Should I fly with CO2 cartridges?

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
I leave for a trip this weekend and am flying with my bike. I will have my saddle bag with me and in it are some co2 cartridges. Will they be okay to fly with? I'm thinking they won't be because I have heard that you need to deflate your tires therefore leading me to believe highly pressurized air will not do well. True or False?

rudycyclist said:
I leave for a trip this weekend and am flying with my bike. I will have my saddle bag with me and in it are some co2 cartridges. Will they be okay to fly with? I'm thinking they won't be because I have heard that you need to deflate your tires therefore leading me to believe highly pressurized air will not do well. True or False?
I don't see why they would present any risk at all to the aircraft as checked baggage. CO2 isn't a fuel or oxidizer, and the container is certainly capable of handling any small relative pressure increase. Actually, would think reduced temperatures in the cargo compartment at altitude would result in lower pressure than experienced at sea level on a hot day. Suggest you check with the airlines so you don't run afoul of regulations, but I'd have no concerns about flying with them.

rudycyclist said:
No!

Buy new ones when you get to your location. Donate them to another cyclist before you leave.

rudycyclist said:

They are absolutely not permitted on airplanes, despite what the theoretical risks or lack thereof. Yes, buy some locally. If you try to sneak them by security and get caught, you could really screw up your travel.

You do not need to deflate your tires. See this recent discussion by Lennard Zinn in Velonews on these travel issues.

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/11945.0.html

Don't do it. Or you'll find airport security getting nasty on you. They aren't going to take their time in finding out what those canisters are during these unsecure times.

... buy a Topeak Micro pump. The carbon one is 55 grams an it fits into their smaller undersaddle bag or in your pocket... Pumps up to 160psi!!!, the only downside is it'll take you a bit of time to get full pressure... gives your arm a good workout :)

but you can fly with that stuff. i flew with stuff in the military that the normal airlines would have a stroke about if someone even said it. compressed, flammable, explosives, all kinds of chemicals. but they do it for terriroist reasons. but yeah that stuff doesn't blow up on there. if anything lower amosphereic presures lower the psi a bit

anyway as said it's a no no for civi's

izatt82 said:
but you can fly with that stuff. i flew with stuff in the military that the normal airlines would have a stroke about if someone even said it. compressed, flammable, explosives, all kinds of chemicals. but they do it for terriroist reasons. but yeah that stuff doesn't blow up on there. if anything lower amosphereic presures lower the psi a bit

anyway as said it's a no no for civi's
I used to carry on my butane lighter, and light up a pipe for a relaxing smoke after dinner on the plane. As I recall, the flame was about twice as high as usual at cabin altitude....but no one seemed concerned then. Air travel has changed just a bit :)

izatt82 said:
but you can fly with that stuff. i flew with stuff in the military that the normal airlines would have a stroke about if someone even said it...
Yep, you can say that again. Military even fly atomic bombs all over the place... Just mad! :rolleyes:

Gentlemen, Gentlemen! Are you really serious about risking an arrest, potential felony or misdemeanor charges, fines, legal fees, for the sake of $6.00 worth of CO2 cartridges? Forget air pressure, temperature, what the military does. What if you get stopped by some Gung Ho weenie new hire who's looking to make a bust to justify his employment? Please!

Agreed. It doesn't matter how stupid we might think the rules are and how likely it is that a CO2 cartridge cretes any problems on an airplane (which is highly unlikely, if you ask me).
It's illegal to take them aboard. Period.
If anyone want to risk it anyway, fine, but looking at the consequenses of violating airline security regulations and comparing them with the necessity of hanging on to your precious CO2 cartridges... No... Not worth it!

It is one of those crazy oxymorons.

The fire bottles on the aircraft are most likely to be filled with CO2 (well since BCF got banned for eating the ozone layer).
If anything in the event of a crash the CO2 bottles in your saddle bag will put out the fire on your bike seat, but not much else.

At altitude the Pd will not be high enough to pop the cylinders either.
Further in the event of rapid decompression there is more stuff going on than people want to dream about....

BUT these little canisters are Dangerious Air Cargo none the less, so leave them behind.

As for your tyres, yes if you have filled them with air (the stuff with 18.something % oxygen) then let a few PSI out to be safe.

In case you are wondering what aircraft tyres are filled with; it is Nitrogen. This has a very small expansion coefficient.

Have a safe flight.

dhk2 said:
I used to carry on my butane lighter, and light up a pipe for a relaxing smoke after dinner on the plane. As I recall, the flame was about twice as high as usual at cabin altitude....but no one seemed concerned then. Air travel has changed just a bit :)
Just a little.
Everybody has gone soft!

We no longer have people climbing out on wings to put out engine fires either....

Soft I Say!!!

Well, the last guy we had do that earned a VC for his efforts....