Should I buy this bike?

Cori

Guest
I'm in the market this year for a better bike. I just started biking last year, so I got an ultra
cheap Mongoose. I'd like to become much more serious about it this year. I intend to do a Century
Ride in NYC in September, a couple of shorter festival rides. (NYC in May, and Montreal in June)

I came across a Cannondale R500 Feminine Triple yesterday. It's a 2002 so they'll take 30% off on
it. It seems like a great bargain.

Should I not let this bike get away?

Cori

Cori wrote:

> I came across a Cannondale R500 Feminine Triple yesterday. It's a 2002 so they'll take 30% off on
> it. It seems like a great bargain.

You should expect a discount on any 2002 model, so the 30% discount is not that special. If you're
looking at the Road Warrior 500, that looks like a decent entry level hybrid. For a century, I would
rather have a road bike that fits than a hybrid (better aerodynamics, more hand positions). But
plenty of people do long distances on hybrids, and even mountain bikes.

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cori wrote:
>
> > I came across a Cannondale R500 Feminine Triple yesterday. It's a 2002 so they'll take 30% off
> > on it. It seems like a great bargain.
>
> You should expect a discount on any 2002 model, so the 30% discount is not that special. If you're
> looking at the Road Warrior 500, that looks like a decent entry level hybrid. For a century, I
> would rather have a road bike that fits than a hybrid (better aerodynamics, more hand positions).
> But plenty of people do long distances on hybrids, and even mountain bikes.

Ummmm, Terry, the 2002 R500 *is* a road bike.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/02/cusa/model-2RW5T.html

You are right about the Road Warrior, it is a completely different beast.

One of my road bikes is an R600 and it has been a fine ride for several years. Cori, the R500 would
be a good entry level road bike, especially if the price is right.

Good luck, Buck

>I'm in the market this year for a better bike. I just started biking last year, so I got an ultra
>cheap Mongoose. I'd like to become much more serious about it this year. I intend to do a Century
>Ride in NYC in September, a couple of shorter festival rides. (NYC in May, and Montreal in June) I
>came across a Cannondale R500 Feminine Triple yesterday. It's a 2002 so they'll take 30% off on it.
>It seems like a great bargain. Should I not let this bike get away?

The most important question is, does the bike fit? If it does, then it sounds like a good deal.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

> Ummmm, Terry, the 2002 R500 *is* a road bike.
>
> http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/02/cusa/model-2RW5T.html
>
> You are right about the Road Warrior, it is a completely different beast.
>
> One of my road bikes is an R600 and it has been a fine ride for several years. Cori, the R500
> would be a good entry level road bike, especially if the price is right.
>
> Good luck, Buck

With the 30% off it's going to be $770. I'm comparing that to the Trek 7500FX, the Specialized
Sirrus Expert, and the Gray Fisher Utopia which are all at that price point. Thinking about it, I
really should go for the Cannondale...

Cori

Cori wrote:

>I came across a Cannondale R500 Feminine Triple yesterday. It's a 2002 so they'll take 30% off on
>it. It seems like a great bargain.

The R500 is an excellent bike, comfortable and responsive. I and my granddaughter have put 100's of
miles on ours with no problems, including very long rides (80-100 miles)on chip and seal pavements -
the combination of wishbone seat stays and carbon fiber fork smooth the vibration out very well.

Be very careful about fit, especially with the feminine model. I found that proportionately the top
tube length on the feminine was too short for my granddaughter's reach, so I ended up getting her
the regular (non-feminine) model. I would say that the price looks good, if it fits you well (proper
fit can't be stressed too much).

>With the 30% off it's going to be $770. I'm comparing that to the Trek 7500FX,the Specialized
>Sirrus Expert, and the Gray Fisher Utopia which >are all at that price point. Thinking about it, I
>really should go for >the Cannondale...

You don't say whether the other bikes are 2002 or 2003 models. The other bikes you listed are all
hybrids and are in no way comparable to the R500 on the road or in component quality.

If you are going to be doing centuries (and training for them), you will be much more comfortable
(and less tired and sore at the end) on the R500, IF IT FITS.

Alexander Gilchrist

> If you are going to be doing centuries (and training for them), you will be much more comfortable
> (and less tired and sore at the end) on the R500, IF IT FITS.
>
> Alexander Gilchrist

I did 'try' the bike on. There seemed to be 1 - 1 1/2 leeway. Salesguy recommended inch, my bike
bible recommends 2 inch. Unfortunately the weather isn't conducive a test drive at the moment. I'm
going to take DH there and get his honest opinion.

Cori

> I did 'try' the bike on. There seemed to be 1 - 1 1/2 leeway. Salesguy recommended inch, my bike
> bible recommends 2 inch. Unfortunately the weather isn't conducive a test drive at the moment. I'm
> going to take DH there and get his honest opinion.

If by "leeway" you mean clearance over the top tube, that's almost irrelevant on a road bike (with
the exception that, if clearance is too great, it might be an indication that the handlebars could
be too low). Proper sizing has more to do with the correct reach from seat to bars, as well as the
drop from saddle to bars.

As others have mentioned, a test-ride is a very good idea. We've got an article on our website that
will help you get the most out of the test-ride, as well as give you an idea of the quality of the
shop. It can be found at http://www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm

"Cori" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > If you are going to be doing centuries (and training for them), you will be much more
> > comfortable (and less tired and sore at the end) on the R500, IF IT FITS.
> >
> > Alexander Gilchrist
>
> I did 'try' the bike on. There seemed to be 1 - 1 1/2 leeway. Salesguy recommended inch, my bike
> bible recommends 2 inch. Unfortunately the weather isn't conducive a test drive at the moment. I'm
> going to take DH there and get his honest opinion.
>
> Cori

It is a nice bicycle. If it fits you, you should definitely consider it. My wife bought a used R 600
a couple years ago and she loves it. Make sure your bike fits you. It is no bargain if it doesn't.