shopping cart bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Hull

Hey guys, I'm going to somehow mount a shopping cart over the back wheel of my bicycle. It may work
and it may not work but either way im doing it. Is this possible or anyone have tips? thanks

"John Hull" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAF310DC.DACB%[email protected]...
> Hey guys, I'm going to somehow mount a shopping cart over the back wheel
of
> my bicycle. It may work and it may not work but either way im doing it. Is this possible or anyone
> have tips? thanks

Shopping cart wheel casters are seldom stable at bicycle speeds. Hell, they wiggle at
grocery-shopping speeds! I'd look into that.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "John Hull" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAF310DC.DACB%[email protected]...
> > Hey guys, I'm going to somehow mount a shopping cart over the back wheel
> of
> > my bicycle. It may work and it may not work but either way im doing it.
Is
> > this possible or anyone have tips? thanks
>
> Shopping cart wheel casters are seldom stable at bicycle speeds. Hell,
they
> wiggle at grocery-shopping speeds! I'd look into that.

He said over the back wheel.

OP, I would not use a shopping cart. Instead, mounting a small car or a barge would be more
feasible. You'll be able to carry a lot more and could use either gasoline power or the force of a
river current should you get tired from towing around several thousand pounds or tons.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>Hey guys, I'm going to somehow mount a shopping cart over the back wheel
>>of my bicycle. It may work and it may not work but either way im doing it.

> OP, I would not use a shopping cart. Instead, mounting a small car or a barge would be more
> feasible. You'll be able to carry a lot more and could use either gasoline power or the force of a
> river current should you get tired from towing around several thousand pounds or tons.

I mounted an old VW Beetle over the back wheel of my English 3 speed. I wouldn't recommend recent
cars--they've gotten too heavy. If you can find a European car from the 70's, that would be best.

And you should remove the front bumper...it saves a ton of grams!

Duke

John Hull <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BAF310DC.DACB%[email protected]>...
> Hey guys, I'm going to somehow mount a shopping cart over the back wheel of my bicycle. It may
> work and it may not work but either way im doing it. Is this possible or anyone have tips? thanks

Do you mean like a "Trailer-On" - http://www.velotique.com/bag.htm ?

If you have a rack, you can simply bungie the handle of the cart to the rack, too. This works okay
with 2 wheeled carts (or at least, carts with only 2 wheels on the ground.) Don't overload the cart
in any case.

Over the rear wheel? You're not reffering to a full sized shopping cart, are you? It would be WAY to
heavy. Even if you could balance it, riding would be very dangerous!

Just a hand basket would be OK (feed some straps through it and tighten it down).If it's a cart you
want, buy a trailer.

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote
> >>>Hey guys, I'm going to somehow mount a shopping cart over the back
wheel
> >>of my bicycle. It may work and it may not work but either way im doing
it.
> > OP, I would not use a shopping cart. Instead, mounting a small car or a barge would be more
> > feasible. You'll be able to carry a lot more and
could
> > use either gasoline power or the force of a river current should you get tired from towing
> > around several thousand pounds or tons.

"Duke Robillard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I mounted an old VW Beetle over the back wheel of my English 3 speed. I wouldn't recommend recent
> cars--they've gotten too heavy. If you can find a European car from the 70's, that would be best.
> And you should remove the front bumper...it saves a ton of grams!

Nothing I wrote survived this gentleman's editing except my name

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

John Hull <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm going to somehow mount a shopping cart over the back wheel of my bicycle. It may
> work and it may not work but either way im doing it. Is this possible or anyone have tips? thanks

You could have an easier time setting it up with the cart in front como los triciclos Mexicanos:
http://tinyurl.com/cwyk

Just weld on a good wide axle to carry a pair of roadworthy wheels and get rid of the cart's
existing wheels. Wheelbarrow wheels are applicable and cheap; most of them have rims with 3/4"
bearings built
in: http://trailertire.com/wheelbarrow/wheelbarrow_rib.html

You'll have to bungle up a bike frame so that the head tube is vertical or leaning slightly away
from the rider, so that the bike won't lean to the outside in turns.

Mounting a cart on the back of a bike would require major surgery to the cart and might not yield
much weight carrying capacity other than the cart itself.

Rear mounting would be better if the cart were converted to a trailer, but it would still need more
roadworthy wheels. There are a few ways to hitch a bike trailer and you should examine some closely
if you wish to pursue that option. It would be easy to damage your bike's frame with the haphazard
mounting of a trailer the size of what you propose.

Chalo Colina

On 28 May 2003 14:18:10 -0700, [email protected] (Brian Huntley) wrote:
>If you have a rack, you can simply bungie the handle of the cart to the rack, too. This works okay
>with 2 wheeled carts (or at least, carts with only 2 wheels on the ground.) Don't overload the cart
>in any case.

I use EXACTLY this setup for some inner-city errands, and I haven't had any problems with it
(although I do take the precaution of lining the inside of the wire cage to prevent small items
from falling out - riding with the open topped lined basket trailing behind increases drag
exponentially, btw).

Status
Not open for further replies.