Shirts required

Harold Buck

Guest
I was kind of surprised to discover that shirts were required for the Marathon at Ironman Wisconsin.
I was going to wear one anyway, but does anyone know the rationale behind this rule? Is it a "Women
have to wear shirts, so men do too" kind of thing?

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

I believe the reason always given is that it has to do with the TV deals.

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was kind of surprised to discover that shirts were required for the Marathon at Ironman
> Wisconsin. I was going to wear one anyway, but does anyone know the rationale behind this rule? Is
> it a "Women have to wear shirts, so men do too" kind of thing?
>
> --Harold Buck
>

> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>
> - Homer J. Simpson

Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was kind of surprised to discover that shirts were required for the Marathon at Ironman
>Wisconsin. I was going to wear one anyway, but does anyone know the rationale behind this rule? Is
>it a "Women have to wear shirts, so men do too" kind of thing?

Who knows? But one thing is clear, unlike the reflective dot thing, they DO enforce this rule.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Mike Tennent wrote:

> Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I was kind of surprised to discover that shirts were required for the Marathon at Ironman
>>Wisconsin. I was going to wear one anyway, but does anyone know the rationale behind this rule? Is
>>it a "Women have to wear shirts, so men do too" kind of thing?

The law allows women in Vancouver, to go shirtless (that's right, bare breasts), yet the tri's
require both men and women to cover their "torso's".

it probably has to do with the amount of media attention coming in on ironmans. swimmers can go bare torso though

It's required in Kona as well. Possibly WTC wide. Maybe its to keep you from getting sunburn.

Ray

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was kind of surprised to discover that shirts were required for the Marathon at Ironman
> Wisconsin. I was going to wear one anyway, but does anyone know the rationale behind this rule? Is
> it a "Women have to wear shirts, so men do too" kind of thing?
>
> --Harold Buck
>

> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>
> - Homer J. Simpson

In Switzerland you have always to wear a shirt for the bike and run part of triathlons. But I don't
know the reason. Sunburn could be one reason.

Felix http://home.tiscalinet.ch/weilenmann/Sport

Ray Plotecia wrote:

> It's required in Kona as well. Possibly WTC wide. Maybe its to keep you from getting sunburn.
>
> Ray
>

> "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>I was kind of surprised to discover that shirts were required for the Marathon at Ironman
>>Wisconsin. I was going to wear one anyway, but does anyone know the rationale behind this rule? Is
>>it a "Women have to wear shirts, so men do too" kind of thing?
>>
>>--Harold Buck

One of my favorites was the Aug 98 xtri picture of the month -- A full moon shot of a male pro
changing after the swim at IM Switzerland. Rock on.

Jim B.

news:[email protected]...