Shimano10 cranks with Campy10 drivetrain?

rsb712

Mar 29, 2011
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum, so bear with me. I would like to run a SRM power meter that uses Shimano10 cranks/rings with a Campy10 drivetrain. I figure this must be the easiest Shimano/Campy compatibility issue and I don't see why it wouldn't work. Any ideas/input? Thanks.

It's been done. When the outboard BB first came out there was a spate of former Campagnolo purists sullying their groupos with Shimano cranks.... :)

It's already common to see FSA, Rotor, Cannondale, Bontrager etc cranks in use with Campagnolo (or other) groupos. A friend of mine currently uses a SRAM crank with Quarq power meter and FSA rings with his Record 11s.

I thought it'd work. But now I'm interested in the Campy11 set up; I didn't think the 11chain would ride on anything else but if it works with FSA then I'd like to to know about it. Am also wondering if anyone else is producing 11speed compatible rings in 130 bcd......

The 11 s chain will run on a lot of 10s chainrings. A couple of companies (FSA included) make 130BCD 11s rings. However, Quarq recommend using the 10s FSA rings over the 11s specific items because they provide more even calibration on the power meter between the small and big ring.

There are also those who have done the cheap 11s upgrade by buying only 11s chain, cassette and levers and leaving the remaining parts as 10s. Others have even made modified 11s ratchets to fit the pre 2009 10s levers so they only have to get a new chain and cassette. Once I have finally worn out my stock of 10s chains and cassettes, I will probably do one of these too.

Search around online and you can find quite a lot of useful stuff. You just have to bear in mind that, when pursuing "non-standard" set-ups that you are up for a certain level of experimentation and it can lead to adverse results (eg: less than ideal shifting). This is up to the individual user to determine and rectify for themselves.