Shimano WH-7801SL Scandium Tubeless wheels

encomium

Dec 23, 2006
just picked up a set of these and was wondering if anyone else has (had) them and your opinions...I have to say they are very understated and elegant looking and i can't wait to put them on my bike!

encomium said:
just picked up a set of these and was wondering if anyone else has (had) them and your opinions...I have to say they are very understated and elegant looking and i can't wait to put them on my bike!
They look good, but the performance is even better. In my tests, they come out on top by a large margin over over similarly priced wheels and are probably the best low profile wheel you can get. Shimano did a great job on this one. The only thing that can't be directly tested for is the durability of the wheels. Make sure you report back any problems! :)

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com

ScienceIsCool said:
They look good, but the performance is even better. In my tests, they come out on top by a large margin over over similarly priced wheels and are probably the best low profile wheel you can get. Shimano did a great job on this one. The only thing that can't be directly tested for is the durability of the wheels. Make sure you report back any problems! :)

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com
John, your report is one of the reasons why i went for them. I actually wanted something with a little more bling but these cam up at a great price and seeing as how they performed so well in your test, i thought i'd give them a go.

anyway, i was also reading that you have a set of fulcrums yourself? how are those? the fulcrum 1 or zeros were the other wheels i was considering.

well, i've finally gotten round to having a go on these wheels and they are fantastic! very stiff, unbelievable for climbing and smooth down hills.

i'm not that experienced, and telling the difference between wheels is not something i would have thought to be easy, but last weekend i rode in the British Cyclosportive, 120 mile route replicating this year's tdf stage 1, and these wheels kept me going......first time ever doing that kind of distance and took me approximately 8hrs.

love them....only flaw, not that bling :eek:

ScienceIsCool said:

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com
I decided to pick up a set of these wheels based on 2 things: your report as well as reading a couple articles on the wheelset & the fusion 2 tubeless tires. I had a set of Ksyrium ES's and wasn't overly impressed based on the price.

I have put about 300 miles on the 7801s so far and I am definitely impressed. They are extremely impressive on the flats and downhills as they roll forever. I don't really notice much difference in comparison to the ES's on the hill climbs for better or for worse. The hubs are awesome and the wheelset is definitely stiff enough to compete with the ES's.

The one thing that has impressed me the most is the Fusion 2 tubeless technology. The cornering ability is awesome! The tires also do a great job of soaking up minor but consistent road undulations. I was really impressed with how easy they were to put on and hold air instantly on the first one or two tries.

Overall I think they were a great deal for $700 delivered to my doorstep. I consider that a much better deal than the $850 plus tax I paid on the Ksyrium ES's.

It will be interesting to see the overall reliability of them as I am a 195 lb rider.