Should I switch to Shimano FC-R700 Compact Cranks or Ultregra FC-6600s?

Serafino

Jul 30, 2005
Hi all,

I've come back to the road after ten year hiatus. I'm in my early 40's and I'm riding a 2005 Fuji Team Pro with Ultegra 10 speed drivetrain, 12-25 Ultegra cassette with a TruVativ Rouleur Double crank. I generally do about 250-300 km per week and I'm located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Some rolling hills in the area.

I was thinking of "upgrading" the crank to a Ultegra Hollowtech 2 FC-6600 but my local shop also suggested the new Shimano Compact Crank 50/34 FC-R700 cranks.

What do you think? Good idea in terms of giving me some flexibility in gearing? Does anyone have any experience with these cranks? I understand that they are new for 2006. Any alternatives which would be superior and offer as easy a solution?

From Shimano's site:

Shimano Compact cranks get inner chainrings with tooth profiles that specifically address the greater shifting demands imposed by Compact's 16 tooth difference in chainring size. This special profile is designed to prevent the chain from falling off when shifting down to the inner ring. Combined with other Shimano advances in shifting technology, these rings enable the use of a standard front derailleur with compact cranks.

Compact specific chainrings mean that you don't need to worry about compact specific front derailleurs!

FC-R700_new-popup_v1_m56577569830576225.jpg

Compacts, much like triples were several years ago, are all the rage. While they do have their place, they are not the end all. If you new/returning to cycling you may want to hold off until you feel you have gained sufficient leg strength. At that point the standard double with the 12-25 may feel OK. Another alternative would be to go with a 12-27 right now and you'd still have your 12-25 for later on.

I'm very pleased with my new Shimano R700 compact after almost 500 miles. The mechanic at LOB was worried about it shifting smoothly but I've had absolutley no problems. It shifts crisp and smooth. I switched from DA 10 speed 39-53, 12/25. At age 61 I'm the old guy in our group and in the past I've had problems spinning up the hills with the young punks. Now my lungs, legs, knees and ego are all much happier.

Kona Don,

Do you find yourself tapped out and wishing for a higher gear or does your 50x12 suffice. Any downside with excessive extra-cog shifting?

Serafino said:
Kona Don,

Do you find yourself tapped out and wishing for a higher gear or does your 50x12 suffice. Any downside with excessive extra-cog shifting?
The VERY few times I've wanted a higher gear have been more than offset with the MANY times I've needed the lower gear range. I guess I should explain that my cycling is for pleasure and training for iron man triathlons. I'm not doing stage or crits. For my actual races I'll use a 11/23. And if the course is flat, I can switch back to my 53/39 crank. I'm not a true gear head but with the gear charts I figure that I'm not giving up much (if any) top speed for my style of cycling. And I can't hang with the young punks at speeds over 30 MPH no matter what crank set I'm using.

"Extra-cog" shifting is no problem. I believe the compact crank actually reduces the redundant gear ratios one has with standard and especially triple cranks. Check out www.fullspeedahead.com for a good sales pitch/explanation for their compact cranks.