Should I Mail Order?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jeff, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting these
    home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a great
    savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.

    Thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. Jamesteroh

    Jamesteroh Guest

    Our mail order benefit is the same. You get 3 months of insulin for a 2month copay.

    I have never had a problem. They always get shipped overnight with a gelpack.

    I would make sure you give an address to ship to where a person is during the day because UPS won't
    just leave meds.

    >Subject: Should I Mail Order? From: [email protected] (Jeff) Date: 02/10/2004 2:13 PM Eastern
    >Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
    >these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a
    >great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
    >
    >Thoughts?

  3. "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
    > these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a
    > great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.

    If they will ship it to you packed in an ice pack, go for it. That usually assumes that they send it
    FedEx overnight too. Aetna does that for me.

    --
    George Eberhardt
    (732)224-8988

  4. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Jeff wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
    >these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a
    >great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
    >
    >Thoughts?

    Aetna sends mine in a Polystyrene foam container with the insulin vials surrounded by a water-
    filled gel pack. That gives it very good protection from either freezing or overheating. It's
    also a rush, rush, do not freeze priority.

    So far, so good.

    Regards
    Old Al

  5. "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
    > these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a
    > great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    My health insurance also just started offering this deal. All of my diabetic supplies are a $10
    copay each per month. I have another maintenance drug witha $10 copay. I also take two asthma
    medications, and those are $25/month. I don't get refills for things like syringes & pen needles
    often, since I reuse them and a one month supply can last me a good long time.

    I was wondering what they did for the insulin so I called up the place that handles the mail order
    pharmacy for my plan, and the woman told me that they do pack it in insulation and ship it
    overnight. I went back to read the letter they sent, and it said that standard delivery is free, but
    if you want it next day or second day, you had to pay. I didn't think to ask about that when I was
    on the phone. I'm not sure if I would have to pay any shipping, since the insulin would have to be
    shipped quickly. I'm in New York, and I think the mail order place is in Texas.

    I think I might get my two asthma medications through mail order, since the time factor isn't
    important and saving $50 every three months is worth it, but I'll probably stick to the local
    pharmacy for the insulin and strips.

    Liz

  6. "Elizabeth Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
    > > these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not
    > > a great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
    >
    > I was wondering what they did for the insulin so I called up the place
    that
    > handles the mail order pharmacy for my plan, and the woman told me that
    they
    > do pack it in insulation and ship it overnight. I went back to read the letter they sent, and it
    > said that standard delivery is free, but if you want it next day or second day, you had to pay. I
    > didn't think to ask
    about
    > that when I was on the phone. I'm not sure if I would have to pay any shipping, since the insulin
    > would have to be shipped quickly. I'm in New York, and I think the mail order place is in Texas.

    Aetna has the same pay for overnight deal, but for stuff that is sent with gelpack, they don't
    charge the overnight charge. I assume that would be true for any mail order pharmacy. After all,
    they REALLY don't want to replace all that insulin because it got too hot.

    --
    George Eberhardt
    (732)224-8988