should i grease my carbon seatpost or not????

D132

Aug 15, 2007
hi there!!!! :D
i just bought a new carbon seatpost and i want to put it on my aluminium frame... But i've read threat about people having problems to remove the seatpost later on... so what should i do? do i grease or not? how do i remove the grease that was already inside my seatpost "hole"? :confused:

thnks in advance

I de-burr and radius the corner of the seat tube (or its' insert) prior to installation of a seatpost. Grease and chips/dirt can be cleaned out using a rag wrapped around a wood dowel.

Personally, I do grease my carbon posts in both a Ti frame and a carbon frame with aluminum insert.

I'd check the manufacturer's website for information. For example, Ritchey say "no, don't use normal grease" pretty strongly:

Make sure all carbon clamping areas are absolutely free of grease and other lubricants. Grease will penetrate the surface of the carbon material, reducing the coefficient of friction and hence impairing the hold and undermining the stability of joined parts. Greased carbon may never again provide a safe clamping surface. If you install carbon parts, use RITCHEY Liquid Torque to achieve optimum friction where parts connect...

The "carbon prep" greases out there contain a sort of gritty material that helps avoid slipping. There's a Ritchey-branded one and Tacx do one as well. Cheap enough to buy. Both the LBSs that I go to use them on carbon parts all the time.

D132 said:
hi there!!!! :D
i just bought a new carbon seatpost and i want to put it on my aluminium frame... But i've read threat about people having problems to remove the seatpost later on... so what should i do? do i grease or not? how do i remove the grease that was already inside my seatpost "hole"? :confused:

thnks in advance
CF and aluminum bond in a wonderful and permenant fashion after a period of time if not greased. I'm talking to the point of having to destroy either the post or the frame to separate them. It's that old galvanic reaction thing. Use grease, if only a little, and it will save you a major problem.

The grease on CF myth is mighty persistent. Does grease damage CF? No. Not at all. If that were the case, all kinds of CF bits in motorsports, aerospace, and cycling would fall to pieces. In one of his technically correct pieces, Leonard Zinn interviewed all sorts of CF manufacturers and composite people and was uniformly told that CF and grease work fine together. If it didn't, you'd think those folks at Tune would be worried about the CF axles in a few of their hubs. You'd think Campy would be worried about derailleurs. I'll bet F1 and IndyCar crew chiefs would immediately develop perforated ulcers and have seizures and nervous breakdowns: after all, those über important CF suspension bits are right up against all kinds o' greasy things.

And what about that lowly CF steerer? Surely grease never gets on that.:rolleyes:

If you have a squeaky post, put grease on it or use some of the various CF preps out there.

I've had grease on my 127g, 350mm CF post for 6 months or so with nary a slip at all. The post is still where it was inserted. Oh, hey, I did torque the seat tube binder bolt to its minimum value. Oh yeah....my CF/boron hub shells and boron axles are in constant contact with grease. Imagine that. And my CF cranks get grease on 'em.

And you know what? Some folks will grease the CF seat rails or CF seat post clamps to quell squeaking. Oh, golly: the horror of it all.

So much for that whole grease soaking in thing.

Grease is easy to clean off CF, too. White Lightning's Metal Prep works great (also great for removing excess glue on tubie glue ups.). The other usual solvents work, too.

The one thing you do need to do is periodically--like annually--pull out the seat post so that it doesn't seize in the seat tube.

Also, in general, you don't want to focus high powered lasers or high energy particle beams on your CF bits. Also, avoid dunking them in liquid helium and then subjecting them to impacts immediately after. Cutting torches are also a definite no-no. Water soluable, edible lubes are definitely ok. Also, if you mistakenly use your CF bits to try and moderate a nuclear fission process, please dispose of those bits properly later.

alienator said:

I've had grease on my 127g, 350mm CF post for 6 months or so with nary a slip at all. The post is still where it was inserted. Oh, hey, I did torque the seat tube binder bolt to its minimum value. Oh yeah....my CF/boron hub shells and boron axles are in constant contact with grease. Imagine that. And my CF cranks get grease on 'em.
127g 350mm post? That sounds borderline weight weenie...:eek: