. Supposedly to save weight (left lever is gutted and
the
> > shorter cable saves a few grams as well), but there's also the advantage of being able to
> > properly trim the front mech.
>
> I suppose at that level each gram does cost 100s or 1000s of quid to
remove,
> but even so (mumblmumbl).
>
> I noticed he wears a gold cross. not only is this a few excess grams to
get
> up the ventoux, but it waves from side to side making him lose many extra joules.

i just got a airborne with full centaur and was wondering...
is centaur the same as ultegra?

can anyone give like a chart type thing of how record is with dura ace and ultegra with centaur..
and 105 with etc.....
thanks!

Originally posted by izzodesh
i just got a airborne with full centaur and was wondering...
is centaur the same as ultegra?

can anyone give like a chart type thing of how record is with dura ace and ultegra with centaur..
and 105 with etc.....
thanks!

It's not really possible to compare. They both do the job well but are different. Campag groupsets go Xenon, Mirage, Veloce, Centaur, Chorus and Record. That's six. Shimano go Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace. Campag fans claim that Xenon is equivalent to Sora, making Chorus equivalet to Dura Ace and Record better than anything Shimno make. Shimano fans count the other way. So Record is eqivalent to Dura Ace and Mirage equivalent to Sora. Making Xenon worse than any Shimano group.

The truth no doubt lies somewhere in the middle although I tend to side with the Xenon = Sora group. Record is functionally not much better than Chorus but you get some carbon fibre bits (Ergo levers, plates on the rear mech, seatpost) that make the extra cost worth while :)

Cheers,

Andy

Shimano on the hack and Record on the nice bike.