Sidi Dominator 5 Mega - Brooks Proofide for bad weather protection?

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jay wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> The fender (IME) needs a flap that hangs down low and wide. Won't keep
>>> all the spray off, but the more the better.
>>>
>>> Better than having little piles of snow gather on the front end of the
>>> shoes. --D-y
>>>

>> I think you are right about the fender flap. That would probably be the
>> best way to keep front wheel spray off my feet. I just don't like
>> fenders - it is a neurotic thing with me, not rational.

> Fenders & flaps really shine in a few situations. I think they're most
> useful when the roads are wet and the temperatures are low, particularly
> when there's a lot of sand on the roads -- typical around here when the
> snows are melting and creating a lot of run off and standing water.
> Without fenders you (and your bike) not only get wet, but filthy. In heavy
> rain, fenders make less of a difference, but there's still a big advantage
> in dealing with falling drops from above versus a steady torrent being
> kicked up by your wheels. Over the past few years, I've noticed more and
> more of the local club riders becoming converts. Year 'round riding in a
> location like New England requires some adaptations to make it tolerable.
> A lot of people just stop riding when things get nasty, but I think that's
> a shame.
>

>> So I just bought 'Louis Garneau Toe Covers' online. It looks like they
>> will (hopefully) keep my toes dry, while still allowing me to walk
>> without removing them. My gaiters protect the area from my knees down,
>> including the back half of the shoe.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Louis-Garneau-Toe-Cover/dp/B0009YTFJE
>>
>> I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned Sidi Toasters yet
>> http://www.sidiusa.com/toaster.html . I am both a gadget guy and a
>> computer guy, but $300 is a little more than I want to throw at the
>> cold-feet-in-winter problem.

> I think that's the common reaction. I've found that a couple of pairs of
> good socks combined with over-sized shoes and insulating insoles works OK
> for most of the winter.

You probably know LLBean has many things in tall sizes. My current LLBean
GTX rain pants are great. I think this is the link http://tinyurl.com/2laxyb

I bought mine a few months ago. At that time, you actually had to specify
the exact inseam length! Just like if you were buying dress slacks or a
suit. For LLBean rain gear, always look for 'extreme conditions', those
exact words. Anything less is for casual use, and you will get wet.

I have kept LLBean on my preferred list, mostly because they have not
forgotten tall customers. Never had a problem with them, and I am talking
decades.

J.

In article
<[email protected]>,
> [...]

> >> the neoprene booties sold for cycling -- besides being expensive, they
> >> kept my feet neither warm nor dry. I'd rather wear thick socks and a
> >> thin waterproof cover.
> >>
> >> Me in full "wet suit":http://home.comcast.net/~peter_cole/ice5.jpg
> >>
> >> (Not a child's bike, I'm a ridiculously large individual)- Hide quoted text -

> > At what point in your life as a 'cyclist' does one look at your setup,
> > from single geared bike to yellow vinyl clothing, and say, "This guy
> > knows what's up!"

> I've experimented with a lot of things over the years, I enjoy the
> challenge of trying to beat the New England winters.
>

> > Where'd you get the duds?

> The rain jacket (DWR Ultrex) was custom made by Gekko Gear (now Col'd
> Lizard) -- 40" sleeves, etc. Much of my other clothing was too, bib
> tights from Young Originals (great place). The knickers (coated fabric)
> are just normal size rain pants, knickers for me. The latex over boots
> are industrial supply (~$5/pr). I am a long time sewer and like to hack
> clothes or make things from scratch with unusual materials.
>

> Is the seat reinforced?
>
> No, it's a cheap, shiny plastic surfaced Selle Italia that I got in a
> bargain bin for <$10, perfect for foul weather.
>

> > Also: the Sidi pleather _is_ great stuff. During the winter I used to
> > cover my shoes with duct tape. I know, I'm a lazy *******. Worked
> > pretty well for me though. I second the neoprene thoughts as well. My
> > huge, heavy, hernia-inducing-to-pull-on Pearl Izumis might have put
> > off the inevitable for a bit, but ultimately if your feet aren't
> > moving the just aren't generating much heat to insulate. I have a pair
> > of those little toecovers, though, and I'm thinking of picking up some
> > microwaveable warming packs to fit between the top of my shoe and the
> > toecover. Won't keep you dry, but warm is close enough.

> I use the duct tape approach for shoes with mesh on the toes. My current
> Sidis (one mega for winter, one regular for summer) are both MTB models
> with no mesh.
>
> Feet are without doubt the hardest problem to solve in cold/wet weather.
> I did come up with a solution for severe cold, I made some heavy fleece
> toe covers with some 4-way stretch fleece over boots with vinyl soles
> (think slipper socks). Those, combined with two pairs of socks (thin
> inner, thick outer), allowed me to ride 2 hours at temps around 0F
> without cold feet. I have had at least 3 pairs of neoprene booties and
> never found them to be much help, plus they're a real PITA to get on &
> off and invariably tear or break zippers. Perhaps mine were too small,
> but my experience with neoprene gloves was similar (not real warm).
>
> A lot of guys around here buy the air activated foot warmers in bulk.
> One guy had the electrically heated insoles and said they worked great
> (I think PI has a new one, too). Being a gadget freak, I'd go for it,

I do not ride in cold weather now.
I grew up in and rode in Michigan;
and rode in Massachusetts.
I never paid attention to feet and hands.
They got cold, then warmed up again inside.
It is the east European peasant in me.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:

> I do not ride in cold weather now.
> I grew up in and rode in Michigan;
> and rode in Massachusetts.
> I never paid attention to feet and hands.
> They got cold, then warmed up again inside.
> It is the east European peasant in me.

A couple of thoughts: mittens are much warmer than gloves, and clipless
shoes seem to make your feet much colder than even sneakers.