Should Contador Have Held Back for Schleck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hpearson said:
i'm your huckleberry.
shootfirst-docok.jpg

It's "I'm HERE huckleberry". God I hate when people get that **** wrong, especially when trying to threaten some one else.

AHHHHHHHHHH!

[SIZE=+3]I'm Your Huckleberry![/SIZE]

by Lawson Stone

On and off I hear discussions in which people speculate on the exact origin and meaning is of the quaint idiom used by Doc Holliday in the movie "Tombstone." I've heard some wild suggestions, including "huckleberry" meaning "pall-bearer" suggesting "I'll bury you."
Still others think it has something to do with Mark Twain's character, Huckleberry Finn, and means "steadfast friend, pard." This is unlikely, since the book of that title was not written until 1883. Tom Sawyer was written in 1876, but nowhere there is the term "huckleberry" used to mean "steadfast friend" or the like.
Still others claim that a victor's crown or wreath of huckleberry is involved, making the statement "I'm your huckleberry" something like "I'll beat you!" But no such reference can be found in the historical materials supporting the use of this term in 19th century America. Additionally, "huckleberry" was native to North America so it's unlikely it was used in ancient Britain as a prize!
Solutions to such questions are actually very easy to find, since there are numerous dictionaries of the English language in its various periods, and there are dictionaries of English slang. These works simply cull from books, magazines, and newspapers of the period representative usages of the words to illustrate their meaning. I consulted several of these and found the expression to have a very interesting origin.
"Huckleberry" was commonly used in the 1800's in conjunction with "persimmon" as a small unit of measure. "I'm a huckleberry over your persimmon" meant "I'm just a bit better than you." As a result, "huckleberry" came to denote idiomatically two things. First, it denoted a small unit of measure, a "tad," as it were, and a person who was a huckleberry could be a small, unimportant person--usually expressed ironically in mock self-depreciation. The second and more common usage came to mean, in the words of the "Dictionary of American Slang: Second Supplemented Edition" (Crowell, 1975):
"A man; specif., the exact kind of man needed for a particular purpose. 1936: "Well, I'm your huckleberry, Mr. Haney." Tully, "Bruiser," 37. Since 1880, archaic.
The "Historical Dictionary of American Slang" which is a multivolume work, has about a third of a column of citations documenting this meaning all through the latter 19th century.
So "I'm your huckleberry" means "I'm just the man you're looking for!"
Now ain't that a daisy!
The "Daisy" comment is easier. In the late 19th century "daisy" was a common slang term for "the best in it's class." So for "daisy" just substitute "the best" and you'll have it. It was a short-lived idiom and doesn't seem to be popular much after 1890.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3xpSJwmk4"]YouTube - Doc Holiday "I'm Your Huckleberry"[/ame]

and that's not a threat, that's a fact.

GT Fanatic said:
And you ARE a circus monkey. It's as simple as that. We all throw you a banana and watch you dance like a circus monkey. You've got arguments going with at least 3 people in one thread. You're such an easy target, we can't help ourselves.

And since WHEN does ethnicity have ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING I've said to you? Are you calling me a bigot because I called you a circus monkey? If that's the case, YOU are the one hinting that black people resemble monkeys, because that was the furthest thought from my mind.

Now, do yourself a favor and tuck those big fat lips of yours before you get on a bike the next time, because it may hurt if you run over them. ;)

Twisting the panties of 2 pin-heads and 1 bigot FAT BOY has never been so amusing.:D The more the merrier...LOL!

You armchair experts amazingly whine and hypotheticalize (like that word - don't cha'?) about something you know nothing about...most silly...And I KNOW you've never raced a bike so your comments on this thread have a value of less than zero...Like I've told you before Bibendum II, go ride your bike further than that 5 mile loop you currently do and push away from the breakfast, lunch, and dinner tables early...:cool:

K'Ching;3957886 said:
You just won't stop with the insults huh? I'm not sure what a boy your age get's out of insulting poeple on an internet forum, but if it brings any joy to your life, go ahead.

Come on kid. Give me your best shot.

More hypocritical, sorrowful, innocent victim routine...LOL! Actually, I sometimes get much amusement from responding in kind to anonomous, adolescent, armchair expert pin-heads...;)

tonyzackery said:
More hypocritical, sorrowful, innocent victim routine...LOL! Actually, I sometimes get much amusement from responding in kind to anonomous, adolescent, armchair expert pin-heads...;)
I'm glad you're having a bit of fun, but you're just repeating yourself now. An old man like you should be able to do better.

Give it a go!

Status
Not open for further replies.