Should I Mail Order?

J

Jeff

I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting these
home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a great
savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.

Thoughts?

Our mail order benefit is the same. You get 3 months of insulin for a 2month copay.

I have never had a problem. They always get shipped overnight with a gelpack.

I would make sure you give an address to ship to where a person is during the day because UPS won't
just leave meds.

>Subject: Should I Mail Order? From: [email protected] (Jeff) Date: 02/10/2004 2:13 PM Eastern
>Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
>
>I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
>these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a
>great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>
>

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
> these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a
> great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
>
If they will ship it to you packed in an ice pack, go for it. That usually assumes that they send it
FedEx overnight too. Aetna does that for me.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Jeff wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
>these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a
>great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
>
>Thoughts?

Aetna sends mine in a Polystyrene foam container with the insulin vials surrounded by a water-
filled gel pack. That gives it very good protection from either freezing or overheating. It's
also a rush, rush, do not freeze priority.

So far, so good.

Regards
Old Al

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
> these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not a
> great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
>
> Thoughts?

My health insurance also just started offering this deal. All of my diabetic supplies are a $10
copay each per month. I have another maintenance drug witha $10 copay. I also take two asthma
medications, and those are $25/month. I don't get refills for things like syringes & pen needles
often, since I reuse them and a one month supply can last me a good long time.

I was wondering what they did for the insulin so I called up the place that handles the mail order
pharmacy for my plan, and the woman told me that they do pack it in insulation and ship it
overnight. I went back to read the letter they sent, and it said that standard delivery is free, but
if you want it next day or second day, you had to pay. I didn't think to ask about that when I was
on the phone. I'm not sure if I would have to pay any shipping, since the insulin would have to be
shipped quickly. I'm in New York, and I think the mail order place is in Texas.

I think I might get my two asthma medications through mail order, since the time factor isn't
important and saving $50 every three months is worth it, but I'll probably stick to the local
pharmacy for the insulin and strips.

Liz

"Elizabeth Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've read alot here about how "fragile" Novolog and Lantus are... Should I worry about getting
> > these home delivered? I can get a three months supply for the deductable cost of two months. Not
> > a great savings, but hey, $20 is alot of money if you don't have it.
>
> I was wondering what they did for the insulin so I called up the place
that
> handles the mail order pharmacy for my plan, and the woman told me that
they
> do pack it in insulation and ship it overnight. I went back to read the letter they sent, and it
> said that standard delivery is free, but if you want it next day or second day, you had to pay. I
> didn't think to ask
about
> that when I was on the phone. I'm not sure if I would have to pay any shipping, since the insulin
> would have to be shipped quickly. I'm in New York, and I think the mail order place is in Texas.
>
Aetna has the same pay for overnight deal, but for stuff that is sent with gelpack, they don't
charge the overnight charge. I assume that would be true for any mail order pharmacy. After all,
they REALLY don't want to replace all that insulin because it got too hot.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988